Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site5 is "reloaded" for resellers

A lot of folks have been waiting for this, I'm sure...

Looks like they're in the middle of posting the new "reloaded" reseller plans to site5.com

Hot special: Save $100 instantly on your first year when you prepay it. Comes to $140 for your first year:

10 gigs of storage
    2 terabytes (!) of transfer
    Unlimited just about everything else
    Private name servers
    ClientExec billing software
    60 day money-back guarantee (like you'd actually need it!)

Head on over to http://www.site5.com/resellers/ and check out the new plans.

why even offer the 8gb plan? thats nuts! the 10 is cheaper

What is it with you and site5? All you seem to do is spam these forums about site5. Anyone can see how you are advertising for them by just looking at the history of your posts.
    And 2TB of bandwidth? LOL, it's obvious they still haven't got their act together.

Reported to mods..

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdevil
    What is it with you and site5? All you seem to do is spam these forums about site5. Anyone can see how you are advertising for them by just looking at the history of your posts.
    And 2TB of bandwidth? LOL, it's obvious they still haven't got their act together.

Reported to mods..
    Spamming for Site5.. ya, that's funny, dude.

Let's actually evaluate this, shall we:

One thread started about Site5..
    1. just now, about their new reseller plans and new special. People have asked about them over the summer when they haven't been taking on new reseller accounts, so this IS highly relevant and fresh information that people have been waiting to hear.

Four replies in threads that contain "site5" keyword:
    1. a comparison between their database resource usage policy and another host's which was similarly worded.
    2. a clarification of their policy on reselling under Multisite that included a comment that reseller plans would be back. "Site5" was already in the thread before my response.
    3. a note to someone who says they moved away from Site5 because they stopped selling reseller accounts. He didn't have to move, he could've kept his reseller account there, and even upgraded as needed. "Site5" was also already in the thread before my response.
    4. a new (today) recommendation to avoid Rackfleet and gave TWO suggestions; Not just Site5, but also Relio, another superb host with an excellent reputation. The note about Site5's reseller plans coming back was to avoid the inevitable "Site5 doesn't do resellers" response.

Fact 1: Site5 is a highly regarded host, here and elsewhere.
    Fact 2: Yes, they've had some issues with servers earlier this year, which is one reason why they suspended taking on reseller accounts.
    Fact 3: They've addressed the above issues with beefed-up servers and lightening the loads on them.
    Fact 4: They run some pretty crazy specials to get the word out. They come-and-go in a blink of an eye, so people would want to hear about them when they turn up.
    Fact 5: They are not a "cut-rate" reseller host, so I highly doubt that their "crazy deals", and the business generated by them, affect the performance of their server fleet. If they did, #1 wouldn't be true.
    Fact 6: I am not employed by, affiliated with, or receive any compensation from, Site5.

Yup! sure sounds like spamming to me.. Better ship me off to G-Bay, then, I guess.

I could go on, but oh, no, I wouldn't want to be accused of starting a flame war. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    why even offer the 8gb plan? thats nuts! the 10 is cheaper
    it's called a special!

the regular plans are listed so you can see how the special compares to their "regular" prices.

Exclamation

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would even suggest using Site5 for reselling after their horrible record over the last few months.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by krazykermit
    The overwhelming majority of posts at WHT over the past several months have been negative. They USED TO BE highly regarded here, but not lately. Not by a long shot.

A common counter-argument is that the negativity is usually perpetuated by the same few people. There certainly are some of those (some would argue that I'm one of them). But there seems to be a constant influx of newly-disenchanted users as well. The problem is growing.

Fact 3: They've addressed the above issues with beefed-up servers and lightening the loads on them.
    And yet they now offer 55sites/55GB/5TB for $5/month. This new plan simply CANNOT be reconciled with their "uncrowded servers" claim. I dare Site5 to show me how they can make a server profitable with those plans without ridiculously overselling it.

What's worse? Site5 seems to allow you to sell space on this $5 plan (though without true reseller features)...so it is inevitable that many of these $5 plans will be pushed WAY beyond their typical "one man" usage, compounding the problem.

Fact 4: They run some pretty crazy specials to get the word out. They come-and-go in a blink of an eye, so people would want to hear about them when they turn up.
    Speak for yourself. If everyone did the forum the "favor" of mentioning every web host's specials, this place would be suffocated. Specials and new plans can be advertised by the hosts themselves in the Web Hosting Offers forum. No more is necessary.

