Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048

    Urgent Advice Needed regarding OLD CLIENTS sold off.

    Dear All

    In Reg. http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=558750


    I sold my hosting clients to the company "myinternethost.net"

    They had me help them buy a Cpanel vps and set it up and move the clients,
    all was done fine. They then told me they had hired Cpanel techs and had support
    so I left them though he asked me to stick around in touch if they had any issues.

    Weird..my clients (ex-clients) have been blasting me since 2 days nonstop now, that the new host who
    bought my company out (hosting area) have a broken Mysql and no one has fixed it nor
    did the 24x7 support they offer get emails back to them or replies to them.

    In fact, oddly yesterday he came online (the new buyer) and told me some issues were there
    so I went in the box and fixed it up and left. I am really frustrated since I officially sold
    my hosting business (incl. clients) to a new host in respect that the new host promised to uphold great
    quality hosting and that he had a great support team. He did mention he was new to CPanel hosting
    but had later got techs (as my msn chats say).

    However, my ex-client's sites are down (Sql is broken) and this is getting out of hand.
    The clients are shouting that I sent them to a real bad host. What do I do.

    As far as legality goes, I believe selling my company's hosting dept to the buyer -
    he paid me and its done. I have reinvested the income into some other projects, etc.

    Now clients are going bananas and want to be back with me since some of them have unused months with me - which
    was also transffered to the new host who promised the free months but it seems with everything down on that end - they
    are SHOUTING to get back, few of them refusing to change hosting to this new buyer seeing
    no reliability in two days.

    What do i do?

    I am restoring backups and will alow them to updatre dns back to me, however I'm sure the new host will be pissed off
    so I emailed him sayihng get it fixed and take back YOUR New clients, since ive left the HOSTNG Biz entirely.


    There was no agreement on refunding the buyout since a buyout is a buyout and I dare not get into hosting
    again anyhow for the INTL market. However this issue has caused me major problems and I am really confused
    on what to do.

    I need POSTERS OVER 1000+ Posts and Mods and Admins to reply ONLY since this needs a BIG decision on how to play
    this situation out....It's total chaos here and I have 20 clients screaming out !

    I have almost all my clients ready to send legal notices to me and also write a letter and have ME publish it saying that they are not at all satisifed with the guy who bought out my hosting dept and has made a mess. But I dont want to host them anymore since that idea was to sell out. And I am sure not ready to give up the 200$ which the new buyer paid for the work I did setting up his vps , installing everything, moving everything over - making SURE all sites worked till god knows what started happening!


    Regards,

    The7Planets Admin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,797
    What agreements were in place prior to handing over your clients? Did you research the host, both here and google?
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Yes no issues of such that I noticed.

    Agreemtns ,once sold they were his clients and not mine.

    That was the main specifics

    And that I would live the INTL hosting biz however, that is now in a mess with clients wanting to get back, etc. and the new host not replying to support emails or having someone fix things. He had a tech on the server last nite and according to him his techs know how to use it ..guess not!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by fremont
    Yes no issues of such that I noticed.

    Agreemtns ,once sold they were his clients and not mine.

    That was the main specifics

    And that I would live the INTL hosting biz however, that is now in a mess with clients wanting to get back, etc. and the new host not replying to support emails or having someone fix things. He had a tech on the server last nite and according to him his techs know how to use it ..guess not!
    Well "in case once sold they were his clients and not mine".

    What's the matter?

    Did you advised your old clients that you wanted to sell the business?

    If yes you have nothing to blaim, in my opinion

    tempflash

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    True they are are all aware of it but not happy that I sent them to a guy whose made a mess of things and now they want refunds from me..or me to host them...which makes it a legal issue since the clients though agreed have not signed any documentation suggesting they agree with our terms...though im nto sure if they have any right to or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by fremont
    True they are are all aware of it but not happy that I sent them to a guy whose made a mess of things and now they want refunds from me..or me to host them...which makes it a legal issue since the clients though agreed have not signed any documentation suggesting they agree with our terms...though im nto sure if they have any right to or not.
    But your clients signed some type of contract with you or not?

    In case yes you had to send them and advice few weeks before advising that you were selling your company/clients to other people, and that I they wish they could get refund for that (money since expiry date per client) or in case no reply on your advise they agreed with new partnership (or writing something similar).

    I think you won't have any legal issue mainly if they paid for small amount.

    That's my opinion

    tempflash

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    There was no such contract. No terms or conditions . No Money Back Guarantee , etc .Yet I feel helpless ...because they have paid for hosting and they have several months left on some of their plans with me, and since those plans were agreed to be carried to the new host , he doesnt seem to care OR is just about each $s he earns quickly and not support it SEEMS now. These are clietns whove been used to 100% uptime for over 2 months and are seeing downtime in over a day now Id love to host them again but cant...do I have a right to advise them to look for anew host or what.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Quad Cities, Iowa
    Posts
    1,597
    The best thing to do in your case is to advise any clients that you are deeply sorry that the buyer doesn't know what he is doing but it's out of your hands as it's no longer your company. Taking back any clients will only get you in a legal mess with the buyer.

    The most you should do is reccommend a host that you know is stable. If you really wanted to, you could even help a few move to the new host. I probably wouldn't use any affilliate links for the host you reccommend as that could maybe get you in a legal mess with the buyer as well.

    P.S. I am not a lawyer, so before taking any action get a legal opinion.

    Is 977 post close enough to 1000? Does it matter that I've been registered here since 2002?
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

    cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    I need POSTERS OVER 1000+ Posts and Mods and Admins to reply ONLY since this needs a BIG decision on how to play
    this situation out....It's total chaos here and I have 20 clients screaming out !
    High post counts and mod titles don't make people lawyers.

    I get the feeling that the legal side of things was neglected in the dealings you had with the buyer and even with your customers, which is why the situation is so unclear now. It's hard to voice an opinion of any kind without knowing your contractual obligations, be they written or verbal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Written obligations - none with clients, however many are people ive known personally for year/s so its hard to leave them stranded.

    Written obligations - with the buyer..clients will be his . HOWEVER, there is no mention of in case he fails to maintain the clients what would happen.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    I am debating to refund the buyer his money though he hasnt contacted me yet..He's probably fast asleep .... I would be an *** to let such valued clients who have had a great time with us go down with bad words about us even if we stopped our business.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,210
    Ditto ldcdc's post on high post counts.

    My opinion, based on what you have written, is that you need to walk away from this one, however hard that may be. I understand your distress at seeing former clients you obviously still care for being treated so shabbily, but if you start to get reinvolved at this point you may find yourself flirting with a tortious interference suit.

    Youir only viable option - and again, this is jst my opinion, you should really contact an attorney before proceeding with anything - is to work something out with the current owner.

    Unfortunately, your situation and that of your former clients is a consequence of selling out to an inexperienced buyer.

    Best of luck.

    -Bob
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    Is 977 post close enough to 1000? Does it matter that I've been registered here since 2002?
    95 posts since Oct 2006 :p

    Anyway, you made a business decision. You can stick to it and leave those that you've had a clients with less 100% service or be a human being and try to buy them back from the new host.

    Personally, I would recommend and help every one of them move to a NEW host asap. If it was me I'd probably help someone start up a new company in their name and move them all to that one but look after it myself! (If they are mainly my friends/colleagues that you said above).

    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,439
    Mr. Burns (the simpsons) once sold his nuclear plant to germans, after a few weeks of bad management the company was falling appart. When Burns saw that the germans were desperate, he offered them 50% of the price they paid to buy the company back.

    I think that's what you should do in this case, offer the new owner something to buy them back. If it doesn't work do what the other posters have said and walk away.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    You need to talk to an attorney immediately.

    My guess would be (and this is NOT legal advice and could be totally wrong) - if you didn't sign a non-compete agreement, tell the new owners that you will give them 3 days to get things stable and then you're going to let them resign up with you.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Thanks Tina..that sounds fair and fine.

    Billy that was an amazing anacdote from Simpsons Had be smiling for a change from my crapppy mood.

    Two of those clients from the 8 moved off and are planning to get their own vps / dedicated soon. One of them says he wants a refund from me...and is pissed cuz his isp and some other countries fail to open his site/s (same dc though weird isnt it)

    Anyhow, I like the idea...of telling him to fix it up. Then the clients can decide what to do and who to stay with.


    Regards,

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Have emailed him:

    Dear Admin,

    The clients I sold you with my hosting company are complaining of downtime, mismanagement and sql issues for over 20 hours.
    They have emailed you without replies (Andy Xthost) and have decided they will find their own dedicated server soon. Another client Kdmail (Sedat) has told me no one in Turkey,Holland and Germany can access his site and has thus changed his DNS to the old server UNTIL you fix this and EMAIL HIM BACK. Clients have been telling me that you are not replying or that your 24/7 support is just a one man show (YOU). I have posted this entire episode on WHT and they feel (members) that if you cant provide quality support and quality hosting to them, its better you don't host them. However since these are your clients and not mine I wont interfere UNLESS they ask me to do so - till now 2 of them have reached me and have asked for my help. I feel that if you cannot clear your issue and control YOUR CLIENTS and KEEP THEM HAPPY , I would be forced to allow them to come back to me and offer them to a more SUITABLE host.
    I will however not contact ANY of them unless they come to me for help. Since I have not signed any non-compete agreement, I believe it is in my jurisdiction to help any of them that are upset or grieved over this. As far as today - only 2 of the clients Andy and Sedat have approached me though I notcied many did complain. Please use your quality hosting and your image that you hold and put it up on the line , and give these clients what they deserve and not what they regret. I hope you help them with this. I trust you invested in the right place for the right future gains.

    Regards,

    -------------------------

    I really hope no more clients go round the world complaining and he sorts it out. I have already contacted a few organizations (legal) here. Thank Tina again.

  18. #18
    As a customer of The7Planets i was very unhappy at the utter responce or rather none from the new host, 48 hours our sites have been down and no reply over the MySql email we sent the host.

    We have decided to go and buy a dedicated server instead, and hope the other clients are able to sort their issues in one way or other, shivam has helped us thus far and we thank him for this.

    All i will say shivam is to try and host those who had free months still standing with you since they payed "you" not this new host for their hosting.

    Andy. Xthost - Zero-7

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Well not what I would prefer to hear...."host them cuz they paid me" but I guess its fair...But anyhow..Id like to clear this up with you Andy... I cant go to them and ask them back since its unethical but yes, if people like you (clients) have issues Id give you temporary haven till I can sort out a better host for you all. I dont have any wish to continue hosting yet I dont want to drop anyone to a broken boat.

    Will try to see whats best for everyone - clients , me and the buyer and hopefully get things straigtened or at the mercy of God (and the judge)

  20. #20
    Fair enough for new clients moving them on, but clients who have payed you for hosting for months you should of kept them back or at least re-embursed their money for those months before moving them over.

    So as to start a-fresh and not have so many problems.

    Not having a proper legal document either was a stupid move, something like this was bound to happen. In the long run you would have been better to have explained to your customers what was going on and let them decide as to what they wanted rather than just moving them over regardless.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    You are correct on some aspects, though the new host promised to cover the free months as well, which is why a pay back to the client's was not needed.

  22. #22
    No but you shouldnt of gone on word of mouth or type of keybord, for valued customers.

    This should be a very good lesson to many new people starting up with hosting look closely here people.

  23. #23
    or you walk away like TMX says or you offer to buy back the company, any other solution is unethical.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,830
    Am I missing something here or are you trying to sell customers that you have sold on already?

    http://webhostingtalk.com/showpost.p...22&postcount=8

    Trying to sell something you don't own is fraud.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    No they are not for sale. I mentione that as in for those clietns who REQUIRE New hosts and have come back to ME saying they WILL NOT host with the new host because of the issues ...instead of leaving them in a fix with their sites down on both sides, I am offering to send them to other hosting companies.

    Regards

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    also read "BID MAY BE STILL OPEN in case

    Regs: http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=560265" IN CASE..with reference to this issue, where as mentioned in above threads that if (since 3 have come back already) asking for a new host or suitable one who replies to support emails, etc and offer uptime and not downtime from day1.

