Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often should I reboot my dedicated server?

my server is up and running for more than 1 year now.

I'd say once a month is good.. a year and no slow downs? Go you !

The answer to your question will depend on what are you doing on server.

I have had machine up for over a year, which is kinda stupid.

I believe a healthy regiment is a weekly reboot, JIC. I don't write every piece of code on that machine, I do know know of every memory leak......
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Why reboot if you don't have to?

Why risk uncessary downtime?

If the server is running fine, let it run fine. If it's slowing down and warrants a reboot, then reboot it.

I'd rather use uptime as a tool. I.E if it doesn't stay up and healthy as long and requires more rebooting, then there's more to it and I can look into it before the problem get's worse.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Why would you need to reboot? I have a few servers up 8+ months and some longer. You only need to reboot in case of a server issue or update.
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic
    Why reboot if you don't have to?

Why risk uncessary downtime?
    A reboot is not what I would consider down time. Rebooting weekly is like taking an asprin a day so you don't have a massive heart attack at 50.

rebootin is like chicken soup. it can't hurt.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

It depends on the OS you're using -- in my experience, servers running Linux or (Free)BSD only need to be rebooted for a) hardware upgrades or b) mandatory kernel upgrades.

Yeah, mine usually stay up till around the 90 day mark before I do something stupid and have to reboot.

If it aint broke, don't fix it and if it is, buy a new one heh.
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

Quote Originally Posted by netscan
    If it aint broke, don't fix it and if it is, buy a new one heh.
    That's the cool thing about renting servers... just cancel the ones giving hardware problems and get newer ones

If it's a linux server you generally only reboot after a kernel upgrade.

Windows whenever you need to. You can often avoid rebooting by downloading the standalone windows update patches.

on either OS you may need to reboot more if you have a serious memory leak that is not easily fixed
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Yeah it makes a big difference which O/S is installed. But either way there are often times that rebooting just clears everything out. Although i rarely see it needed in Linux.

Windows servers do require more reboots because of the updates that include kernel updates, but even then the system can be managed and not need rebooting all the time. I've left a windows server alone quite a long time and was fine. I didn't install the updates though (don't remember why).
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

For linux you should reboot only when upgrade kernel. Just restart the program that was some memory leaks... if have.
    Don't blame unmanaged services for your errors. Redundancy is the key for 100% of uptime, nothing else matter

Quote Originally Posted by nsqlg
    For linux you should reboot only when upgrade kernel. Just restart the program that was some memory leaks... if have.
    I would also recommend rebooting after making other significant confuration changes - that way you test to make sure everything comes back up OK in the new config rather than parts reverting to the old. Much better to catch the problem while the changes are fresh in your mind an dnot at something in the morning a few months later when you get a pile of support tickets because something odd (power supply problems or some such) caused the server to reboot and didn't restart cleanly.

Reboot only after kernel upgrades, or when desperately needed!
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.

I have had a box before that i did not have to reboot for 2.5 years and it worked prefect with no slows downs OS was freeBSD
    RackSurge - Superior Hosting Solutions
    Shared, Reseller cPanel Web Hosting w/ Fantastico, Dedicated, VPS Solutions, Ruby on Rails, PHP4 and 5, Tomcat.
    Premium Network - Level(3), Savvis, AT&T, PCCW Global, nLayer, and TeliaSonera

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    A reboot is not what I would consider down time. Rebooting weekly is like taking an asprin a day so you don't have a massive heart attack at 50.
    Taking an Aspirin a day may not give you a heart attack, but it will eventually eat away at your liver.

If it aint broke dont reboot.
    Ripple Web
    RippleWeb.com
    Dedicated Servers - Private Cloud Services - Colocation

At least twice a day and 4 times on Sundays.

Yeah...but it's also overkill to a monumental extreme.

As everyone else said, reboot when necessary for security/kern issues. Why reboot when there's absolutely no reason to?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Taking an Aspirin a day may not give you a heart attack, but it will eventually eat away at your liver.
    On what do you base that?

Oh wait wrong forum

We only reboot when needed

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alan_torbay
    On what do you base that?

Oh wait wrong forum

We only reboot when needed

Alan
    It was actually an analogy.

Too many "Aspirin" (reboots) on a server will eventually eat away at its "liver" (hardware).

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Too many "Aspirin" (reboots) on a server will eventually eat away at its "liver" (hardware).
    I've heard of stories of servers that ran fine for years and then get a fatal harddisk crash after a reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Loktari
    I've heard of stories of servers that ran fine for years and then get a fatal harddisk crash after a reboot
    That is usually when the bearings are going so there is too much fritcion. The motors have enough umpf to keep the disc spinning while it is powered on but not to start it spinning once it has been settled for a while.

I once saved most of the data on a drive in that condition with the "give it a quick gentle spin in your hand while powered on and connected" technique (if you are lucky the extra force will get the disc spining without mashing the heads into the platters and the motor will keep it going so you have one shot at getting the data off, if you are unlucky then you've made things no worse as the drive was dead anyway, either way backups are a man's best friend)

I prefer not to RESTART after every now and than. Except hardware upgrades or kernel issues. Kinda stability thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast