Looking for a dedicated server with lots of disk space & data transfer

Hi,

I have a client who is looking to develop a video and audio hosting site. Based on his usage projections, he thinks he'll need around 1TB of disk space and 1000TB of data transfer per month.

To me this sounds like it will be horrendously expensive, but any idea of where I can go to get an idea of price would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

What kind of server does he prefer?

He's after Linux/Apache, I believe.

Did you look at servers4you?

Thanks. Is that at server4you.com? I've just looked and it seems very reasonable, but I've read here on WHT that people haven't been very impressed with their service.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakChris
    Hi,

I have a client who is looking to develop a video and audio hosting site. Based on his usage projections, he thinks he'll need around 1TB of disk space and 1000TB of data transfer per month.

To me this sounds like it will be horrendously expensive, but any idea of where I can go to get an idea of price would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris
    One terabye of disk space and one thousand terabytes on bandwidth? One thousand terabyes would be approximatly 3,000 mbps... there is no way on earth you will be able to use that with one server.

Get a dedicated box with some sort of RAID-5 (3x 500GB drives would give you your terabyte) and get a 95th percentile bandwidth comit to something like 10mbps... if you even use that in the first month I would be surprised. Then once you start getting closer to 10 you can expand, and eventually might hit 100mbps. Then you'll have to start load balancing and such, as I really don't see how a server can push more than 100mbps... being as the servers port is only 100mbps.

Cheap bandwidth is not hard to find, single homed Cogent would serve you just fine. If you want some decent quality bandwidth available in giant quantities, try VoxRox in New York (check their VoxRox MAX servers) or ColoGuys in Texas. There is also Steadfast in Chicago.

Best of luck,
    Alex

Thanks for your advice, Alex. I'll keep all that in mind

Sounds like he has visions of grandeur. Who knows.
    Anyways, it will take a rack of equipment to do 1,000 TB transfer per month. We are in the midst of setting up a client planning on doing 1,500 TB transfer per month of video and they are going to use 3 racks per location, 3 locations, 9 racks total.
    And yes, it will be horrendously expensive.

' I really don't see how a server can push more than 100mbps'
    We have servers with 4xGigE NICs bonded and 16 GB of ram and 6 x 300 GB SATA in RAID 10 in them that can do 2.1 gbps for short periods. Dont recommend it for something like this.

Steadfast with their GigE servers would be a good place to start this type of project.