Fact 5: They are not a "cut-rate" reseller host, so I highly doubt that their "crazy deals", and the business generated by them, affect the performance of their server fleet. If they did, #1 wouldn't be true.
    Since #1 ISN'T true, it cannot be used to support this claim.

Fact 6: I am not employed by, affiliated with, or receive any compensation from, Site5.
    That might be true but you can't state it as FACT without PROVING IT. For all I know, you might be Matt Lightner.

BTW, in case you ARE Matt Lightner...many months ago I was offered a free mug on the Site5 forum for being a helpful member. Although I sent you my address, I never got the mug. Coincidentally, that's about when I noticed things starting to turn for the worse at Site5. You can keep the mug.

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would even suggest using Site5 for reselling after their horrible record over the last few months.

Perfectly stated

And NEVER NEVER PREPAY FOR A YEAR.

Here I thought they took their reseller plans down to come back with a more stable system in the future. Not sure how offering more storage space and bandwidth then before can help the situation they are in.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Okay, there sure are some Site5 haters. I was an unhappy camper myself, and left before they shut the door for resellers a while back. But to be fair, they (Site5) had been almost perfect (again, past tense), so the "reloading" of their reseller hosting is a piece of news that deserves some heads up.

I signed up this morning (some 4 hours ago). Yes, US$140 upfront; I'll be the guinea pig, and let's see how things play out this round. (Haven't received any useful info e.g. WHM/CPanel login yet, except their "Backstage" thingy on which my pending order disappeared about 30 mins ago.)
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I'll also chime in here, the growth they experienced was not handled as well as it could, in fact it resulted in a lot of problems. THAT SAID, a lost of hosting companies have had that problem in the past and have recovered. We all know site5's rep before the problems and they still have the same people so I have no doubt they will recover and hopefully have learned how to properly handle growth! I know they have been scrambling to hire techs and fix the problems, so hopefully this is a sign they have recovered...
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by SJRHosting
    Here I thought they took their reseller plans down to come back with a more stable system in the future. Not sure how offering more storage space and bandwidth then before can help the situation they are in.
    looks like they are now using RAID5 arrays built with 10k Raptor drives...impressive as long as their resellers don't assume they can have thousands of accounts and they cut down on the number of resellers per server. They were using single SATA drives in the past which can easily result in huge i/o wait percentages.

sure it says unlimited but if you have a 4 figure client base you need to be using dedicated servers, large vps at minimum, and not reseller plans. heck I wouldn't trust more than 100 clients on any reseller package no matter how good the host.
    Last edited by jmcole; 11-02-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcole
    sure it says unlimited but if you have a 4 figure client base you need to be using dedicated servers, large vps at minimum, and not reseller plans. heck I wouldn't trust more than 100 clients on any reseller package no matter how good the host.
    If they offer it, people will try to use all of it. I guess time will only tell.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    I'll also chime in here, the growth they experienced was not handled as well as it could, in fact it resulted in a lot of problems. THAT SAID, a lost of hosting companies have had that problem in the past and have recovered. We all know site5's rep before the problems and they still have the same people so I have no doubt they will recover and hopefully have learned how to properly handle growth! I know they have been scrambling to hire techs and fix the problems, so hopefully this is a sign they have recovered...
    Hasn't Site5 themselves had this same problem in the past?Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.

The only things I know about Site5 are the things I read from people here and elsewhere, and right now the picture isn't pretty. Like zyzzyvas, I'd like to know just how they make an "uncrowded" server profitable based on the plans they offer. Honestly, I always thought more highly of Site5 in the past, when they seemed to have a reasonable outlook on hosting. Lately, with their offerings, they strike me as no different than any of the other hosts trying to offer everything for nothing, and they are obviously suffering for it.

https://secure.site5.com/order/reseller.php

The Ridiculous Twenty Dollar Reseller Deal

10 GB space, 2 TB bandwidth, 3 IPs, Private nameservers & Billing system

* The most ridiculous reseller deal on the planet - $20.00/month
    Couldn't agree more, it is indeed most ridiculous reseller deal on the planet

I can't refrain from laughing at this statement:

A lot of folks have been waiting for this, I'm sure...
    What most people are looking for is a service, a reliable one.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcole
    looks like they are now using RAID5 arrays built with 10k Raptor drives...impressive as long as their resellers don't assume they can have thousands of accounts and they cut down on the number of resellers per server. They were using single SATA drives in the past which can easily result in huge i/o wait percentages.
    Multiple drives in RAID 5 will have slower write performance than individual drives with no RAID.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I am impressed by the 2 TB of transfer, wonder what would happen if people actually used that... I don't care to checkout their TOS, but imagine there are clauses that limit the types of files/transfer. Last time I checked 2TB per month anywhere would cost a small fortune.

