Fun spam complaints

We just got a spamcop spam complaint...

Someone sent a spam mail to our support address with a forged "from" address. Our auto-responder sent our standard support response back to the forged address.

That person reported us to Spamcop.

I love the amount of time wasted on dealing with stupid stuff like this.

Anyone else have tons of fun spam complaints like this?

I had a client recently that was yelling at me because we couldn't get one spammer in particular filtered and he didn't want them in his inbox.

He was using Yahoo, not us.
    That count?

A customer that has a T1 through us and host their own site was joe-jobbed by a spammer. To the people that reported them to us as the up-tier I explained what happened. But one person wouldn't let it go, convinced we were harboring a spammer. She wrote: THIS ISN'T OVER SONNY, NOT BY A LONG SHOT. Reading that at 2am was quite amusing.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind
    We just got a spamcop spam complaint...

Someone sent a spam mail to our support address with a forged "from" address. Our auto-responder sent our standard support response back to the forged address.

That person reported us to Spamcop.

I love the amount of time wasted on dealing with stupid stuff like this.

Anyone else have tons of fun spam complaints like this?
    No offense, but personally I don't see what you are complaining about.

Did the person ask to receive the autoresponder or did they do anything that warranted you sending them it? If the answer is no, then it was spam and they have every right to report it. Spamcop has made it clear they treat these as spam for a long time now, it's not something new.

If you want to prevent this from happening, setup your mail server to only bounce mail or send autoresponders when there is an SPF match. When you have had servers flooded with massive amounts of bounces or autoresponders because of Joe-Job attacks, you'll see the other side of this situation and it is not pretty.

Hey Wullie!

I'm not actually complaining

Just sharing a fun topic. I get about 1 abuse complaint every few days... yet each abuse complaint wastes a good 30 mins or so, sometimes more, sometimes less... add that up over the 8 years I've been doing hosting and it's a lot of time spent (actually wasted imo) on dealing with something.

Here's another funny one from a couple weeks back (maybe months now?). A surfer went to a clients website, and purchased an e-book. After his purchase went through, he was redirected to the e-book link where he downloaded the book. He also received a confirmation email thanking him, confirming his purchase and giving him the e-book download link again.

He reported the email as spam. I contacted my client regarding the spam complaint, he checked his logs and matched the IP's. He contacted the client who said something similar to: Your book is great, but you spammed me so now I am going to request a chargeback too. You also owe me $500 for spamming me.

Then the guy proceeded to put a chargeback for the purchase of the e-book. Even though he willingly entered his email address AND checked the "signup to our mailing list" box. heh. Some people....

I don't understand how people are so dumb?

I've never had anything in relation to spam...

Another typical scenario is someone who forwards their email to an external box. Tons of spam gets forwarded to the recipient. Sometimes this is misconstrued as spam from by the host where the email is being forwarded to. IPs get blacklisted over such things. Forwarding email definitely has many drawbacks.

Or someone on some misconfigured mail system (such as their domain for mail having its own IP on older versions of iMail) - the owner of the domain on that box reports their spam to spamcop and get their own IP blocked.

Have had some spam complaints & our server got added into a big spam database. Managed to get it removed though

How are people so stupid that they count auto responders as spam?

I have boxtrapper running on one email address

and my website wich has/is a forum sends plenty of automated emails if people subscribe to topics or forget passwords. ( and these are sent from a real address i check everyday)

I havent had anyone report me yet im sure itll happen one day.

If a website you sign up for passes your information onto a marketer then yes its spam but if its from a website you have an account with (e.g WHT) or is responding to an email you sent (autoresponder) then it cant be classed as spam
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541
    If a website you sign up for passes your information onto a marketer then yes its spam but if its from a website you have an account with (e.g WHT) or is responding to an email you sent (autoresponder) then it cant be classed as spam
    No no no, if you send email then you are automatically a spammer until proven otherwise.... and even then there is some doubt

Trust me, I bet even WHT has a lot of spam complaints from people suscribed to threads and such. I know several of my clients have had this problem. I know one of my clients disabled email alerts for those people subscribed to threads on his forum.

I am in no way sympathetic to spammers, but I do find it frustrating dealing with some of the hardcore anti spam people. I've had quite a few death threats over spam complaints. And like I said, we don't actually receive that many spam complaints....

Pass any death threats you get onto the police that will sort them out.

If people dont use SPF records then its their fault they get autoresponders.

I dont use SPF records because im lazy and sometimes i get autoreponders that I discard.

I report every peice of spam I recive but im not about to report an innocent server.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by sotet
    Another typical scenario is someone who forwards their email to an external box. Tons of spam gets forwarded to the recipient. Sometimes this is misconstrued as spam from by the host where the email is being forwarded to. IPs get blacklisted over such things. Forwarding email definitely has many drawbacks.
    This is, by far, the most irritating spam issue we have to deal with. Comcast is the worst, followed closely by AT&T.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)