Question Help! How can I turn raw data(or XML, etc) into an image? Suggestions need please :)

Hey folks,

We have raw data that we can convert to XML, or another format and we need a way to process the data so it produces an image diagram. The raw data includes everything needed to create the schematic(pin numbers, wire colors, etc).

Some options we have quickly considered:

• Flex2 - We will need to learn a whole new product plus language- not to mention the cost of the product. Does anyone here have experience with Flex2? Or is this overkill for what we need?
    • PHP GD Library - I'm not sure of the power of the GD Library but I suspect it may not be capable of producing image diagrams with 100-200 wires/pins? Does anyone have image diagram experience with GD?
    • Flash - The same as Flex2 I guess as we have no flash experience.
    • Smartdraw - We own a license for this software but it will take way too much time to produce the diagrams 'by hand' so to speak. Each diagram takes approx. 1 hour to complete with this software and then its kind of a hassle to change something. Add that up in employee costs and it just wont jive.

I've attached a .gif as a basic example of what we need as a final result from the data provided.

I'm open to ideas and maybe we would want to convert to diagrams first locally and them just upload the finished image to our site? We're very flexible as long as it produces results ;)

I realize this isn't posted in employment but if anyone feels this is something they can help with for a fee, send me a quote to: yugnats@gmail.com and maybe we can work something out.

I may be interested in a coding partner as well if thats what it will take to get the job done. Post questions here related to languages, etc and thanks for reading!

PS. - If you even just have suggestions spit 'em out- we're open to all ideas!

Thanks again :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails schematic_example_WHT.gif  

We would also love to have scalable images(vector maybe) but maybe this is asking for too much?

I should mention as well that all of the diagrams will use similar componants so things can be used over and over again- the pin numbers just change mostly but not in all cases where the diagram may have less or more componants/wires.

I wonder if there is a way I could produce this using php/html with images? I mean, mySQL could hold the data and the web page could produce the diagram dynamically with html using images? Although this method wouldn't create a scalable image
    Last edited by yugnats; 11-03-2006 at 04:52 PM.

A few years ago I got a script from phpclasses.net to convert text to an image when I didn't know anything about GD. What you're asking for is way beyond that but take a look, maybe you'll find something that you can modify to do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by clefren
    A few years ago I got a script from phpclasses.net to convert text to an image when I didn't know anything about GD. What you're asking for is way beyond that but take a look, maybe you'll find something that you can modify to do what you want.
    thanks, i'll have a look

anyone else have any ideas?

i think best way for u would be to export your data to SVG images
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...svg/index.html
    www.goscinnawies.pl - family business, small travel agency in Poland

The SVG is the answer. I am not sure about PHP, but in Java it's no brainer.
    Open Solution, Inc
    http://opensolution-us.com

Quote Originally Posted by tiamak
    i think best way for u would be to export your data to SVG images
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...svg/index.html
    jeez, thanks alot. i'll check that out tonight

Quote Originally Posted by pnorilsk
    The SVG is the answer.
    Yes, scalable would be the bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by pnorilsk
    I am not sure about PHP, but in Java it's no brainer.
    Hmm, Java eh? The only problem is Java might as well be from another planet since both our developers are php guys.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions folks- anyone else have any ideas? I'm off to read that IBM article