Considering a host for Joomla website

My first host today is Rack Space. And here's what I got by chatting to one of their reps:

Welcome to Rackspace. My name is <censored> and I am a Live assistant. How may I help you today?

Me: Hello, I wass thinking about considering your product
    Me: was
    Him: Excellent..
    Him: Can you tell me about you hosting needs and requirements?
    Me: I'm going to make a forum
    Me: a new forum that, probably, won't require much bandwidth
    Him: Alright....
    Him: Do you have a plan or structure in mind to start on this forum?
    Me: Joomla
    Him: Alright...
    Him: What criteria are you considering when choosing a provider to host this forum?
    Me: Their reputation, speed, different plans, support, number of emails possible, bandwidth.
    Him: Perfect...
    Him: To address these...
    Him: Speedwise we provide and ensure a 100 mb/second dedicated connection...
    Me: Thanks pretty fast...
    Me: *That's
    Him: and we custom build ewvery solution so the plans are essentially endless..
    Him: Support-wise, we have award winning customer assistance:
    Him: you will have your own dedicated team of technicians, and account manager, and business development consultant who you will be introduced to when you become a client here. They are available 24-7-365 via a toll-free number that connects you directly to your support team(no automated phone systems) to help/advise/assist you with all troubleshooting and hosting issues and concerns. One of the best features is that we do NOT charge you hourly for support and management.
    Me: Great, speaking of the rate, how much is it per month/year?
    Him: Alright, pricewise, I can tell you that our linux solutions start in the neighborhood of $350-$450 per month and, of course, with that we provide 24//7/365 Live FANATICAL Support, Guaranteed 100% Network UPTIME, Your Own Dedicated Support Team and Account Manager, and a 1-Hour Hardware Replacement Guarantee …is this an area of pricing you can consider?
    Him: And keep in mind this price includes and support AND management
    Me: Ok. I was actually looking for something a bit cheaper simply because I'm new to the hosting industry. After reviewing ******, Dreamhost, Yahoo, I thought Rack Space will be on the same level...
    Him: Ahhhhh
    Me: Yep
    Him: Yes, we offer solutions that cannot have downitme, failures or security breaches...
    Me: That is GOOD.
    Him: So, you see, you are not paying more money for the hardware, you are paying more for service, guarantees, stability, reliability, uptime, and FANATICAL SUPPORT
    Me: I see.
    Me: That's wonderful. The support is always essential. Y's support is so-so, but, so far, I see that Rack's support rocks.
    Him: IS there a way you can consider this option?
    Him: keepkign our price in mind, of course?
    Him: And also we provide a monitoring system called Rackwatch that proactively monitors the hardware and should anything be slow on a ping or unresponsive, we have our hands on the server in minutes and have it troubleshot, replaced, or rebooted in less than 60 minutes, guaranteed
    Him: This is also in cluded..
    Me: Certainly. There is a way, and as soon as I promote my forum [which will be pretty soon], I'll come to you.
    Him: Sure..
    Me: I thank you.
    Him: His Name | New Business Development
    Him: Rackspace Managed Hosting
    Him: Direct: (his) fone-line | Fax: (his) fax-line
    Him: Toll free: his-phone ext: his-ext
    Him: Email: his_name @ rackspace.com <mailto: his_name @ rackspace.com> | Web: www.rackspace.com <blocked::http://www.rackspace.com>
    Him: When you ready, contact me=)
    Him: Sure
    Me:
    Me: Bye.
    Him: goodbye

Man, I just want to say, I didn't think it'll be >$350/mo. Honestly. Maybe a $100 tops.

Smile

This is for what? Dedicated hosting?

Managed Hosting.

Smile

That's cheap. You get a person on call 24 hours a day you can talk to for just $350 a month.

Yeah, that price is odd. It sounds like you need a shared hosting account which shouldn't cost you more than $10 to $20 per month. Joomla is a standard CMS with no special requirements that most hosts would offer anyway. A cPanel host with Fantastico would even have a Joomla installer for you to have it up and running in just minutes.

That's cheap. You get a person on call 24 hours a day you can talk to for just $350 a month.
    I perfectly understand. No disrespect, but I just don't have this kind of money for simply hosting a website/tight budget.

Ah, managed. Sorry, I didn't see the posts.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Willdex
    I perfectly understand. No disrespect, but I just don't have this kind of money for simply hosting a website/tight budget.
    Yes, unless you know nothing about computers and need someone to take care of your web site and it has to be up 24 hours with not a single second of downtime you should take this offer.

I wouldn't go with this offer as I really don't need it. If you are just hosting something for personal or for fun, then you should not be needing this at all.

Joomla is a standard CMS with no special requirements that most hosts would offer anyway
    That's why I got a little skeptical and moved to Dreamhost...

Yes, unless you know nothing about computers and need someone to take care of your web site and it has to be up 24 hours with not a single second of downtime you should take this offer. I wouldn't go with this offer as I really don't need it. If you are just hosting something for personal or for fun, then you should not be needing this at all.
    I do know a thing or two about computers, how they function, networks, yada-yada... It doesn't necessarily have to be 24/7 and no downtime, since I'm hosted with Y! and I'm used to downtime. And, yes, you're right, I don't need this at all, I just need someone to look over my website, make sure there's no intrusions, blah-blah, to give the visitors a boost in bandwidth every now and then, all that good stuff.

willdex, remember to update your joomla whenever a new update is release. Just to avoid any script kiddies hack your site via any exploit.

All the best.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Remember to update your joomla whenever a new update is release. Just to avoid any script kiddies hack your site via any exploit.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And, although it isn't the right place for such post and I already have a thread made in other forum, any suggestions about the site are welcome. It'll be a student-focused site/forum. Here's the link: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=559904.

Register's Basic plan doesn't look overselling: everything is for $14.95/mo.

Basic Features:
    Disk Space Limit: 5GB
    Data Transfer Limit: 100GB
    Maximum Number of Pages: Unlimited
    UNIX and Windows Compatible
    24/7 Phone Support
    FTP Support
    Built-in FTP Client
    File Manager
    Site Building Extras
    Advanced Design Templates
    Easy Blog Builder
    Built-in HTML Editor
    Web Design Software
    File Restore
    Web Traffic Reports
    Access to Log Files
    Web Development Supported
    MS FrontPage™ 2002 Extensions
    PHP
    CGI-Bin
    Perl
    Additional Features
    Web Site Promotion Wizard
    Web Site Link Checker
    ...nothing about bandwidth, right?

Overselling/pricing/feature is one thing. Support is another. How responsive is their support when you have a problem? Most of the threads here are complaint about bad support from their hosts. Be careful. Just do more research before decide on your host.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Ok, I'll do that.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but that sales person didn't manage to present himself as particularly adept at hosting matters, but only adept at adding sales talk bits and continually attempting to close a sale, with little regard to educating this potential customer in any way. Frankly, I would have been less than satisfied with the conversation. But again, that's just me, and, maybe if you're paid per sale you manage to close, you probably become very goal oriented.

...with that we provide 24//7/365 Live FANATICAL Support, Guaranteed 100% Network UPTIME....
    and keep in mind this price includes and support AND management.....we offer solutions that cannot have downitme, failures or security breaches....IS there a way you can consider this option?
    Yes, it did look like he's there only for the sale.