Data Center Engineers - Chicago

Hello,
    We have a couple building locations selected around Chicago for the building of our new data center facilities and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a data center engineer that would be able to assist us in scoping out the sites and to provide build-out estimates for each site. We would then, of course, go with the one who quotes/bids to the closest to what we are looking for to build out the best site for us.

I am looking for firms/groups that people have first hand knowledge of, as we need to assure a quality job is done. We would prefer a group local to Chicago or with offices in Chicago, but a national/international group is fine as long as they are willing to cover their own costs for the initial site scope/quote, etc.

We have a couple names down already, enough to get competitive quotes, but on something this large I want to assure we're doing all we can to look at all the options.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    Hello,
    We have a couple building locations selected around Chicago for the building of our new data center facilities and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a data center engineer that would be able to assist us in scoping out the sites and to provide build-out estimates for each site. We would then, of course, go with the one who quotes/bids to the closest to what we are looking for to build out the best site for us.

I am looking for firms/groups that people have first hand knowledge of, as we need to assure a quality job is done. We would prefer a group local to Chicago or with offices in Chicago, but a national/international group is fine as long as they are willing to cover their own costs for the initial site scope/quote, etc.

We have a couple names down already, enough to get competitive quotes, but on something this large I want to assure we're doing all we can to look at all the options.

I thought you just moved earlier this year from an equinix cage to a cage on 2nd floor at Lakeside Technology ? Was curious as to how that space is working out, i took a short peak at it earlier this year and it seemed nice just very restrictive on the amount of power per sqft and cooling ability.

Anway i got someone i can recommend , send me a PM.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Quote Originally Posted by ameen
    I thought you just moved earlier this year from an equinix cage to a cage on 2nd floor at Lakeside Technology ? Was curious as to how that space is working out, i took a short peak at it earlier this year and it seemed nice just very restrictive on the amount of power per sqft and cooling ability.

Not sure, but maybe Karl is looking to have a secondary facility?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by ameen

It is a little restrictive on power usage, but no more so than most similar facilities. We are limited to 40A per cabinet, which is the same limit we had at Equinix, the difference there is, here they told us about it in advance and in Equinix they didn't.

Right now, there is still some space left, several thousand sq. ft., but the way things are going, we're going to need a lot more space within the next 6 months to a year, which is why we've been working on plans to open a new facility. Since it will take about 6 months to get the whole thing built out, etc.

As a note to our customers, etc., we would not be moving our existing equipment, but we would be opening another location, with 350 E Cermak still as the core of the network.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 11-03-2006 at 07:08 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

ESD is a well known player in the Chicago Market. Are you looking for raw space to convert to Data Center or modify an existing facility to meet your needs? In both cases you are probably better off asking the buildings for who they use and/or recommend, as well as talk to the buildings electricians.

If you are looking at 600 West Chicago location ESD knows the building.

“600 West Chicago (e-Port)
    e-port, at 600 West Chicago Avenue in Chicago, was designed to be a high-tech hotel, with over one million square feet of space to support tenant's high-tech critical facilities. ESD provided a flexible engineering design for e-Port’s renovation of 600 West Chicago Avenue (the former Montgomery Wards office space) to allow them to house tenants with high-tech needs. ESD provided design services for a comprehensive infrastructure including significant fiber optic connectivity, redundant power grids, back-up generators and increased power capability.

http://www.esdesign.com/techsuccess.htm If you pm me I have a friend at ESD that is very knowledgeable.

tough thing about 600 W CHicago is lack of carrier diversity. L3 is sorta/kinda building up there presence. RCN/Verizon and others still stopped short of the door (i.e. manhole) and Yipes/Cogent are almost on the Kingsbury end.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    Hello,

I used to work for www.esdesign.com. They have done construction engineering on 90%+ of chicago's skyline. Everything from HVAC/Electrical/Fire protection/building security/IT/Plumbing design and retrofit. They basically own the market in Chicago for that sort of work.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    http://www.esdesign.com/techsuccess.htm If you pm me I have a friend at ESD that is very knowledgeable.

That list is a tiny fraction of what they've done, if you walk around downtown it would be hard to find a building they didn't have their hands in

Yes....ESD knows all the contractors (Unions) and they all try to keep the work in the Family.