Hybrid View

missing IP addresses in Apache raw log file

Time and again I am not able to find IP addresses of a certain percenatge of my web site visitors in my Apache raw log files.

For example, a vistor sends me a web form email, and I am not able to find his/her IP address in my log file. Same about some customers, who placed orders from my web site - their IPs simply do not exist i my log file.

Does this mean, there is a problem with the Apache server where my web site is hosted? What are other possible reasons for this?

Have you tried hosting the forums (or pages affected) on other server and checking if it properly logs the ips?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by whtvwt
    Does this mean, there is a problem with the Apache server where my web site is hosted? What are other possible reasons for this?
    The IPs are missing in the entire log file or just some?

If they are all missing, then your host would be using a different apache log format. If IPs are partially missing in the log, most likely some problems with the server.

No, not all of them are missing. Just SOME of them. I'd say some 30-40% of them or so.

Also, when I browse my web site myself (from my IP address), and I keep exact record of all pages I visited, I am not able to find a lot of those page hits in the log file afterwards.