Bittorent Chicago Colocation

Hi folks,

My friend asked me to find a colocation hosting for him, he's planing to run bittorrent client for personal use, his ideal choice would be ones that don't block bittorent and have unlimited data transfer package, actually what he needs is around 8000-9000G/month. Any suggestion around chicago or its suburb area ?

-ty
    romerun
    Last edited by romerun; 11-04-2006 at 02:00 AM.

Sounds like a cogent provider would suit you well. Come to think of it doesn't fdc do colo in Chicago? I am not sure if they block bittorrent though.

There isn't such a thing as unlimited data transfer -- but assuming he uses 8TBs of b/w that's 24.6 mbps which is feasible. definately check out fdc, if he's on a tight a budget. if not, there are many more we can recommend. a bit more info is needed.

Heh, you changed that up a bit since I replied, as in multipled your number by like..10-30 times. Nice. 30-40 mbits would work as long as it stayed steady for the entire month. I know servermatrix can do a 50mbit unmetered server for like 800 range / mo, but I don't know if thats too high or not. Then again you need to push a lot of data.

I've checked fdc, it's really cheap comparing with what they offer, is it over advertised ? 30TB inbound / 700G outbound for just $200. I wonder why inbound is so much greater than outbound, it's like this setup is for file sharing hosts, not webs that serve customers. Are there others within this price range($200-$400) ? Thanks.

100Mbit unmetered service plan

Each server is connected via private (non-shared) 100Mbit port to our 20Gbit backbone which is shared by all servers that have subscribed to unmetered service plan. The bandwidth is NOT dedicated. Servers on 100Mbit unmetered plan can expect average 5000GB-9000GB/monthly throughput on outbound transfer (from the server to the internet) and up to 30TB/monthly throughput on inbound transfer (from the internet to the server)

They have very unrealistic pricing and you probably will not find another fdc per say. Keep in mind fdc cannot give all that they offer - everything is pretty saturated. You will maybe get 20% of what they offer.

Will be tough to find someone in Chicago that is willing to do < $30 per meg on a 20M commit. That being said your best bet is probably Steadfast Networks for a quality setup (their Value Network 1U special offering is a pretty good deal). FDC just isn't in the same league imo.

Your definitely going to have to raise your budget from $200/month for 8TB a month....even at FDC your not going to be able to use that much without them capping you. Maybe look into their 1000Mbit not 100mbit and you won't have any worries.

I mean your asking for 2-3cents per GB....which is definitely unrealistic seeing premium providers charge 50cents+ per GB.

Hmm.. FDC is one of the only providers that I know of in Chicago. It would be better to look for a dedicated box somewhere in europe such as Leaseweb, 1Paket, DediBox. I know that isn't what you wanted but it might help you.
    Does he really need 8TB of transfer?

Ah, I've just asked him, he could live with lower throughput, maybe 2-3TB is enough. FDC is worth to try if they don't block bittorrent and the speed isn't too bad.