Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leeware - Are they good?

Hi,
    I am looking into buying a VPS for a bit of fun. I came across Leeware. Has anyone had any exeriences with them?
    Nathy

I've heard nothing bad of them. Are you a very well experienced person to manage it? What's your budget BTW?

I have a VPS there. It's okay. I'm not really using it for anything however.

I am looking for the cheapest and the best. I thought I would do it to learn about VPS's and I have no experience with them before. Although I do have alot of computer experience and programming.

If you find the best, it won't be the cheapest. If you find the cheapest it won't be the best. If you can specify a budget, you might get help trying to find the best for that price.

I have only been with Leeware a couple of weeks, so take this for whatever it's worth, but I have been very pleased so far. I moved my sites over from a reseller account and everything has been working fine. I like the fact that Lee uses Xen and that the machines are unmanaged. I am comfortable with managing my own Linux servers so the unmanaged is a plus for me. The uptime has been great and the performance has been very good. Support emails are usually answered in a few hours, which is commendable given that Lee is a solo shop. Finally, you can't beat all that with the price of $25/month.

When I used Leeware couple months ago, my account was a VMware virtual server.
    For learning purposes it should be good.
    Just keep in mind Lee won't be able to hold your hand and help you fix a problem. 100% unmanaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathy
    Hi,
    I am looking into buying a VPS for a bit of fun. I came across Leeware. Has anyone had any exeriences with them?
    Nathy
    Something tells me that you wouldn't like it unmanaged, even if it's for fun.

Well, it probably won't be a very powerful VPS seeing they only have an Athlon 64 processor....I wonder how many people they load on that seeing their price is $25 for 384MB....they must put atleast 6-8 people to make a good profit.

Actually the contention ratios are 4:1 on the $25 month XEN based systems. This is noted in the offer section. As it relates to performance, its not so much how many are on a server as it is what they are being used for that ends up being the issue. Granted you are not going to be able to run an hosting business from one of the the budget VPS accounts. As I've said both privately and publically, If it works for you great. If not, that's the good thing about this market there are a lot of providers that cater to the different needs people have for hosting.
    Last edited by leeware; 11-03-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with Leeware - I am just waiting for an email back from them now.
    Thanks

How do you make money off of $100/machine? Rack space, bandwidth, and the machine would cost close to $100 I'm guessing...does that even make it worth it for you?

I'm very happy with Lee services and support - I have 512 MB VPS with Fedora and all works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    How do you make money off of $100/machine? Rack space, bandwidth, and the machine would cost close to $100 I'm guessing...does that even make it worth it for you?
    same question.

it's unbelievable.
    Free Advice: Do your research before you sign up, there are just way more bad hosts than you could imagine....

Devonblzx, RonyZ,

I think you'll find the answers to your questions here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hlight=leeware

I like Leeware.

Lee helped me a lot. I need my VPS fast, which never happened due to eCheck, but I did get it. The server is fast, and performs great! I'm so impressed.

Thumbs up, Leeware.
    AS395558

I read this thread a while back when I was looking for a VPS. I ended up going with LeeWare and after three months with him thought I would share my thoughts.
    First off you need to understand that the VPS in unmanaged. So your responsible for all admin duties. About the only thing you should contact Lee for is a reboot. But that was cool with me.
    The service is very good. I had some problems initially with a date drift that ended up being attributable to the CentOS version and the VPS software in use on the server. It took a kernel upgrade to fix but now with that done everything works quite well. If you go with Leeware and have the time drift issue just shoot me a message and I'll send you some detailed directions on how to fix it.
    About the only inconvenience has been needing to move servers a few times. It just takes about a few hours to RSYNC the server, reinstall your custom software, and change your DNS IP pointers.
    All in all though, is that for the price, the VPS is an incredible value. And when problems arise Lee has always be excellent to work with.

time drift

Hi,

could you PM me with some details on your fix?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBath
    I read this thread a while back when I was looking for a VPS. I ended up going with LeeWare and after three months with him thought I would share my thoughts.
    First off you need to understand that the VPS in unmanaged. So your responsible for all admin duties. About the only thing you should contact Lee for is a reboot. But that was cool with me.
    The service is very good. I had some problems initially with a date drift that ended up being attributable to the CentOS version and the VPS software in use on the server. It took a kernel upgrade to fix but now with that done everything works quite well. If you go with Leeware and have the time drift issue just shoot me a message and I'll send you some detailed directions on how to fix it.
    About the only inconvenience has been needing to move servers a few times. It just takes about a few hours to RSYNC the server, reinstall your custom software, and change your DNS IP pointers.
    All in all though, is that for the price, the VPS is an incredible value. And when problems arise Lee has always be excellent to work with.

Someone has setup a repository of pre-compiled kernels for CentOS 4
    kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3 to fix the drift problem here:

h t t p : / / w w w . vmware . com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=60462

I used this RPM

h t t p : / / vmware.xaox . net/centos/4/i386/kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.plus.c4.VMware.i686.rpm

and also added the "clock=pit" to the new kernel grub entry.

-- sorry, you'll have to remove the spaces from the web addresses, I don't have five posts yet

How is it possible to try to replace the kernel on a guest wiithout locking yourself out?

Can you give some more details?

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBath
    Someone has setup a repository of pre-compiled kernels for CentOS 4
    kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3 to fix the drift problem here:

h t t p : / / w w w . vmware . com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=60462

I used this RPM

h t t p : / / vmware.xaox . net/centos/4/i386/kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.plus.c4.VMware.i686.rpm

and also added the "clock=pit" to the new kernel grub entry.

-- sorry, you'll have to remove the spaces from the web addresses, I don't have five posts yet

It should just be:
    rpm -ivh RPM name
    This will update the kernel. It should be able to be done no problem from an SSH session.
    The edit the /etc/grub.conf and add the clock=pit line to the end of the kernel line.
    Then reboot the system (reboot -r now)
    That will kick you out but the system will be back up and runningto where you can log in within 10 minutes or so.
    Hope that helps.

Update on time drift issue.

If you run yum updates it is important to add the kernel to your exclude list.

Something I found out the hard way after yum updated my kernel to a stock redhat release.

Good point, I probably should have mentioned that

Hello,

I just a got an unmanaged VPS from Leeware.com. Almost everything has been set up by myself, but I have problem with setting up the BIND DNS server in Webmin. I actually read quite a few tutorials but still couldn't figure it out.

Here's my problem:
    Below is the output of 'dig' through SSH:

dig everything-chinese.com @ns1.everything-chinese.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> everything-chinese.com @ns1.everything-chinese.com
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 47998
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;everything-chinese.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    everything-chinese.com. 1800 IN A 66.90.121.80

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    everything-chinese.com. 1800 IN NS ns2.everything-chinese.com.
    everything-chinese.com. 1800 IN NS ns1.everything-chinese.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns2.everything-chinese.com. 1800 IN A 66.90.121.232

;; Query time: 1 msec
    ;; SERVER: 66.90.121.80#53(66.90.121.80)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Mar 17 12:51:46 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 108
    my two nameservers: ns1/ns2.everything-chinese.com

From the running results of 'dig', everything seems to be correct, but I cannot access my website through http://www.everything-chinese.com .

I am wondering if you can give me some help with setting up the BIND DNS Server?

thank you so much!!
    Tubenode.com - FFMPEG, PHP & RoR Hosting
    RCholic.com - R/C videos sharing

then, I checked my DNS server at http://www.checkdns.net/ and I got the following error:

Got DNS list for 'everything-chinese.com' from j.gtld-servers.net
    Found NS record: ns1.everything-chinese.com[66.90.121.80], was resolved to IP address by j.gtld-servers.net
    Found NS record: ns2.everything-chinese.com[66.90.121.232], was resolved to IP address by j.gtld-servers.net
    Domain has 2 DNS server(s)

CheckDNS.NET is verifying if NS are alive
    Error fetching SOA from ns1.everything-chinese.com [66.90.121.80], request timed out. Probably DNS server is offline.
    Error fetching SOA from ns2.everything-chinese.com [66.90.121.232], request timed out. Probably DNS server is offline.
    0 server(s) are alive
    No DNS servers alive, tests stopped
    but what is error fetching SOA from...?? how to correct the errors??

thanks!!
    Tubenode.com - FFMPEG, PHP & RoR Hosting
    RCholic.com - R/C videos sharing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast