PayPal Temporary Holds

When you get an e-mail like this from PayPal:

Subject: PayPal Notification: Temporary Hold Pending Investigation

It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of potentially unauthorized funds. We have initiated an investigation into this event. In the meantime, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds in question until the investigation is complete. This temporary hold will show as a deduction in your available balance. In the meantime, you are free to continue transacting using your PayPal account.
    What do you do to the customer who caused it? Do you suspend their account immediately?

It says *potentially* unauthorized, and I've had this type of hold happen before where afterwards PayPal said the funds were fine and returned them to me. But sometimes PayPal says the funds were really unauthorized and doesn't return them to me.

Well I suspend the account simply for security reasons. I've had a few people create accounts with stolen PayPal accounts in the past and not one turned out to be legit. To me it's a good sign that things may not be as they seem and you're better safe than sorry.

Suspend the account. I don't know what's going on, but in the past few months we had about 30-40% fraudulent signups, all paid with stolen PayPal accounts. PayPal needs to do something about this.
    MaxterHostsimply different.
    cPanel Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller Accounts, Managed/Self-Managed VPS Hosting and more
    17+ Years of Experience | Enhanced Security | 24x7 Support | 100% Uptime SLA

Pure SSD Hosting

Since when is paypal responsible for you using common sense and verifying your orders?
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    Since when is paypal responsible for you using common sense and verifying your orders?
    ^^ ok thats totally confusing.

Did you mean to say below :

Since when is paypal responsible for you, not using common sense and verifying your orders

??
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

I think he/she did but tbh until I read your post I thought it did

The mind eh!!

And of course PayPal are responsible. Maybe not 100% but if they can't keep their accounts secure then they need to find another business.

Do you believe pixelized that MS aren't responsible for keeping their browser security patched too?
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by SH-Giles
    Do you believe pixelized that MS aren't responsible for keeping their browser security patched too?
    Aah dont drag poor MS into this , they are nothing but an example of blind faith and marketing , they dont give damn about stuff other than making money
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

depending on how the account information was obtained the blame is either on paypal or on the user, maybe even a third party site.

1. if paypal had a vulnerbility in their scripts, I would blame paypal.
    2. If the user used the same password at paypal at he/she used for signing up on a "suspecious" site, the user is to blame for being stupid.
    3. if the information has been taken from a 3rd party site (because of vulnerble scripts used on that site) the 3rd party is to blame.

Do you blame the car company who built the car becaue you forgot to fill the car up with gas??

my 2 eurocent....

Me, monitor the account closely to make sure no fishy activities is going on, but I wont suspend the account. Give them about a week and push Paypal for a resolution.

My customers are mostly Asian, and I don't know why, they are always being labelled as potential fraud.

Even when I use 2checkout, a few legit transactions are declined.

Yes. I heard horror stories that spammers create account with fraud card or PP account, brought down the whole server, left and repeat the cycle with another host.. but so far, I'm careful and lady luck has always been at my side.

Best, keep contact with that unfortunate user... Ask him does he know why Paypal classify his account as "potential fraud"
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Aah dont drag poor MS into this , they are nothing but an example of blind faith and marketing , they dont give damn about stuff other than making money

Easy target sorry
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

We receive PayPal Holds occasionally, due to fraudulent payments. They probably number several each year, and thats about .003% of the payment volume (# of transactions) we receive.

So honestly, if you are getting 30 to 40% of your payments as fraudulent, you aren't verifying/calling your customers.

One other thing I always do, besides immediatly suspending the account is emailing the user via the email they signed up with and seeing if that bounces or if I get a reply.

Out of curiosity I looked through all my records, last year I got about 10 suspicious PayPal signups, I caught all 10 before PayPal got involved, and all 10 ended up being rogue paypal accounts. It's all about looking at the transaction and signup, does everything match up? Usually not.

If I got a transaction that was put on hold and everything matched up properly then perhaps I wouldn't suspend the account right away. But since I don't do automatic signups anymore, I'd still feel safe.

What do you do to the customer who caused it? Do you suspend their account immediately?
    Clearly.
    They haven't paid yet, so their account should be put on hold.
    Once their payment has cleared (if it does), then unsuspend the account. If it doesn't, then terminate the account.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

all i know is it didnt happen inthe past, so unless a whole slew of really stupid people are getting paypal accounts i think its paypals fault.

i think someone found a bug and is exploiting it, i had a bunch of these not to long ago and as i stated in another thread it messed me up for a bit but now i got some more protection.

it certenly is not the hosts fault, and personally i dont thinks the users who owns the account either
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!