• Yes, i'd be very interested in a quality low horsepower server

5 31.25%
  • Too Expensive

6 37.50%
  • Too restrictive

2 12.50%
  • General No (feel free to explain why)

3 18.75%

Post "would you buy" survey, Who better to ask? Harshly realistic answers expected.

Ok guys, we've been considering expanding our offering as our servers are too expensive for a lot of the users out there, and i notice there are a LOT of middle of the road offerings out there between expensive, and cheap, so i've been thinking about offering a new setup of servers, and want your opinions (i mean lets face it, its you guys that would be potentially buying).

So heres the specs, and here's the info:

P2, 400-450mhz
    64-128mb ram
    6.4 gig hdd
    10/100 NIC
    50gb/mo Transfer (actual usage)
    Redhat, Slackware, or FreeBSD
    Name brand servers (Dell, HP, IBM, granted older, but no less quality)
    APC Access

$80/mo, Free setup, or $65/mo, $65 setup.

Would you be interested in such a offering?

Thanks for everyone that posts/votes.

Not to be smart as I know this can be a gray area, but you might want to delete this post as if violates the following forum rule:

"Participants may not use the forum to publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limit to suggesting your own services, or services of partners or family. "
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com

Re: "would you buy" survey, Who better to ask? Harshly realistic answers expected.

Originally posted by porcupine
    Ok guys, we've been considering expanding our offering as our servers are too expensive for a lot of the users out there
    Too expensive for WHT users, maybe. WHT makes up a very small part of the market, try pushing the servers at other places too. IMO, your prices are very good. Bringing in other providers will make your company all that much better, even if you have to increase your prices.

At the sub-$150 range, I (me personally) would be looking more towards a VDS than a server all to myself. I get more horsepower (bursts of course) out of the VDS.

I don't know if this helps you any, but it's just my couple of pennies.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

That is a very good idea but a bit too expensive. FDC had such a offer for 55$... ok they are 100% Cogent but still a good offer.

Maybe I am missing the point but selling servers at $80 a month. Ummm. Rackshack already does it at $99 and this alone has caused way to many people selling unlimited BW and Space and hurting an already soft market. I understand you are in it to make money also but $80/month??

This is going to make the market even worse so the consumer won't know who to trust when it comes to web hosting. Not that your PII's are bad but those are pretty slow for shared hosting.. If you push is for dedicated it is a good idea for one or two sites.

This is just me thinking out loud.. well maybe typing out loud. But I don't think there is a need.

My 1.6756453 cents.

Robert

Originally posted by GWDGuy
    Maybe I am missing the point but selling servers at $80 a month. Ummm. Rackshack already does it at $99 and this alone has caused way to many people selling unlimited BW and Space and hurting an already soft market. I understand you are in it to make money also but $80/month??

This is going to make the market even worse so the consumer won't know who to trust when it comes to web hosting. Not that your PII's are bad but those are pretty slow for shared hosting.. If you push is for dedicated it is a good idea for one or two sites.

This is just me thinking out loud.. well maybe typing out loud. But I don't think there is a need.

My 1.6756453 cents.

Robert
    We already offer xp1700+'s. I'm looking at the market of people who need *reliable* servers, but want them cheap, and need tech support, something you could safely put your websites on, and take to the bank so to say. I'm sure most people here will agree with me (the ones that run major businesses) that they would not run the majority of their more important operations on rackshack services.

Thats what this is based on, 65/mo is pretty cheap for any server, and rackshacks setup is way out of the ballpark .

Thats my reasoning with this offering

OMG please not RackShack

So what you are saying this would be for 1 -3 websites owned by the same person?? Not a "hosting company" server? If so yes it is a good idea but otherwise I think it will hurt us all.

I just thought of this.. You are going to get a ton of people wanting them for spamming.. For $80 it would be worth paying even if you shut them down really fast..

Again just my thoughts..

a p2-400 will do a LOT more then 1-3 websites. I was thinking as a failover server, a cheap backup server, secondary dns, etc. a p2-400 is 1/2 the power of the rackshack boxes approx. And you think those host 2-6 sites? I think not .

Originally posted by porcupine
    a p2-400 is 1/2 the power of the rackshack boxes approx. And you think those host 2-6 sites? I think not .
    maybe 200-600 sites on their mmmm Rac3's..

"What I still have 43 megs left on the hard drive on my server why can't I get any of my websites to work??" ((sarcasm))

Well let us know if you do that we might be interested in running some of them as 2nd DNS servers.

I will admit the PII's do make great intranet servers.. but never used one for webserving.. I will drop by your site..

Porcupine, I think "$80/mo, Free setup, or $65/mo, $65 setup" is good..
    My opinion :-)

Regards
    Mateo
    Mateo Meier
    Founder Artmotion
    http://www.artmotion.eu