Question Students website

Has anyone designed a website geared towards local university students?
    Being a university student my self I was considering setting up a web site where students can post classifieds to sell books, used stuff, and cars. The site would also have an area so students can comment on different proffessors, staff, classes, or even university programs. The site would also let students voice their opinions, suggestions or complaints about the particular a university.
    Would there be any leagal issues with this website.

I've been asking my fellow students, and they are willing to help with the articles and other aspects of promoting the website.

Any comments and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

www.uniservity.net

Hi,

If you are in the UK try http://www.uniservity.net

Cheers - Mark

We once setup a site for our college - it was blocked via the college firewall due to people misusing the forums to talk about other people in the college and we ended up pulling it down.

You would have to watch what content was posted if you where to include a forum.
    Barry
    UK Based Freelance PHP Developer
    PHP/SQL/Ajax/HTML5 - Contact for Quote

College Club is quite a large college students site.

Re: Students website

Originally posted by ChoGuMa
    Has anyone designed a website geared towards local university students?
    Being a university student my self I was considering setting up a web site where students can post classifieds to sell books, used stuff, and cars. The site would also have an area so students can comment on different proffessors, staff, classes, or even university programs. The site would also let students voice their opinions, suggestions or complaints about the particular a university.
    Would there be any leagal issues with this website.

I've been asking my fellow students, and they are willing to help with the articles and other aspects of promoting the website.

Any comments and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
    Iím a student myself and was originally going to set my site up for engineering and architecture students, but backed out. I decided there would be a greater demand for a general chat site.

If there were a demand I would still consider setting aside a section on my forum.

The format youíre talking about sounds like a good idea.

Cheers

PS I have a bunch of over priced books I would like to sell lol
    For a great new forum please click on my weblink.
    ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS
    VISIT ME AT
    http://www.jmdsforum.com

NICE

Those are nice sites.

Thanks for the sample sites and the comments.

I was thinking on personalizing the site for local students. We have two Universities, one community college, and a bunch of Technical schools. I've heard a lot of complaints from professors and students about school administrators not listening to them, and on the community college they will not fund a school newspaper. So I was thinking about combining all the schools so that everyone could voice their own opinions.

Some of the professors are willing to help with the moderation of the website and promotion as well.

What else would you guys recommend me to add to this website?

How about the legal issues?

Sounds like you have all the support you need - I wish you well keep us up to date on how things go.
    Barry
    UK Based Freelance PHP Developer
    PHP/SQL/Ajax/HTML5 - Contact for Quote

8. Hey that is one brilliant idea.

And make sure when you start up your site, get the geekiest guys/gals to be the moderators. This will prevent the site from being blocked by the school LAN.

The classifieds section will be great! Almost all universiy students have always wished for a venue where they can buy / sell second / third hand books. But this section will not be good news to the school bookshop.;-)

Do update me on the progress!