Ecommerce Server Specs Needed

I need a server for an ecommerce store.

I want it to be able to take up to 5000 hits a day and maybe 50-100 purchase transactions every day. There will also be an address book for users to send their orders to. The store is airing a commercial locally in a few weeks. We're also thinking about emailing to MSN users, so the bandwidth should be able to handle that. What type of specs should I be looking for?

Keep in mind, we're on a budget.

Your hardware requirements will depend on the cart software you are using, the size of your product database and the size of your customer base (if you allow creation of customer accounts and keep order history).

Assuming the software is optimized and the database is small, you should be ok with low-end system, though. 5000 hits/day is definitely not much.
    :: Mountain Network Systems :: 323-933-9291
    eCommerce solutions since 1995
    http://www.webcart.net/

5000hits is just page view right? how about the users on the site at same time?

I'd have to guestimate as I have know idea what we'll get.
    I do know there are about 1000 products in the product database. I don't expect more than 50 users on the site at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Webcart
    Your hardware requirements will depend on the cart software you are using, the size of your product database and the size of your customer base (if you allow creation of customer accounts and keep order history).

Assuming the software is optimized and the database is small, you should be ok with low-end system, though. 5000 hits/day is definitely not much.

What do you consider a "low-end system" in terms of specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruin03
    I'd have to guestimate as I have know idea what we'll get.
    I do know there are about 1000 products in the product database. I don't expect more than 50 users on the site at the same time.
    Well, 1000 products is quite a large product database. What cart software are you using?
    Some carts might not handle it very well, especially with extensive product category structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruin03
    What do you consider a "low-end system" in terms of specs?
    Unless there are performance issues with your cart, I would say anything you could get from a *reputable* provider would be fine - they simply won't have anything in stock that can't handle this kind of load

Any well configurated P4, Celeron or comparable AMD box with 512MB of RAM should be fine. However, considering all the money you put into the advertisment, I would suggest something like P4 2.8MHz or better with 1GB of RAM. I don't think it's must to have requirement, but the price difference is insignificant and it will provide much better browsing experience for your users in terms of page load times.

Once again, this is a rough estimation based on the information you provided (or should I say, didn't provide )