Why aren't these posts removed?

My recent complaint about WHT is that I participate less because anywhere I participate here, on any subject, results in personal attacks and flames against me. The position of the moderators is that I can report such posts. However, my position is that if the moderators' response to posts like those at the end of this thread...

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=556455

...is to just close the thread then why would anybody report such posts? Honestly, if you're going to let such statements against my character stand as the last word in a thread, I would much rather have that thread left open so I can call <<< someone >>> the <<< good friend >>> that he is for making such a post, even if I get banned as a result. At least such <<< love >>> wouldn't go unchallenged that way.

When someone does report personal attacks against them, I feel it is appropriate for those attack posts to be removed, is it so much to ask that these posts to be tossed?

I think it's pretty obvious that <<< someone >>> is just a <<< something >>>. I wouldn't pay much attention to it. he trolls threads and tries to appear like he's concerned with everyone else.

And incase you aren't sure, there's just as much right for me to say what I said as his right to stick his nose in business that has nothing to do with him.

I also didn't say a word to you. I don't see multiple attempts to discredit a company that has nothing to do with you.

He thinks he has some sort of twisted sense of power. Calling for people to delete posts? that's just insane.
    The mods certainly look like they're agreeing with this <<< lovely >>> <<< loving >>> when they just let statements like that stand as an example of what kind of behavior is tolerated here. I ask, why should I have to put up with this <<< chocolate >>>? If you want people to participate then you can't just leave posts like that where people can see them, and not respond, and tell me if I don't like such posts I can report them -- to what end?

Seriously, what gives? If people are just allowed to make such vile accusations against me and there's nothing I can do about it, then why the hell would I continue to participate here? Please remove those posts, they are nothing but baseless character assassination, they are inappropriate, they are against the rules, they set a bad example, and I can't for the life of me think of one good reason such statements are allowed to stand unchallenged -- that certainly sends me the message that my participation here is not welcome.

It's also a shame that those who don't want that host to answer my questions successfully sabotaged a thread where lots of people wanted answers, into being locked in such a fashion that it looks like demands for those answers are unreasonable.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-05-2006 at 07:39 PM.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Your best course of action is to contact http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk and submit to the "Contact Administration" department so the community leaders can review your issue.
    Big things coming soon

Or click on the "Report a Post" button to report those particular posts. We try to take care of everything in a thread when we step in to moderate, but we sometimes miss some things, especially when a few things are happening at once.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    Or click on the "Report a Post" button to report those particular posts. We try to take care of everything in a thread when we step in to moderate, but we sometimes miss some things, especially when a few things are happening at once.

Lois
    That too
    Big things coming soon

Sorry if I'm being particularly harsh, but I've been trying to make this point pretty much all year. Too often a thread is just locked, and posts like the ones I'm griping about end up being the last word. I'm posting here because I get no response on this matter except to tell me to report those posts, which doesn't seem to work.

It would help if it weren't left to the target of such posts to be the one who reports them, it's particularly discouraging that twice I have turned around on that same thread after a couple of days only to find that nobody else had bothered to report some pretty blatant flaming going on.

So I'm already pretty upset with this place when it falls to me to always be the one asking for others' posts about me to be removed, when they aren't removed I begin to wonder if that's just because it was me doing the asking and this is the mods' way of telling me I'm being overly sensitive on the issue. I just don't understand why such posts aren't deleted regardless of who is doing the reporting, or where there's any gray area on the posts in question.

What's up with the hundred and some people who read those posts over the course of almost two days, without reporting them or commenting that they were inappropriate? Instead, I'm just asked to tolerate it, but I'm really tired of that being a requirement to post here.

We all take crap at some point. My advice to you would be to stay out of the social issues forum if you can't take the hit. It gets ugly in there and it's intended to have minimal intervention from the moderators.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBison
    Seriously, what gives? If people are just allowed to make such vile accusations against me and there's nothing I can do about it, then why the hell would I continue to participate here?
    As others have said, just report those posts. The mods will deal with them, and remove any profanity if such has been posted, or rules have been broken.

Not having the last word in a closed thread, yeah, that's not a great feeling, but more about our own egos bruised than anything else. It's happened to me a few times too.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    We all take crap at some point. My advice to you would be to stay out of the social issues forum if you can't take the hit. It gets ugly in there and it's intended to have minimal intervention from the moderators.
    So my choice is to either tolerate being flamed in every thread I participate in (hardly limited to the lounge) or not post here? I spent four years not participating in any online discussions whatsoever, and I'm a hair's breadth from being chased from WHT entirely -- I will simply choose to not participate, as it is not that big a deal to me. This place is getting taken over by a bunch of disrespectful savages, and I thought the rules applied everywhere. If y'all want this place to turn into USENET you can do so without my presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Not having the last word in a closed thread, yeah, that's not a great feeling, but more about our own egos bruised than anything else. It's happened to me a few times too.
    I don't care about not having the last word, what I care about is threads getting locked where the last word is a personal attack/flame against anyone. My point is that some people see that and have decided that when they can't win an on-topic debate in a thread they will just attack until it gets locked. People who troll, constantly making the same personal attacks against the same people, are given exactly what they want since having a thread locked where they can't make an on-topic point if their life depended on it is exactly what they're after. So the people who deliberately troll and flame chase off people they don't like, and all anyone can say is "keep reporting their posts" despite the fact that the lack of any negative consequences (except to me, who gets banned for fighting back) does seem to encourage their rule-breaking behavior.

For example, yet another lounge thread is being dragged off-topic by the same one of a small group who thinks that the "BigBison is a liberal" topic must always be elevated to the main topic of any lounge thread I participate in:

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=559766

They even argue that their behavior is perfectly acceptable, despite the twenty times I've reported it and had their previous posts removed. How about actually warning one of these clowns against making every thread I participate in an off-topic flame-fest directed at me personally instead of discussing the topic? This is what I mean by tedious. We have some good discussions in the lounge, and we have some trolls who will never cease attacking me with their flames unless I just go away. Well, they've about driven me away, not because the mods won't remove their posts when I report them but because they never have any consequences for their behavior. Except for one who gets banned more often than me.

This time, instead of just locking or cleaning the thread, could you please explain to those who troll my posts incessantly that they are breaking the rules? Because that message is not getting across and it's going to drive me away from here. I've asked countless times that people stop making every lounge thread I post in an irrelevant off-topic discussion about my character, so aren't the ongoing efforts to do just that in every thread really an obvious case of deliberate flaming? Then people who see that behavior in the lounge, like ePlaces, seem to think it's open season on me forum-wide regardless of topic.

It's quite annoying, really, that I can no longer post here without getting flamed. It's discouraging that it's always the same people posting the same flames.

Part of the problem is the length of time it takes to go through a Social Issues thread. With other reported posts, such as self-promotion posts, the problem is usually in just one post or possibly up to a few after it. We can handle those ones fairly fast. But if we need to read through several pages of posts, where many posts are long, well, that's part of the job and we want to keep the forum clean, but takes a lot longer.

I feel your frustration, and I wish we could go through every Social Issues thread as it's happening. We need those reports coming in, and it helps when specific problems in threads are pointed out to us so that we can get to them faster.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

For example, yet another lounge thread is being dragged off-topic by the same one of a small group who thinks that the "BigBison is a liberal" topic must always be elevated to the main topic of any lounge thread I participate in:

Three people have reported posts in that thread. It isn't easy sorting through the huge posts to see where the problem lies for each of the reported posts and when the topics are things we are unfamiliar with, it makes the task doubly difficult.

The thread yesterday that was closed was closed until I had time to get the mop out. Closing them prevents more cleanups.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Closing them prevents more cleanups.
    Prevents more messes*
    Big things coming soon

That thread was dragged off topic by you. You wanted to drag it off topic by discussing whether you're a liberal or not (your own post basically dared someone to say you're a liberal), then you choose to ignore the on topic part of the thread. The mods recognized that and it has since been cleaned up, for which I thank the mods.

I won't be chiming in this topic anymore, because then it'll be closed for going off topic
    Last edited by Lev; 11-05-2006 at 03:27 AM.

I ought to be able to make a joke like that without that becoming the topic. Making a joke isn't the same as deliberately dragging a thread off-topic by using my joke as an excuse to make a thread about me. I always object when threads become about me. If I am not the topic of the thread, then personal discussions about me are not on topic, and should be avoided.

I agree, Social forums get messy, and you'll eventually take the heat of the argument.

Talking

I always object when threads become about me. If I am not the topic of the thread, then personal discussions about me are not on topic, and should be avoided.
    I have the opposite problem, my replies to posts are normally ignored. In many cases I feel kind of invisible. I guess it could be worse.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    I have the opposite problem, my replies to posts are normally ignored. In many cases I feel kind of invisible. I guess it could be worse.
    Are you new here?

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    Try and rename yourself to catfish3d.