Thread: Good Host?

Question Good Host?

Hey guys.

I'm looking for a host to serve my own website, and also my father's (different domains). They are both merely personal websites, and require little in terms of bandwidth/database support. I have been hosting my site for about a year and a half with MySiteSpace; and whilst their servers themselves have been pleasing in terms of response and uptime, I've found their customer service lacking (a topic for another post).

Anyway, its time to move. Basically these are my requirements:

At least 150MBs disk space
    At least 2GB bandwidth
    Able to host 2 domains
    Quick download/upload speeds
    Under $8/month

I've looked back around 20 pages in this forum but I haven't found anything exactly suiting my needs. And although people seem to often recommend the 'Offers' subsection of WHT, I know that many of those proposals are come from very small time operations of extremely low quality and they are hard to pick before committing.

Also, it is imperative that the host I end up with has decent up/down speeds and (of course) is overall pretty reliable.

Would it be possible to ascertain a package that suites these needs for under $8/month?

Thanks in advance,
    Luke

I think the forum rules say you aren't allowed to make "Hosting Requests" in any forum. :-(
    Mark A. Mutti, Los Angeles
    mark.mutti@phirefast.com / (818) 358-1161
    PhireFast: Drama-free Hosting, Awesome Support (Since 2004)

Request in www.hosthideout.com, you should get some offers, just beware of oversold offers.

Mini

Hi Luke,
    If you are able to compile a short list of potential hosts then send them some pre sales questions before signing up. Run the company names through google.com and also here at wht. The trouble now is the market is so overly saturated its beyond overwhelming when having to pick and choose.

As far as the offers forum here at wht, just use with "caution"
    There are alot of fly-by-night co. around.
    Good Luck
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Hi Luke,

First of all you need to make a complete list of requirements. When I say complete list, it does not mean just diskspace and bandwidth, but also the server side scripts you are going to use or will be using in the future, the databases you will requiring, etc.

Once you decide this, you will be able to figure out the platform you need ('i.e. windows or linux).

Once you know your requirements, you can shortlist web hosts and then send your queries to them. This will save you the trouble of switching hosts in the futrure.

Look here http://hostsearch.com/
    Maybe it'll help you to choose the right hosting.

Try going over into the requests forum

Would it be possible to ascertain a package that suites these needs for under $8/month?
    You should be able to find something for that budget and requirements.

If you want more suggestions you could also try these forums: hostingdiscussions.com or sitepoint.com

Best of luck!

You will find a host to meet your needs. Add these five things to criteria for choosing a host and you will have a better chance of having to move to anther host.

1. display a contact phone number on their site.
    2. 24/7-support desk system available 365 days per year.
    3. provide an Acceptable Use Policy and or Term of Service available for review posted on their web site.
    4. provide an Uptime Guarantee.
    5. provide a Money Back Guarantee.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated
    24/7 Support Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM

Hello Luke,
    As many of other WHTers have posted, it is easy to find a host that would fit your needs for that price and those requirements. Do a search here on WHT or on Shared Hosting offers and i believe you will find what you need.
    I doubt you would need to look after on other forums to find your host, here on WHT you have them all, just the same as in the other forums.

Best luck with your search

Adding to the good info already provided, if you were to use a Hoster that provides a Control Panel called Cpanel, for example, there is a feature called "Addon Domains". This allows you to host more than one Domain name within your account.

With one account, you can host totally different Domain names and totally different Web sites. Each is seperate from the other but you only get one Control Panel. This means only one person would/should be in control of the account. Everyone else gets FTP access so they can upload/download files related to their Web site.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I'd check out http://inlinehosting.com , they have very good prices and uptime. Support is very professional and helpful.

Luke-b - I agree with your comments about the Offers section & also wouldn't use 'Review' sites.

You can shorten your list of possible hosts fairly simply though.

Your needs are small, so you don't want to be with a 'One size fits all' host.
    You want reasonable support, so I wouldn't advise a big host. Does telephone support matter or are you happy with email or chat? Some people really like telephone support (I prefer email or chat myself).

Do you want a small host (possibly very good support, but from one person & if something happens to them ???) or a medium host with a number of people in the support team (but small enough so you can identify them all) and a forum?

I can recommend ASmallOrange ($5 as month) http://www.asmallorange.com/services/hosting/, but there will be a fair number of hosts who would meet your needs.

I would suggest looking at company forums if any, and doing a search here. I would not be discouraged by some negative comments but would look at the whole picture - if there are genuine negative comments are there genuine positive comments too?

Quote Originally Posted by NuKKaStArZ
    I'd check out http://inlinehosting.com , they have very good prices and uptime. Support is very professional and helpful.
    As well as overnight hosters, there's a lot of self promotion going on as well.
    I'd suggest asking WHT about the host, to get possible reviews and ideas on what the WHTers think of the host.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

it is really a difficulte problem to find a good hosting
    I am looking too and I will sign up with yahoo

Did you tried a search on this forum?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Did you tried a search on this forum?
    I did , and some one told yes and some one told know and I think there is a nother companies try to markiting for their hosting and attaking yahoo hosting

As far as I read here and in other forum the vast majority said "don't go" but that's up to you.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Well, it's not self promotion, because I have 2 partners and we are developing a hosting company as we speak. I use to be with Inline Hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by iDir_Mike
    You will find a host to meet your needs. Add these five things to criteria for choosing a host and you will have a better chance of having to move to anther host.

1. display a contact phone number on their site.
    2. 24/7-support desk system available 365 days per year.
    3. provide an Acceptable Use Policy and or Term of Service available for review posted on their web site.
    4. provide an Uptime Guarantee.
    5. provide a Money Back Guarantee.

^^ lol thats just useless now a days, look at dreamhost,Dot5Hosting,servage and so on..... they all got a phone number, 24/7 support/ a TOS /uptime/moneyback but still we see lots of users coming back from them here asking for hosting request.
    WEll maybe not servage checked their site they aint got phone number .

So forget those criteria's these days (oh you forgot to mention live messenger thing like msn ,aim etc etct) . Best thing is looking for reviews, say for example company name reviews on google gives some results that contact that company and explain to them your situation and need, and see how it goes from there.

And Luke your request is quite reasonable and if you poke around a bit even at wht you will find decent reviews about some companies and even end up going with one.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Thumbs up hmmm.

Ukhost4u.com and hostultra.com are decent hosts. Might be worth checking out. I think they would be able to provide that spec for that price although UKhost4u is more pricey but its worth it looking at the services in the long term.

opensourcehosting, have you actually used these companies?

Please stay away from yahoo if you ever want decent hosting.

If you want to find a decent host check out some decent hosting review sites:

www.hostjury.com
    www.whreviews.com
    www.webhostingunleashed.com