Is a private switch ($10/month) worth it?

Is a private switch ($10/month) to a dedicated server with 100 mbps uplink port worth it? (In general or please tell me in what type of situation would it be worth it.)

What's the point of having a private switch?

Thanks in advance.

There is no point. Because you wiil have to look after it. IMO

If you are doing a lot of intermachine transfer (such as a seperate MySQL server) it means it won't count towards your external bandwidth usage
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Yep, it's well worth if you have a dedicated remote MySQL server within the same DC. I used to have a client who was reluctant to pay the extra and ended up bandwidth overage well worth above $1000.

It's certainly not worth it if you only have one machine!

If you have more than one, I believe it's $10 / per machine.

It is worth it if one of your machines is over bandwidth and the others are under bandwidth, or as wheimeng said, if there is a lot of communication between machines.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng
    Yep, it's well worth if you have a dedicated remote MySQL server within the same DC. I used to have a client who was reluctant to pay the extra and ended up bandwidth overage well worth above $1000.
    lol

BTW would it be faster having both the servers on a private switch for a remote mysql server?
    Snapya

Quote Originally Posted by snapya
    lol

BTW would it be faster having both the servers on a private switch for a remote mysql server?
    any servers that need to talk to each other a fair mount should consider it.

At LT I have a MySQL server that does something like 40Mbit solid of local traffic alone.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony