Help finding a reasonably priced host for photography community site

We have a photography community website that allows users to upload images and receive a monthly newsletter & trade photography equipment etc.

We have now changed our host 3 times and would like to find a reliable host that meets most of our requirements.

Storage space > 10gb.
    Bandwidth 10gb
    PHP, MYSQL, PERL on linux

Min 5000 emails per hour ( only a couple of times a month not every hour)

Good, responsive support.

And we use Xupload to monitor image upload progress which does not work on cluster storage (learnt this the hard way recently with Servage)

Any assitance/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by phook
    We have a photography community website that allows users to upload images and receive a monthly newsletter & trade photography equipment etc.

We have now changed our host 3 times and would like to find a reliable host that meets most of our requirements.

Storage space > 10gb.
    Bandwidth 10gb
    PHP, MYSQL, PERL on linux

Good, responsive support.

And we use Xupload to monitor image upload progress which does not work on cluster storage (learnt this the hard way recently with Servage)

Any assitance/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
    Due to the 5000 e-mails per hour and over 10GB of disk you're most likely going to have major problems finding a host. I would recommend a VPS or maybe a low end dedicated server.

This can be a big problem, I don't know how many providers are going to allow you to do that.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I agree VPS is what you need
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by phook
    You may want to clarify this, a bit more.

Maybe it's the issue of file locking over NFS.
    If so, there are other (and well known) ways of doing the same thing.
    In other words, cluster storage (or "filer", "NAS", whatever they call) isn't really the issue if you know a bit of programming (or if you know someone who can identify and modify the code slightly).

Other than that, I don't know what was the problem with servage's storage.
    I thought they had pretty normal NFS or something, and I had always coded with NFS compatible way that I never felt any differences.
    (I used them a few years ago.)

These days, many hosts (especially competitive hosts) use NFS based storage,
    and if the code isn't written for them, your choice can be limited.

But again, it depends on the real nature of the issue you had.

PS.

Even some VPS hosts can be using NFS storage.
    Check about that if you are going to VPS.

About the mail, you can probably devide them and send them slowly in several separate batch.
    Or maybe you can use separate list server, mailing only host/services, etc for that portion.
    Last edited by extras; 11-01-2006 at 04:30 PM.

I agree with everyone else above. It would be very hard to find a shared host that will allow you to do all this. You should either go vps or maybe even a reseller.