Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Problems aside, I like the fact that MT actively has information about any outages they are working on. Most hosts leave you in the dark until they are fixed.

I really hope MT gets this going because it seems like a promising way to go.

Hi all, I have compiled an article based my research on (mt) and have posted on my blog here : http://www.agnivo.com/tech/mediatemp...osting-22.html

Let me know if it was worth the time or amateurish...LOL

You can digg it if you like it : http://digg.com/tech_news/MediaTempl...Shared_Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007
    Hi all, I have compiled an article based my research on (mt) and have posted on my blog here : http://www.agnivo.com/tech/mediatemp...osting-22.html

Let me know if it was worth the time or amateurish...LOL

You can digg it if you like it : http://digg.com/tech_news/MediaTempl...Shared_Hosting
    You just rewrote their press releases all in the hopes of a digg! God bless the new media...

# Slow sites? Yes!
    # Slow response from MT tech support? Yes!
    # Poor or inaccurate answers from MT tech support? Yes!
    # Ongoing frustration? Yes!
    # Sleepless nights? Yes!

Here's my story:

I've recently just bought a (dv) server from mt. I requested a support ticket to:

1) Install ImageMagick
    2) Enable SSH Shell access
    3) index.html should take preceding order over index.php in apache config.

Is not a really difficult task. No one reply to me that they are processing my request and I've waited for a long hourS (more than 12 hours) before I get a request that they had enabled my SSH root access and other 2 request i can do it myself.

I mean this is absurd. I'm in a rush to launch my project and I thought by waiting for hourS, you guys will have everything ready for my request but instead, I was told by Milton Nelson to do it myself!

This is very bad for mt to treat their new customer by:

1) Not replying that they are proceeding with my request
    2) After long hours, I was told to do it myself instead

I'd like to know if my dedicated server is a self managed or managed by mt. I would do a refund if its self managed and I will definately post more negative feedback @ WHT.
    I also have a (dv) at Media Temple and they have an update program that contains updates of PHP, MySQL, Plesk and other standard applications on the (dv). But they don't manage it - they also don't advertise that it's managed. A quote from the site:
    Install Anything
    Customize your (dv) server anyway you want with root level access to install all the applications you need.
    So it's normal that you have to do things yourself...

So what negative feedback would you post? Something like: "I've choosen the wrong product for my needs."?

Quote Originally Posted by chet
    You just rewrote their press releases all in the hopes of a digg! God bless the new media...
    LOL...Hell bless you...( I'm an atheist, so leave the G*D alone)

Agniv, you are a pretty cheeky guy... you fill your blog with COPIED material (with a few changes here and there) and then post the big copyright enforcement warning with COPYSCAPE... I guess you are afraid of other people doing what you do yourself... cheeky godless pirate!

Did someone call for me???

Any more updates on how the GridServer is doing?

9. I just purchased their (gs) plan so I'll keep you updated on how things go.

MT Grid Server - Improving?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNet-Tony
    Any more updates on how the GridServer is doing?
    Yes things seem to be improving. Performance of my sites has gotten better. But I am still not ready to move all of our clients over.

I am currently running into a problem with importing MYSQL databases. I have posted a ticket. MT says that my problem is part of an overall MYSQL problem they are working on. I disagree. In short, when importing a MYSQL DB only half the tables import. I am doing this with SSH - following their instructions. Hidden benefit here - MT GS comes with SSH access. I have never had this before. But am now happy I do. Of course I am having to refresh my UNIX (LINUX) skills - not used since 1989!.

LOL -

MySQL still goes down everyday for about 2 hours.

Static HTML pages

I've read both long threads about MT's problems with their gs offerring. Many of the problems seem to be related to dynamic websites, like blogs, which need to read and write to a mysql database.

I was wondering if any people have just plain static HTML. Are there any problems with plain vanilla web pages?

Quote Originally Posted by swoop
    I've read both long threads about MT's problems with their gs offerring. Many of the problems seem to be related to dynamic websites, like blogs, which need to read and write to a mysql database.

I was wondering if any people have just plain static HTML. Are there any problems with plain vanilla web pages?
    yeah, interesting note there... I would like more information on these, as MT is said to be slowly improving... they might be soon "go to" guy in this industry...
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

Looks like MT has a slew of paying alpha testers. Must be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by joomlales
    Yes things seem to be improving. Performance of my sites has gotten better. But I am still not ready to move all of our clients over.

I am currently running into a problem with importing MYSQL databases. I have posted a ticket. MT says that my problem is part of an overall MYSQL problem they are working on. I disagree. In short, when importing a MYSQL DB only half the tables import. I am doing this with SSH - following their instructions. Hidden benefit here - MT GS comes with SSH access. I have never had this before. But am now happy I do. Of course I am having to refresh my UNIX (LINUX) skills - not used since 1989!.

LOL -
    An Update: I was able to get My databases imported with the help of their tech support (another story). Getting the ticket resolved took days (not hours).

The DB was for an instance of Sugar CRM. Initially Sugar worked fairly well. Then BANG! slow slow slow. Sugar depends on MYSQL. Interesting point - Sugar CRM has a little "server response" option you can enable. So I started fiddling with the site to see what type of responses I'd get. They range from as low as .5 seconds to up to 11 seconds. All of this within a span of 5 minutes. So things are all over the map. Would you host a client's website with performance like this?

I think GS is still not ready for prime time. I wil admit that I am happier now than a couple of weeks ago. However there are still some serious issues on their end. It could be their MYSQL servers. It could be bandwidth. It could be their web servers. It could be all or none of these. I don't really care what it is. I just want it all to work as theoretcially this offer should be the be all and end all.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by edu4vision
    yeah, interesting note there... I would like more information on these, as MT is said to be slowly improving... they might be soon "go to" guy in this industry...
    I host both types of sites. And yes the sites that rely on MYSQL are ploblematic. My static sites have worked quite well. But they have also tanked. I think that was a separate problem. MT are admitting (openly) that they are having MYSQL issues. They are also telling me that things are improving and that they are working through these issues. I tend to agree. But the QOS is still spotty. I would not recommend moving over to MT just yet - unless you are in a pickle with your current provider.

Hope my commenst help - Les

Pretty Bad

Well currently, it seems as if I might as well get the gs and cross host. My current host has email problems (11 + seconds to send emails) but solid MySQL. Hopefully these issues will be resolved in 3 months.

MySQL driven vs. static HTML sites

My feeling is that mySQL shouldn't be run on a grid with others. It just doesn't give me confidence to co-mingle data in any way on a large grid. I have no problems with webservers or file based servers running a on a grid or a cluster of computers. But to do mySQL for thousands of users over some type of grid is asking for disaster. You don't need to be a tech guru to predict that.

Can Media Temple run your pages on their webserver grid, but give you a dedicated box or virtualized account for MySQL?

My Experience...

I have been on the GS for about 3 weeks now. The issues I had at first were:

Urchin Stats Issue
    The web stats would pop up with 'Internal Server Error'

MySQL
    I had a cron job running every 5 minutes, and would get an error message 1-3 times per day (not too bad, but enough to bother me) that my script could not connect to the database.

Email Piping
    They said they did not support email piping even before I signed up. However, within two days of me asking, they had setup the GS to support email piping. Thats IS nice!

Mail Function
    The mail() function would not work if I set a reply-to address in the headers.

Cron Jobs
    My cron jobs would not give me any output, or any errors. I found this to be a PICNIC error.

It seems that these issues have all been resolved, and I am hosting 3 websites on their GS platform. Last time I posted a support incident was on November 2, 2006 - 5 days after I ordered the GS product. It seems to be a great solution on my end.

Oh! I absolutely LOVE the fact that I only have to use 1 FTP account to FTP to all of my GS sites, and I love that all I have to do is click the 'Backup' button once to backup EVERY website! I also LOVE the @Mail product they use for email - if you purchased @Mail yourself for you or your clients, it would cost several thousand dollars!
    Last edited by MyFocal; 11-16-2006 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added Comment

Quote Originally Posted by anlene
    # Slow sites? Yes!
    # Slow response from MT tech support? Yes!
    # Poor or inaccurate answers from MT tech support? Yes!
    # Ongoing frustration? Yes!
    # Sleepless nights? Yes!

Here's my story:

I've recently just bought a (dv) server from mt. I requested a support ticket to:

1) Install ImageMagick
    2) Enable SSH Shell access
    3) index.html should take preceding order over index.php in apache config.

Is not a really difficult task. No one reply to me that they are processing my request and I've waited for a long hourS (more than 12 hours) before I get a request that they had enabled my SSH root access and other 2 request i can do it myself.

I mean this is absurd. I'm in a rush to launch my project and I thought by waiting for hourS, you guys will have everything ready for my request but instead, I was told by Milton Nelson to do it myself!

This is very bad for mt to treat their new customer by:

1) Not replying that they are proceeding with my request
    2) After long hours, I was told to do it myself instead

I'd like to know if my dedicated server is a self managed or managed by mt. I would do a refund if its self managed and I will definately post more negative feedback @ WHT.
    I been with MediaTemple for a while now, and I also have a (dv) account [dedicated-virtual] for those of you who don't know what the (dv) stands for.

The dv account is 100% UN-managed, meaning if you want to do something with your dedicated-virtual server you have to do it yourself. MediaTemple only updates the core software and thats if you haven't modified your server to the point where you are no longer on their update program.

Not sure what to say about the Grid Server issues, I know its a brand new service that they are providing, and I also know that they have a list of products which have been tested with it, however they don't guarantee other programs will work in that environment.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: I've been 100% satisfied, fast support and superior service in general.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusg
    I been with MediaTemple for a while now, and I also have a (dv) account [dedicated-virtual] for those of you who don't know what the (dv) stands for.

The dv account is 100% UN-managed, meaning if you want to do something with your dedicated-virtual server you have to do it yourself. MediaTemple only updates the core software and thats if you haven't modified your server to the point where you are no longer on their update program.

Not sure what to say about the Grid Server issues, I know its a brand new service that they are providing, and I also know that they have a list of products which have been tested with it, however they don't guarantee other programs will work in that environment.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: I've been 100% satisfied, fast support and superior service in general.
    Hi Marcus ---- Just a point I'd like to make. You say "they have a list of products which have been tested with it". Indeed! Wordpress is one of those products. It is one of the limited amount of apps they say have been tested and are installable from their cPanel. Well Wordpress runs on PHP and MYSQL. There are numerous posts about folks having problems with their WP sites on MT (all related to MYSQL issues). So much for testing eh?

Les

PS My sites have been running quite well since yesterday.

Well thats just silly, but I wouldn't be surprised either. It actually sounds like their grid servers are just having issue all around, but also from reading other posts, it sounds like alot of places trying to implement a "grid server" type environment are.

After thinking about it a bit, I have thought about a couple other annoyances with Media Temples (dv) hosting. One being, that although you can host multiple sites on a (dv) hosting account, you'll need to purchase a seperate ip ($1 per ip) for each of those sites if you don't want your emai on those sites to bounce back from ISPs which do a reverse ip check, which in the beginning was occuring to all my clients.... Rather annoying.

Also their policy on upgrading you to a higher servce is stupid I think. I purchased a two year hosting plan, and now after about a year I wanted to upgrade to their PHP Performance plan. So I figured they'd just upgrade me, putting what monies I've paid for the current plan towards the new plan and I'd just go from there... Well that isn't how it works. They first will cancel my current plan, then ask me to puchase a new plan mean while the monies I've pain already will just get credited to my account to be used on monthly additional services like ip addresses, back-ups, etc. Just another annoying aspect of how they do business.

Sorry that you're having issues with MT Les, especially considering I believe we pay a slight premium for their services. Hopefully they'll get their servers sorted out quickly, I think its bad enough that they'd release a product which is buggy, but hey, maybe they're taking after Microsoft who've been doing that since their inception, and now look at them.

Good luck!

I've been on MediaTemple's grid for a bit over a month now. My sites are low traffic young domains still being promoted, yet they are loading very slowly (all are php dynamic/mysql.) Stats haven't worked since I moved there, and now I find that they're for the WHOLE server and not broken down by domain (WTF???) though since they haven't worked since I've been there it doesn't much matter, does it? The ticket for the stats program went in shortly after I set up there and it's still an open ticket. I've found response on support tickets to be slow to nonexistent. I have offsite monitoring on two of my domains and have experienced intermittent server outages (probably the same mysql problems everyone else has experienced) and did in fact catch mysql errors on bitchslappin.net yesterday, which is running on WordPress. I have other sites I'm building on other aps (ModX and Joomla VirtueMart) that I had planned on running here, but if it can't handle WordPress, I hate to think of how it's going to handle a heavier CMS!

Bottom line is I'm here to shop for another host. MediaTemple has been a total and complete disappointment.

I'd say for what you are trying to do, Kicka$$webdesigner, a standard cpanel host would be a great fit. MT's grid is still soooo young!

Quote Originally Posted by KickassWebDesign
    I've been on MediaTemple's grid for a bit over a month now. My sites are low traffic young domains still being promoted, yet they are loading very slowly (all are php dynamic/mysql.) Stats haven't worked since I moved there, and now I find that they're for the WHOLE server and not broken down by domain (WTF???) though since they haven't worked since I've been there it doesn't much matter, does it? The ticket for the stats program went in shortly after I set up there and it's still an open ticket. I've found response on support tickets to be slow to nonexistent. I have offsite monitoring on two of my domains and have experienced intermittent server outages (probably the same mysql problems everyone else has experienced) and did in fact catch mysql errors on bitchslappin.net yesterday, which is running on WordPress. I have other sites I'm building on other aps (ModX and Joomla VirtueMart) that I had planned on running here, but if it can't handle WordPress, I hate to think of how it's going to handle a heavier CMS!

Bottom line is I'm here to shop for another host. MediaTemple has been a total and complete disappointment.
    Same boat as us. Almost all of our sites are running on Joomla! Same results as you --- But I have seen some improvements over the past while.

Re your stats comment - I am sure they state upfront that their stats are only at the main domain level - LOL Oh yes, mine do not work either.

I am going to stick with them for now as I believe they will sort things out. Plus I love having SSH access. And their cPanel works well for us.

Les

You can PM me if you want to hear of my experiences with other hosts.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast