Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you use GNU/Linux, you need to reboot only for kernel updates (maybe 3-5 times a year). Every other part of the system can be restarted on its own, without needing the whole OS to go down.

Only reboot on kernel upgrades, in 95% of problems, a reboot may fix it but its not required. I cant stand how people reboot and reboot to fix issues on linux/bsd servers.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Only reboot on kernel upgrades, in 95% of problems, a reboot may fix it but its not required. I cant stand how people reboot and reboot to fix issues on linux/bsd servers.
    Sounds like their Windows 95 roots, because even Windows Server 2003 can restart most subsystems without a reboot.

rebootin is like chicken soup. it can't hurt.
    You'd be surprised, ever have a battery on a ServeRAID card run low + lose NVRAM config on reboot?? How about fsck-surprises that require manual intervention? (this is for those that aren't lucky enough to afford DRAC & RSA cards)

Funny coincidence... for some reason, KDE started freezing on my home desktop system so I had to reboot it a couple times. Bah

Quote Originally Posted by Loktari
    Funny coincidence... for some reason, KDE started freezing on my home desktop system so I had to reboot it a couple times. Bah
    That's no reason for a reboot, you could've simply restarted kde from a console without rebooting your computer.

Good point Unfortunately I had no way to login because I don't have SSHD running on this machine. Guess I'm not 1337 enough... oh well.

I meant the local console (maybe you know it as "text mode").

Quote Originally Posted by RambOrc
    I meant the local console (maybe you know it as "text mode").
    That was the first thing I tried, but they keyboard didn't respond in any way.

Oh well..... it's fixed now. Looks like some cache file got corrupted causing freezups.

Reboot it after a kernel upgrade, that is about it... There should be no other need to reboot it, especially if it has been running fine for 1 year without a reboot. Though, you're then saying you went a full year without a single kernel upgrade?
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12