    If that host was doing his work right and getting everything right, id be sleeping and enjoying my Sunday rather than posting and talking to everyone - with white hair coming out...

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,830
    Quote Originally Posted by fremont
    No they are not for sale. I mentione that as in for those clietns who REQUIRE New hosts and have come back to ME saying they WILL NOT host with the new host because of the issues ...instead of leaving them in a fix with their sites down on both sides, I am offering to send them to other hosting companies.

    Regards
    For a price? Also, you are selling 8 of them? Or am I just imagining the "Please continue bids over 250$ USD ONLY"?

    As mentioned previously, you need to talk to a lawyer. You are opening yourself wide open to legal action and you can bet it will be for a lot more than the tiny amount you got for the clients.

    You sold the clients, you have zero right to take them back a few days later or to sell them on again, you also have zero right to move them elsewhere. They are no longer YOUR clients.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    If you sold the client contracts to another party, you have no liability to refund them when they complain. They had a contract with you, you sold that contract. The person buying the contract is responsible to either fulfill the contract or refund it.

    Further, if you have no non-compete agreement with the person who bought the contracts - you are perfectly fine to take on a new contract with the customer under your new company. You cannot, however, simply take the customers back and pick up where you left off and let them assume the old contract with you.

    NOTE: I am not a lawyer and do not take my advice as being legally sound. I'm simply stating my past experience and what I was told at the time.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Bids is sine the clients need a host , which means clients want someone suitable. I am screening them very deligently - the clients are Gods - I'm sure we agree and the best way to get them to best people is buy pricing their worth. Whether you agree on this or not - the client's are happy as long as they find a 100% satisfied hostiing company. Agreed?

    The clients are coming back saying they want to be moved . I cannot move them however I can suggest alternatives. Since they are not my clients I CAN GIVE FREE / PAID Advice. Either you havent heard the clients side (if not mine) or you havent seen the hosting company's support or whats going on.

    Either way, the clients want to be put somewhere. Now I see it in two ways - They dont mind if I get money since Im putting THEM in the best possible hands or ADVISING THEM (if you must hear) . They have no issues of this as long as the advise is from me (since they trust me) and as long as they dont pay money from their pockets.

    Another point to look at is if the Hosting Company who bought it cant hold the clients...and the clients come back to me ... it means in LEGAL TERMS -

    His clients searching for NEW HOSTS , come to me for advise , I find them a better host , Deal it out with the new host (sign an agreement of no competition if required), and let them be happy. No client wants to get thrown around from place to place NOR do they want to get dropped in a broken boat or a ship wreck.

    I HAVE NOT TAKEN THEM BACK. As mentioned in my first post, they COMPLAINED and came to me. At no point of time have I even asked them COME TO ME , you say TAKE THEM BACK...its more like keeping their sites online and them alive ....if you ask me.

    However, its your opinion..my main concern is what to do - whether to help them out or leave them in the hands of the mercyful...but that decision has been made. Whoever comes for help or refuge will be advised where to go. Those who are happy there won't come to me or anyone else WILL THEY?

    Anyhow, the rest is to be played out. For everyone sake, especially mine I hope that company bucks up and put its act together...

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    Tina: Further, if you have no non-compete agreement with the person who bought the contracts - you are perfectly fine to take on a new contract with the customer under your new company. You cannot, however, simply take the customers back and pick up where you left off and let them assume the old contract with you.

    ---- As I said, I dont want to host them...I want them put somewhere right. But at the same time I need to find the best ones. Now I could spend hours searching for the right one and send them somewhere without charging that host anything, HOWEVER I still feel that the clients agree that charging is fine as long as they dont pay, get a good host and can have a happy future there.... I have not asked these clients to come back, they came to me and started blaming me and saying they wanted the old server back (Me) however I told them I cant since I sold the biz to them. I have offered them to advise where go to and work it out for them. I feel if the company that wants them and the company (latest new one) realises the current scenario and wants them and CAN PROVE THEIR WORTH - there is nothing wrong here. I have not contacted them or ask them to come to me. Theyve come and im sure they will vouch on that themselves if any legal issue is opened up - so from that side not worried. More worried now is WHERE and with WHOM to put them up.

  31. #31
    Your problem here shivam is that you didnt ask your clients in the first place if they wanted to be sold on.

    At no point did you even email any of us telling us you were planning on doing this all we got was a email to change the dns's because we'd been moved on.

    Do you think this was right?

    The point is you sold out to a quick bidder so you could get the money for whatever reason and didnt properly look into the new host and how he would be able to manage us.

    I dont feel Any of the clients you sold off are completely happy with this move which is why they are comming back, we didnt want to move in the first place wether you like it or not.

    You should of consulted Us that way we could of moved on in our own way or moved with you in the best direction, its Us who are being hosted here not you!

    For Everyone else here, the basic jist of this conversation is that the current host is dead it doesnt nor isnt working at all for many of us and we've come back to the one person which started all this since the current host wont talk to many of us with no replys to emails.

    I advise you to remove your post in that other topic and stop thinking about making money from Us and move on, help those who are asking for it but be done with it and this is coming from one of your own clients!

    We've asked that you keep hosting us a while untill we get out dedicated server up and running smoothly and your fine with that. As for the the dead host we'll deal with him how we see fit and possibly seek legal action for a refund for the loss of downtime and mess we've been put into.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    All the clients dont mind as long as they dont face downtime or issues. Ive talked to all of them and even your brother (Im assuming this is Rich posting) said he wasnt really bothered about it ( I believe I have that on my msn chat) as well.

    As for your hosting, have I denied it? Ive been most willing to help you and anyone else.

    However, you may feel this is a money making gimmick. If you wish Ill remove the post and let you all do as you please...Im spending my time , busting my balls to help you move. I am selling out my hosting biz in its entirity and you think I enjoy this - spending a sunday typing this when I could be out with my GirlFriend. Excuse me , if you think of me in this way . Because if you do , then you either made a bad decision hosting with me or are saying this because thats what you feel without seeing whats going on.

    Anyhow, if everyone else (clients) want me to remove it I will and let them do what they please. Sadly, I have 4 of them who need trasnfers and don't care how I do it as long as they don't fall in mud. As for you trust me if I didnt care I wouldnt be supporting you at all and would have left you with the other host for all I care...but I DO CARE.

    Anyhow, thats for you to decide and think.
    Your perception is how you see it, and not how it is REALLY there.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,048
    As of now , I have nothing else to add here and the steps for the 4 clients who need quick trasnfer wil be helepd out. Andy and Rich, you may continue hosting until you deal with your other NEW HOST and the Dedicated you are to get.

    Best Wishes to all,
    Thanks for your time....

    Mods may close this topic if there is nothing else to discuss since my main questions have been solved and of course if Rich/Andy have no further additions to make , we can close this topic and hope that the other host does something or the clients find a new host.

    As for the extras....I believe I passed the contracts of clients to the new owner - the new owner has to deal with issues and I will continue with my life and my other work .

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    While this is not a professional legal advice, i will try my best :

    First of all, you didnt conduct the sale by doing the proper legal proceedings i understand.

    Which means that, it will be very hard to prove you have 'sold' the business to someone else, and are not responsible for any damages resulting therein.

    Second, you will still probably be responsible towards your previous clients, since clickthrough agreements and online orders for sales and services of sorts like web hosting & domain name registrations generally hold. And it will be probable for your clients to prove it via their credit card history, emails received and even need be, using the wayback machine (internetarchive.org).

    What i see is you still are legally responsible for your clients according to law in many countries. And the buyer would not be able to prove that they were his/her clients now, since s/he wont have anything to show other than msn history and a payment record of some sorts. This is doubtful to hold in a court of law.

    Hence you should take care of your clients still and try to get proper signatures on a well written paper that is proof of the sale and waiver of damages.

    This was the legal part.

    Professionally, you are still responsible for your clients, in part you didnt (i gather) notice them in advance enough, didnt get proper sale documents, and they are in trouble.

    As it seems, you will have to charge a reasonable administration fee from your buyer and continue maintaining the clients on his/her server, and try to train him on web hosting.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    195
    You could always ask WHP how they keep doing it!!!
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

  36. #36
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    362
    You could always ask WHP how they keep doing it!!!
    Ouch.... LOW BLOW!
    Host, YES! ô
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100
    While this is not a professional legal advice, i will try my best :

    First of all, you didnt conduct the sale by doing the proper legal proceedings i understand.

    Which means that, it will be very hard to prove you have 'sold' the business to someone else, and are not responsible for any damages resulting therein.

    Second, you will still probably be responsible towards your previous clients, since clickthrough agreements and online orders for sales and services of sorts like web hosting & domain name registrations generally hold. And it will be probable for your clients to prove it via their credit card history, emails received and even need be, using the wayback machine (internetarchive.org).

    What i see is you still are legally responsible for your clients according to law in many countries. And the buyer would not be able to prove that they were his/her clients now, since s/he wont have anything to show other than msn history and a payment record of some sorts. This is doubtful to hold in a court of law.

    Hence you should take care of your clients still and try to get proper signatures on a well written paper that is proof of the sale and waiver of damages.

    This was the legal part.

    Professionally, you are still responsible for your clients, in part you didnt (i gather) notice them in advance enough, didnt get proper sale documents, and they are in trouble.

    As it seems, you will have to charge a reasonable administration fee from your buyer and continue maintaining the clients on his/her server, and try to train him on web hosting.

    This has got to be the smartest dumbest thing ever posted. I can't speak for the world, but in the US contracts are all that the courts are concerned about. Selling a company is merely selling its contracts, it's the same with a loan, a car, or a peice of candy. Once the contracts are sold meaning that the ownership has been transferred, the seller is released of all contract obligations and the buyer assumes them. That's it nothing more nothing less. Hurt feelings, morals and the like have no bearing on things that have gone awry after the deal.

    Look at it this way, if the buyer of the contracts is able to charge double does that mean the seller gets the new profit? Of course not. I'm sure there are many on this board who have had their mortgage or at least student loan sold to a different company without warning until the deal was done. Do you call the old lender and complain and tell them you don't like who bought the loan and want them to find a different company for you? Of course not, you deal with the new lender and hold them responsible for whatever pains you are feeling from the deal. Or look at at this way, Comcast just bought out my local cable company last month. My wife noticed one of the cable lines on the street is fraying and she called to get it fixed. Who should she call? Comcast or the local cable company? The line was run by the local company, when we signed up our original agreement is with them. Should we hunt down the old employees and get them to come out and fix it?

    Fact of the matter is fremont is doing above and beyond what he is legally obligated to do.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    To be honest here the host does not have to ask the clients if he wants to sell them or not. Sure it would be nice, but that is not how business works. Does not matter if the clients want to be sold or not if he the host want to sell his clients he has all right to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero7
    Your problem here shivam is that you didnt ask your clients in the first place if they wanted to be sold on.

    At no point did you even email any of us telling us you were planning on doing this all we got was a email to change the dns's because we'd been moved on.

    Do you think this was right?
    I am back....


  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Torith
    To be honest here the host does not have to ask the clients if he wants to sell them or not. Sure it would be nice, but that is not how business works. Does not matter if the clients want to be sold or not if he the host want to sell his clients he has all right to do so.
    The above is correct. You own the business and owning it means every aspect of its operations, resources and customer base. Legally since your company was bought up ( or in this case sold ), its the new host's problem.

    But you can, out of goodwill, if the clients comeback to you provide them with the service, or if you are willing, give them a "pay back" of the amount of months remaining when they sign up with you.

    However here comes another thing... If you sold yur hosting company and starts a new one immediately... what would that project for your own image?

    I encountered this problem before when my company was doing only free web hosting and had to outsource our commercial hostng plans. The outsourced company disappeared and every client came back to me for an answer.... Hosted them on one of my servers and provided them with solutions until they are happy to move off somewhere else.

    My 2 Cents.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

  40. #40
    I don't mean to be rude , but If his company doesn't exsist, as i find it unlikely it is a registered company, your selling your clients as a sole trader, where you would be responsible, since you have No agreements, it would be he says she says.

    This is a pointless discussion as no court would ever recognise that the clients were sold or not sold, you have 0 agreements.

    You should sell, help move and thats it. No more.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •