So how many people did backups this week :)

So....

How many "hosts" here did backups for the week.

We do Rsnycs and tarballs nightly because we value our clients.

As an informal survey who here has backups that are at minimum a week or less old. If not get off your *** and make them

What triggered this thought of mine? I just got a phone call about 30 minutes ago with someone BEGGING us to help them on a friday night no less. Thier server crashed and the last full backups they have are over 90 days old.
    Hosting and Web design.
    OnLineMedia, Inc.

Nightly backups are the only way to go, imho.

I lost a clients files *once* before. It wasn't a failure to backup, it was a failure to test backups randomly to make sure they were working Never again will I lose a clients files.

For the time involved in setting up rsnapshot, why wouldn't you backup nightly?

We have been doing daily backups for years. It's something important, and suprisingly, not trivial when done right.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Nightly backups ofcourse. Why would you only do it once a week?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyolm
    So....

How many "hosts" here did backups for the week.

We do Rsnycs and tarballs nightly because we value our clients.

As an informal survey who here has backups that are at minimum a week or less old. If not get off your *** and make them

What triggered this thought of mine? I just got a phone call about 30 minutes ago with someone BEGGING us to help them on a friday night no less. Thier server crashed and the last full backups they have are over 90 days old.
    I don't know why but your post cracked me up, a small voice in the back of my head wanted to say "what are backups" but then I remembered thank god i did
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by hosting4life
    Nightly backups ofcourse. Why would you only do it once a week?
    Well there are hosts that do weekly backups. As long as you advertise the periodicty of your backups correctly, I'd consider that to be a good host.

If a host can manage/audit a weekly backup better than a daily backup, a weekly backup is much better option IMO. Depends on your business model as well (how much backup storage and man hours you wish to put in)

We do daily nightly backups, like we have been doing for years. But I wouldn't look down on a host doing weekly, as long as they are being managed well

nightly and weekly is about the best thing I can think of. 2 hard drives (non raid) nightly copy from one to the other, then weekly backups offsite.

comes in handy if a site gets hacked but the user does not find out for a day or so. I have had to access offsite files a few times

Nightly incrementals and weekly fulls.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

Onsite nightly, offsite weekly.

Its too much of a hassle to do offsite backups nightly, because people start to notice a slowdown in transfer if you have rsync running full-blow every night.

This post suspiciously reeks of an advertisement. Whatever.

- Onsite cpanel backups every night
    - Every other day onsite backup using sysbk
    - Additional mySql backup at noon
    - off-server backup weekly

Overkill probably, but I feel pretty safe that I won't lose a customers data (again )

This whole thread seems pointless and screams of "We do it better than most everyone else....look at us!"

Backups are important. *duh*

--Tina

Most people become anal retentive when that have lost data before. I am one of those people.

I have found the best option to be daily off-peak backups, then weekly off-site backups.

Daily backups are great for quick fixes for clients.
    Weekly backups are great for hacked sites.
    Monthly backups, if done, are great for sites that are seen by its administrator less than weekly. This means that if their site is hacked and they didn't notice for 3 weeks, you have them take care of.

I've actually developed a script that visits my clients homepage once a week and it takes a low-res screenshot of their site. It then creates a file of site addresses and screenshots of each so I can quickly view the file and see if any clients need help.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

well i now back up daily as u never no what will happen

Use SCSI drives and then an rsync will have minimal impact on the load. You can run it all the time if you want.

Full weekly with incremental daily works best for us, as clients often need a file from a few days back, etc...

Throw in a monthly offsite tar/gz, and weekly offsite rsyncs, and we have just about every scenario covered for data preservation. Now restoring quickly due to RAID failures, etc... is where the good hosts are separated from the rest.

- John C.

Every 30mins.... and a full system backup to bootable disk...
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    This whole thread seems pointless and screams of "We do it better than most everyone else....look at us!"

--Tina
    Party Pooper....

You don't have a clue how many people DON'T do backups.... *duh*

Thats why I decided to post it up after my phone call I received to help someonee.
    Hosting and Web design.
    OnLineMedia, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley
    Use SCSI drives and then an rsync will have minimal impact on the load. You can run it all the time if you want.

Full weekly with incremental daily works best for us, as clients often need a file from a few days back, etc...

Throw in a monthly offsite tar/gz, and weekly offsite rsyncs, and we have just about every scenario covered for data preservation. Now restoring quickly due to RAID failures, etc... is where the good hosts are separated from the rest.

- John C.
    Very true - I'd be interested to hear comments on how this is done. The last time I had to restore ~60 GB of cpanel sites (250 maybe) in a simulation it took 8 hours on a dual Xeon 2.4 with 2GB memory and, YES, SCSI.

Full backup of each server every every night to a dedicated backup server. Backup files then mirrored to offsite NAS during backup server idle time.

In addition to this we perform 6 hourly backups of our own sites and any clients taking our standard managed backup service.

Backup Policy is to keep deleted files for 30 days with 25 revisions of live files. This means we can restore deleted fiese for 30 days after deletion. Live files can be restored up to the 25th change ago; this can offer anything from minimum 6 days (on 6 hourly backup) to many months of revision available for restoration.
    Last edited by mjb-is; 11-05-2006 at 10:36 AM.
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

Quote Originally Posted by drewnick
    Very true - I'd be interested to hear comments on how this is done. The last time I had to restore ~60 GB of cpanel sites (250 maybe) in a simulation it took 8 hours on a dual Xeon 2.4 with 2GB memory and, YES, SCSI.
    I would also be interested in the restoration process some use. Restoring an entire server of 200+ accounts is very slow using the WHM restore features.

Quote Originally Posted by drewnick
    What we do...
    Drive fails entirely, replace drive, load bare bones OS on it matching previous partitions. Then, using rsync, rsync files from backup drive for /root, /usr, /var, /etc, /home, and you're back in business. With SCSI backup drive to primary SCSI drive, you can get 20-30 GB/hour restored or more. If using incrementals, rsync over full backup first, then the incrementals in the proper order.

- John C.

I'm going to sound cold or evil here, but we only provide backup services for the clients who opted to pay for it.

Hardware isn't free.
    Support time isn't free.

I do of course highly encourage clients to make their own backups and retain an offsite copy.

I've lost three or four hard drives in about 3 years and it always paid off to have a backup... According to the TOS the customers have to create the backups but the truth is that they simply don't and if your server breaks down you will lose clients eventhough you told them to create backups themselves and it is not your fault... That's a reality so better keep backups or you will be the one losing it in the end.

AFAIK WHM uses rsync, too if you have incremental backups and it takes quite some time to restore a failed hard drive. In my case it usually takes 12 to 24 hours to restore a server. Anyway I didn't lose a lot of customers over it.

The first issue with a failed drive is that the RAID Mirror will take over. We'd then replace the failed drive and rebuild the mirror.

We've had a couple of drive failures where this has resulted in no perceived interruption to the clients at all.

We do have one current server that doesn't have dual disks. This is an FTP server only and doesn't actually store any files. The drive failed in this on one occasion and we rebuilt the entire server within a few hours, using Backup For Workgroups.

This only resulted in some minor inconvenience whilst FTP was offline, but all sites remained available.

With backup solutions, the main factor is going to be the speed of any network between the server you are restoring and the backup location.
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina

--Tina
    I would have to agree, thats is exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was reading this thread.

Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

We are on disksync at the planet. We get fully backed up each day at 12.00 gmt and retain a week's worth of backups.