Urgent: VPS questions: Root, Fedora, etc.

I have a task that is close to impossible: I have to find and sign-up for a VPS solution that has following minimal requirements TODAY:

- Root access
    - Linux OS
    - Fedora v4
    - MySQL

Now, I am not an expert on the subject, but how normal/abnormal these specs are? I am not worried about MySQL. What I am curious is the rest: Root access, Linux OS and Fedora version 4 - how common are these requirements? Do I have to ask for them specifically? How can I understand whether a particular offer/VPS has Fedora installed? How Fedora is different from Linux? Does Root mean I can install any application on a server?

Thanks guys.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Fedora 4 is old, use CentOS-4 or Fedora 5 as a minimum

Those are the minimal requirements in order to run the project. Am I assuming correctly that if Fedora 5 is installed on a VPS instead of Fedora 4 - whatever my team planned to work with Fedora 4 - it will work with Fedora 5 just as well?

Also, do asking for 2 OS common? Does it come by default most of the time?

Thank you.

OS = most vps providers give you a choice. Fedora, CentOS, SuSE, etc. You can only pick one. 1 os per vps. If you need Fedora and SuSE for example, you'd need 2 seperate vps.

Root = all vps come with root. You can install whatever you want.

MySQL = using rot, you can install MySQL. Whatever version you need.

//edit
    Fedora IS linux. It's a version of linux. Same as windows 2000 is a version of windows.
    Last edited by Wojtek; 11-02-2006 at 06:51 AM.

Hi,

As stated above, Fedora is a version of a Linux OS. Most VPS hosts will offer you a choice of operating systems to install upon the setup of your VPS account. The options you are required to obtain, are generally pretty standard with most VPS plans, so they should not be a problem.
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Thank you everyone. I guess my confusion was about Linux relationship with Fedora - I could not figure out whether Linux and Fedora were two different entities... Now I understand what Fedora is.

So if I was told to look for Linux OS Fedora version 4, if I choose Fedora 4 to be installed as an OS, that would mean it is run by Linux by default, correct?

As I am getting closer to my decision - I was asked to look for Fedora 4. But since there are newer versions, like Fedora 5 - are these the exact applications (with minor updates) or would there be some fundamental changes? An application that can run successfully on Fedora 4 - would it run just as good on Fedora 5?

Sorry if I am not making a lot of sense.

Hi!
    I don't think so. Fed 5 is a big jump from Fed 4. By all means..if you need Fed 4..get Fed4! It's still updated...not as much as others..but it's not like requesting something that isn't updated at all..say...like Fedora 2.

I would think this would be the best bet for you: Get a VPS that you can remake..there are many out there...with a control panel that *you* can decide what OS goes on the VPS. Install Fed 4...do whatever you need to do with it.

Make a backup (make sure the host can do this too) and then..install fed 5 and see if there are any differences. If it doesn't work..you can remake from the backup...and back where you started from.

Just out of curiousity...what is the thing that needs Fed 4? You don't have to share if you don't want to..I'm just the curious type.

You want some names? Ok....

http://www.vpslink.com
    http://www.quantact.com

are the two I have used before. I'm not sure about doing the backup with then, though..that was a no-issue. Best bet: ask first!

>>These two hosts are not expensive..if you *really* wanted to know if Fed5 could work..get two of 'em..put fed 4 on one..and fed 5 on the other..then have at it and see if there are big differences. Both have month to month plans..so..it's not like you would have keep both past the first month.

Good luck!

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 11-02-2006 at 05:18 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hello Bryon, thank you so much for a great insight.

I guess if the changes are that visible, I'd rather stick with a Linux VPS running Fedora 4. I really do not know why they asked for 4 and not 5. My team just asked me to get a server for testing purposes, so I am simply following the instructions to satisfy their request.

As quality of service and support are important factors, I was actually looking into more support-friendly services like

www.dehe.com
    www.spry.com (parent of VPSlink)

I was named a few companies including ServInt, but its a little more expensive. In addition, I don't think we'll be using more than 5% of server resources anyway, so, there is no need to go big at this point.

Does anyone know if the companies above provide MANAGED service (I won't be installing anything on my own, nor do I want to)? Do you know other great support-friendly VPS companies that provide MANAGED service?

Best,

Hi!
    Spry themselves have many options..I would talk to them about it.

If you get VPSlink..you are on your own. You'll want to install Mysql and a more current version of PHP...so perhaps that's not what you need.

I know nothing about Servint..other than they are $$$$. There are people that swear by them..I don't know. They never had a intro deal to intice me to signup..so I've had no experience with them.

I did have a nice time with Liquidweb..they offer managed..so..maybe they're worth a look. I can't really recommend them, though..many things have changed..and if what I've seen is any example..these were not good changes.

They completely floored me by not being able to answer a simple question: What version of Server 2003 do you offer? Sad...four days..five emails...pathetic.

I might consider them for a dedicated box...certainly not a Windows box.

The best way to go at this is to visit the advertising section of the board..and look for deals to try them out..many offer really good deals for the first month or so.

Good luck!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Well Fedora 4 isn't that bad as long as you update the kernel and everything. Some programs/control panels won't run on FC5 yet....

Any VPS should have root access...thats a given...you install everything yourself (MySQL) unless you get a control panel that does it for you or a managed VPS.

Check the offers forum...there are plenty of VPS hosters around...also how much space/RAM do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    They completely floored me by not being able to answer a simple question: What version of Server 2003 do you offer? Sad...four days..five emails...pathetic.
    That cracked me up when I read it...
    The best way to go at this is to visit the advertising section of the board..and look for deals to try them out..many offer really good deals for the first month or so.
    True. That's what I did and that's how I discovered Spry.com.
    Since time was pressing, I have already setup the account with them and a 30% off coupon came in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    Well Fedora 4 isn't that bad as long as you update the kernel and everything. Some programs/control panels won't run on FC5 yet....

Check the offers forum...there are plenty of VPS hosters around...also how much space/RAM do you need?
    Browsing through the offers section gave me a lot of material to work with already. Space/RAM needed is minimal. The VPS I am getting is for testing one of the application modules. We have a total of 3 servers for testing purposes. Each module being tested separately, and all located in different environments.

I got some very geeky explanation I didn't really understand in regard to why Fedora 4 was that important. Apparently, one more application will require it. Also, as I was told, Fedora 4 is the only stable release at this point.

I want to thank you guys for being so kind and responsive. As I mentioned above, the choice for now fell on Spry, so we'll see how it works out.

Best,

I won't choose Fedora in production since it is unstable, buggy and full of security holes. Rather use Centos instead.

Fedora isn't that much different than CentOS, infact for some people it would be better since it is supported by Redhat....CentOS 4 (RHEL4) is actually based off of Fedora Core...

I don't know about an stability issues or security issues that couldn't be fixed by updating your system, as with every operating system out there.

Hi!

Bryon

Byron,
    I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your experience with Liquid Web. I would like to investigate this matter, can you please private message me your ticket numbers so that I can provide you satisfaction?

Thank you for your help.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand