too many visits from one ip

today i discovered that at one of my domains there are too many hits at the index page (150.000) from 1 ip only causing high bandwith usage (almost 2gb in 24 hours) (is this some kind of attack??) , could someone suggest me what to do ? propably banning the ip seems like the right thing to do, but is there a more complete solution for future attacks from other ips ? im gonna install awstats to check if there are more ips, is there any other tool with wich i can analyze apache logs ?

according banning the ip i found at a topic here ( that there are many solutions, i think the most wise is the one using iptables command. any advice on that subject (best way to ban ip) or any iptables tutorial (excluding man iptables) ?

thanks in advance.

ps. the ip is

Waco, TX
    That IP belongs to "" it seems they may be scanning your site for some reason, I do not know why.

If you are facing that you are under any kind of ddos attack then try to install and configure apf and bfd if you are using linux web servers.

United States
    (D)DoS-Deflate will help you:
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ ::: VINAX, LLC ::: ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

if you want to block their IP via iptables run:

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s -j DROP

moving forward a solution such as the one from medialayer or similar will help you.

good luck!

p.s. good iptables how-to:
    Last edited by jmcole; 11-02-2006 at 02:01 AM.