I could have sworn I posted in here that I would never trust Site 5's reseller plans with my clients and was wondering how many would. Where did that go. Dude I am freaked out that all the biz is eating at my brain. It must be the government trying to sabotage my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by concreteman
    I am impressed by the 2 TB of transfer, wonder what would happen if people actually used that... I don't care to checkout their TOS, but imagine there are clauses that limit the types of files/transfer. Last time I checked 2TB per month anywhere would cost a small fortune.
    Honestly if everyone used their data transfer allotment at Site5, not only would their own internal network be maxed out, but I'd imagine even their upstream (NAC) would have trouble coping with it. Just look at their shared hosting plans, you get 5TB transfer which is just under 20mbits sustained. 20mbits is a lot of bandwidth to allocate to a single shared hosting account. If just 50 of their shared accounts are maxing their allotment, that's a whole GigE (1000mbit) right there. That's pretty serious bandwidth.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

yeah, think I will also offer free car washes to all oversees accounts and then in the TOS let them know they need to bring their car (no trucks), to my residence on Saturday morning between 9:00 and 9:30am (first come first serve).

Basic point is that the deal sounds good but would be hard to fulfill... I won't bother ranting about overselling and in spite of the problems site5 has had I wish them well. Seems their growth has cost them, they will probably do OK and sell off. Won't be the last post about them in any case.
    Server$Hit.com Reseller/Hosting For Real People
    WebHostingAccess Trial Accounts Upon Request
    www.ForALaugh.com Get over IT Get over yourself
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

Well, we might have to get used to hearing about Site one way or another, as they seem to be actively encouraging customers to spread the word. From http://www.site5.com/specials/

We've decided to try a different approach...

We're using our advertising budget to give 40 people per day a HUGE discount on our new MultiSite Dynamite plan. (...)

Why? In return, we're counting on these customers to help us spread the word about Site5 and MultiSite. In a sense we're still "paying" for advertising, but we feel much better knowing that the money is going to our own customers and not lining the pockets of some big advertising agency. (...)

You're asking me to recommend your services simply because you gave me a big discount?

Absolutely not. You should recommend our services only if you like them!

We're selling these accounts at over 70% off so we can get a large group of people to try out the new and improved MultiSite platform. If you like it as much as we think you will, all we ask in return is that you tell others about Site5 and MultiSite.
    You're right, MultiSite is great! How can I let others know?

Any way you like! Remember that as a webmaster, you already have a great way to communicate with many people on a daily basis. Here are just a few of the ways our customers let their visitors know about their esteemed hosting company:

* Post an announcement to your site/forums/blog letting people know that you've moved to a new host, along with your reasons for choosing us over the competition.
    * Place a "Hosted by Site5" link at the bottom of your site.
    * Mention us in a discussion group or forum about web hosting.
    * If you know someone else with a website, tell them we're your host and that you love us!
    * Make a blog post reviewing our services.

Remember: We only want you to recommend us if you actually like our service!

This special is based entirely on the honor system. You trust us with your website, and we, in turn, trust you!

I personally don't think it is a bad tactic to reward customers like that and the fact is they are using industry standard methods to obtain customers, I might not stoop that low. What is important is how they treat those customers once they get them. I might consider the 5 or 10 percent that bail those that need what is offered but not provided by the advertising... I could be seriously wrong however.
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

Hi. I am an old customer of Site5. We continue to work with another company now. But we have still a reseller account on Site5 and could not move all of the domains to our new host yet. The uptime of Site5 servers is not bad. But the servers are unsecure. Also connection to Cpanel/WHM and FTP is very slow. Their support is poor and very slow at this time. They still continue to make overselling. They are getting worse everyday. If you are looking for a reliable hosting provider when stay away from Site5.
    DomainCart - Domain and Hosting Shopping Cart with Integrated Bootstrap Hosting Template.
    www.domaincart.net - Demo

Wow....

