AMD 64 3800 or P4 2.8GHz?

Hi all...

I'm planning to buy a dedicated server from server4sale (LT). I'm stuck between their two offers, AMD 64 3800 - 2GB - 80GB - 1500GB - Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico/Rvskin for $109 Vs Intel P4 2.8 GHz - 2GB - 80GB - 1500GB for $85.

With P4, I have to pay $28 for Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico/RVskin, which comes to $113 -- more or less same.

Will you guyz pls help me in deciding which one to take?

Thanks in advance...

EssEss
    IndNet.Net - Since 1998

go for 3800. it will beat down 2.8.

Do you plan on running a 64bit OS on the AMD? If you never have to deal with the server's issues on your own, I'd go with the AMD. It would really depend on how servers4sale set up the hardware. The AMD runs pretty warm and if cooling isn't adequate, you could be looking at a decent number of crashes and other problems. If you don't need absolute raw performance or 64bit, you may want to consider the P4 as it may run cooler and thus be more reliable in the long run.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

I'm sure, You need to take AMD 64 3800.

I have an amd3000 and it outscored a p4 3.2ghz on benchmark tests. As far as being noticably better it is but I do notice that if you do something real heavy with the single core amds like that it will kill it,
    But in your case the amd3800 would flat out smoke the p4 2.8ghz

Thank you guyz for your suggestions.

I have ordered amd3800 with LayeredTech through Server4Sale. I think LT takes care of air-conditioning properly. I am into simple web hosting, where no site is super popular.

Just waiting to get my server...only 12 hours past from ordering....need to wait for another 60 hours as per their conditions.

Will post about the performances.
    IndNet.Net - Since 1998

You will be happy with server4sale they have great support / management.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Quote Originally Posted by optikalus
    The AMD runs pretty warm and if cooling isn't adequate, you could be looking at a decent number of crashes and other problems. If you don't need absolute raw performance or 64bit, you may want to consider the P4 as it may run cooler and thus be more reliable in the long run.
    Not sure where you got it but sounds like the opposite of reality - the Netburst architecture (used by P4s) is the hottest and most energy wasting CPU architecture available today.

No question that the AMD is a much better choice in this case.

LT is a good choice.

AMD is faster, and cheaper... No brainer, go for the Athlon64.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers