Question Pair.com - An appropriate choice?

Hello!

As a favor, I'm setting up a website for an artist who will soon be having an important show in New York. The site is entirely html and jpeg images - there will probably be one form to contact or subscribe to a mailing list. In any case, because the site is so simple, all that matters for me when choosing a host (beside prompt and helpful service) is the page's responsiveness and data transfer rate, and the uptime, because if critics or reviewers find the site down that might pose a problem for them and us.

My needs are certainly less than 200 - 300 MB storage - at least for the forseeable future. No idea how many visits it will get, and therefore what quantity of 'bandwidth' I will need. I hate pop3 so email must be imap-compatable.

Here's the question:

Given the simplicity of the site, could I reasonably expect that any more expensive shared web host would offer better uptimes than Pair.com? I could spend the next few days comparing hosting plans, but they seem very good and I've already spent like 10 hours on research.

Pair seems reliable and professional. Please let me know if there are other hosts I ought to consider, or if you think I'm making the right choice. I see people in the forum recommending things like DownTown or Heavenly Web, but I can't tell if we'd get any real benefit or if there's that much of a difference. Would small companies of that sort be a step up in uptime and service?

Thank you for any advice! I know that newbie-ish questions get wearying, but your forum really has made all of the difference in having me not choose a borderline scam.

What are your requirements for hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by trish75
    What are your requirements for hosting?
    I do believe he told us.. :/

To the OP: The best thing you can do is look around for about 5 different hosts, look around here on WHT for reviews of the 5 hosts you like the look of, and even add the 5 hosts to this post.

What I mean is, don't just set yourself to one host.

Good luck

I've seen good reviews about them on webmaster-talk.com, probably, some people here are using them as well. You may read http://www.webmaster-talk.com/web-ho...-pair-com.html.

Beyond what I listed above? All I know is that I want a shared server with somewhere around 300 MB of disk space - I wouldn't mind more - and a reasonable amount of bandwidth (say anything above 5-10 GB, just in case many people actually end up looking at it). There needs to be good support, and excellent uptime. I'd prefer linux.

We can pay between $10 and $25 or so a month - slightly more if it *really* meant a difference in reliability. The Pair plan is $9.95 / month, but I drink two double espressos a day, so it's hard to justify not paying more if it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyre
    The Pair plan is $9.95 / month, but I drink two double espressos a day, so it's hard to justify not paying more if it would help.
    LOL, I like you, to often we get people on here asking who is the cheapest blah blah, then 2 month later they are back bashing the company due to poor uptime etc.

For what you are willing to pay you shouldn't have any problems at all finding a good host.

Have you looked at maybe HostGator, or even HostFrog ?

You may do your search about hosting here: www.forum2.co.uk
    There are a lot of hosting reviews there.

NT, thank you! I had considered HostGator, but there was a long thread about them recently ("Hostgator warning for new users") which made me a little wary, but I certainly appreciate that both Hostgator's and Pair's owners respond directly here to criticisms. Otherwise, they looked like a good service. I'll certainly look into hostfrog.

Trish, thanks, I'll look at your forum.

(As for the price bit, It's absurd to expect good service for the price of two cups of bad coffee! Starbucks certainly demonstrates that, and their product is a good deal less complex. We will all rest easier knowing that the site is in good hands.)

Kyre,

Although pair has its problems/limits when it comes to database-driven sites, for what you want, I think it would be a great choice.

But, watch out the bandwidth limit for the plan you are choosing. I am guessing that you will have a multimedia intensive page, and you will start hitting the limit approximately at about 20-30 thousand pageviews per day.

As for the quality of Pair, once again, it is VERY VERY reliable especially when it comes to static pages. But, you can also check out futurequest. I liked futurequest better (due to stability of database and no db connection limits that pair imposes), but it is more expensive. I have used both, and both of these companies are rock solid + top notch, and their services are miles ahead of others...

I have to agree with dcabbar. Futurequest was much better due to the stability of the database and the no db connection limits.

Dcabbar, thanks. That makes me feel a bit more comfortable. There's very little possibility of us reaching the 15,000 pageview/day mark, and if this did happen the bandwidth would certainly pay for itself in future sales or gallery visits. The art is abstract painting, and the artist is not nearly famous, so there's a small potential audience. The only unknown factor is that the website will be mentioned in an Art in America ad published within the next few weeks, so that might generate some traffic.

I used Futurequest about six years ago - they were my last hosting choice - and was very happy with them! However, they seem less often recommended nowadays, and I don't really need database features.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyre
    I used Futurequest about six years ago - they were my last hosting choice - and was very happy with them! However, they seem less often recommended nowadays, and I don't really need database features.
    Futurequest is more expensive, probably too expensive for many, and it has a select type of customers. You never hear too much of them here, like you here about how much company x dropped the ball, how terrible company Y is and how much everyone hates it, etc. etc.

But, don't let that fool you. FQ is still (at least was 3-4 months ago when I left them) very stable and it is a pleasant experience.

Pair is an excellent choice, as would be FutureQuest and Hosting Matters (the latter is my current host). All three stay above the evergrowing tide of the lowball hosting market, have great support, and are reliable in service and business. I used pair abut two years ago for a company that is sadly no longer around, and I managed a site for someone on FQ until last year. No complaints with any of these companies, and they'll serve you well.

Espressos. Mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by thetimehascome
    Pair is an excellent choice, as would be FutureQuest and Hosting Matters (the latter is my current host). All three stay above the evergrowing tide of the lowball hosting market, have great support, and are reliable in service and business. I used pair abut two years ago for a company that is sadly no longer around, and I managed a site for someone on FQ until last year. No complaints with any of these companies, and they'll serve you well.

Espressos. Mmmm.
    I agree. FutureQuest, Pair, and HostingMatters are truly at the higher end of the hosting market, e.g. non-wht.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    I agree. FutureQuest, Pair, and HostingMatters are truly at the higher end of the hosting market, e.g. non-wht.
    That just made my decision on a new host

Let us know how it goes! Good luck.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>