$140 a year for 10gb space and 2TB bandwidth a month? works out to about $10/mth...that is so cheap...but is it worth the trouble? downtime etc? This has to be major major overselling or overloading its server with lots and lots of accounts.

Eventhough they have had bad records in the last few months but I know a lot will take the bite, and if I dont have any critical websites I would go back to them too.

UPDATE:

Got my "welcoming" e-mail finally, within the 6 hours timeframe; Not bad in a way. HOWEVER, the RVSkin Manager returns with error (access denied). Sent support a ticket at 3:05 PM (Eastern time), but yet to hear from them (after almost 7 hours now). What about the 15 minutes support turnaround average that they USED TO BE so proud of??
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave
    What about the 15 minutes support turnaround average that they USED TO BE so proud of??
    They've long since abandoned that claim. They also used to have a page where you could see how many tickets were live in the support/billing/abuse queues. Gone. And their affiliate program? Gone ages ago.

Basically, most of what made them stand out is gone, or was never *actually* offered (eg. the RAPID REFLEX farce).

* Mention us in a discussion group or forum about web hosting.
    That explains why krazykermit is playing "Site5 cheerleader".
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Well, we might have to get used to hearing about Site one way or another, as they seem to be actively encouraging customers to spread the word. From http://www.site5.com/specials/

Double-edged sword. The same people who will do this will also spread the word about any poor service they get. If they leave Site5, they'll also probably post detailed information as to why.

Double-edged sword.
    It always is. However, the balance can be made to tip on the "correct" side, if you truly make these accounts "special".

Wait, is this one more reason to get one of these specials?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc

Great... hopefully, they'll start showing up as www.*****.com.

I had an account with them for almost a year... and that was too long.

I still say they'd be a much better company if they put the same effort into support that they put into policing their forums.

There's nothing special enough about that special that even comes close to tempting me to give them another chance.

Hi,

I hardly doubt they will be banned from the forum as they comply with community rules.

Everybody has their insight on what is good or bad service its opnions only which site5 are not violating.

They have a large clientele list so I am sure some are still happy while some are unhappy. Keep in mind clients are most likely to rant than give praises.
    Psychz Networks - Enterprise Servers & Data Center Professionals
    ★24/7 On-Site Support - Premium Server Hardware
    ★Facilities: Los Angeles, CA - Dallas, TX | Tier-4 Data Centers
    ★Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Psychz DDoS-Shield™ On-Premise Mitigation

Quote Originally Posted by clanosiris
    Hi,

I hardly doubt they will be banned from the forum as they comply with community rules.
    You must not have been paying attention a year or 2 ago when they had problems and were deleting all the posts in their own forums. Their customers were trashing them bad, and it went both ways... I believe you misunderstood the post.

Quote Originally Posted by concreteman
    You must not have been paying attention a year or 2 ago when they had problems and were deleting all the posts in their own forums. Their customers were trashing them bad, and it went both ways... I believe you misunderstood the post.
    For al it matters, they could deleted their entire forum, that still has nothing to do with WHT or give a reason for them to be banned here.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Quote Originally Posted by CRego3D
    For al it matters, they could deleted their entire forum, that still has nothing to do with WHT or give a reason for them to be banned here.
    Am I missing something? I don't find any mention of Site5 being banned on WHT.

Wait, is this one more reason to get one of these specials?
    Hurry up Dan, if you don't, you might miss out.
    CatfishEd.com

Here? When, last year? Would "elsewhere" be their forum, where negative posts are deleted?

Now I'm not sure if you're spamming site5, or just promoting your own comedy routine.

See if you pick up a pattern in the attached image. Keep in mind that it's a simple title search for Site5 -- I didn't even have to add negative keywords.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails site5-wht-search-20061103.gif  

I guess I'll chime in here...

I picked up a deal they were running about two weeks ago for a friend ... my associate was looking for a small reseller account, I didn't have the resources to offer it to them personally so we went looking. They came up with site5 and I went ahead and ordered for them and was planning on facilitating the site move.

The order was placed Monday October 23rd at 8:30 pm and the login information was received on Wednesday October 25th at 8:15 am. I only got the account information after two phone calls and 3 emails (by the way I never talked to anyone on the phone *ever*, after you wait on hold for 20 minutes it dumps to voicemail with a message that someone will get back to you WITHIN A DAY!) For anyone who may say that they only setup accounts during business hours - there is a note when you place your order that they process orders 24/7.

After I received the login - I was kind of excited to checkout there new flashback feature - though after an hour or so of digging and reading the help documentation I sent a support ticket saying my account didn't have the proper link. This was sent October 25th at 10:00 pm after a couple of e-mails I found out that flash back wasn't installed on the server I was on but would be soon - soon was described as one to two weeks. It took until October 27th at 1pm to get this bit of information. The whole thing about flashback not being installed and the 18 hour support responses were the deal breaker. You can't go to a page on there site without finding an ad for the flashback service, and it wasn't even installed everywhere!!

I requested a cancellation and refund on October 26th at 9:00 pm with all information I could think to include (full name address and phone #, domain name hosted, invoice numbers and last four of my credit card) and only after two phone calls (ended up leaving voicemail since like I stated earlier after you hold for 20 minutes it disconnects you and dumps you to voicemail) did I get the confirmation that my account had been cancelled and refund processed.. that occured October 30th at 9:30 pm - 4 days later!
    neil MCITP, VCP

"Special" treatment for "special" accounts. I can see that. Have a small cadre of people you treat differently to try and mitigate some of the other poor word of mouth coming out.

I don't know that I'd like to put myself up as a test case, though.

After the misery of moving a whole lot of clients because they were very unhappy with Site5, I would not host anything with them even if they gave me that plan free for the next 5 years.

Site5 lost my trust and no matter what type of crazy plan they offer, they will never get it back.

Hopefully, a mod will verify that the OP owns a domain that is actually hosted with Site5. I noticed that someone requested it in another thread and he didn't reply.

Quote Originally Posted by clanosiris
    I was referring to the site name being banned (www.*****.com)--not them being banned as users. If WHT gets flooded with posts because they are telling people to post, that is spam.

The title of their specials page is "Tell your friends and save $250 instantly!"

And then... "Mention us in a discussion group or forum about web hosting."

The existence of this thread is a pretty good example of the problem with that advertising method. Not a single positive review about Site5 recently, except for this thread by a new guy that just recently registered here (who then goes on to say that Site5 is highly regarded here, showing that he hasn't bothered to do any reading or searching before posting this).

It's also kind of funny that a company that spends their time deleting what people think about them from their own forums has no problem telling them to go post on other peoples' forums.

Everybody has their insight on what is good or bad service its opnions only which site5 are not violating.
    It's true that everyone will have their own opinions about Site5... but that insight should be information based on actual experience (and more than a week of it)--not "spreading the word" because a specials page tells you to.

Site5 isn't getting any positive reviews here and they know it. I guess that's why they need to tell people to post. A smarter move would be to fix what everyone is complaining about, rather than than try to dilute a sea of complaints with a few drops of spam.

See the image in my last post for "insight" from WHT users, based on their actual experience--rather than the release of a new sale.

They have a large clientele list so I am sure some are still happy while some are unhappy. Keep in mind clients are most likely to rant than give praises.
    The happiest ones are likely the ones that haven't seen how Site5 operates when the going gets tough. I was on that list until very recently and had recommended them to several people during the good times.

I was perfectly happy with them for about 10 months (because there weren't any problems). The first problems I ran into were because their techs botched a mail upgrade, which lead to delayed and lost incoming mail. Surprisingly, no matter how fast they deleted threads on their forum, it still didn't get the mail servers up and running!

Meanwhile, I'm sitting there staring at my support ticket that went unanswered for 15+ hours in one window, while watching them spend their time policing the forums in another.

After seeing how they handle themselves on their own forum, I wouldn't even go back to them if they trained support to do their jobs. In my opinion, deleting the truth is the same as lying. It must really bug them that their delete button can't reach outside of their own forum.

And I'm not talking about from the distant past, where they might have changed since then. This was only a month ago...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=550695

They have problems that need to be fixed--and I don't see how trying to increase sales and put more of a load on support is the way to get it done.

I wish them luck and hope they can return to what they once were, but I don't take this as a good sign that it will be happening in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast