Jeez, this is hard work

I seem to be having a continuous battle with certain IP's making my site all but disabled...

Ive htaccess banned ranges of IP's but it continues with other IP's which have no real right to be accessing so many pages on my site. Ive always been lenient with IP's of whom Im not sure what possible service they might be providing to real users.. But I have a few issues.

1, I know there is a better way to stop banned IP's from drawing bandwidth but i cant seem to find it.

2. Is there a better way to restrict the number of hits from IP addresses?

3. Would anyone know any further info about these IP's making 000000's of hits a month?

87.250.231.8 - Yandex Russian search engine
    65.222.176.125 - CYVEILLANCE
    38.100.41.105 - Performance Systems International Inc
    8.11.2.88 - Level 3 Communications, Inc
    66.17.15.154 - Lightspeed Technologies
    38.99.203.110 - Performance Systems International Inc
    63.80.56.36 - Osborne Networks
    69.88.74.194 - Eschelon Telecommunications, Inc.
    64.34.145.194 - SiteSell
    209.11.244.162 - Krypt Technologies
    200.88.223.98 - VERIZON DOMINICANA
    72.32.118.38 - Rackspace.com, Ltd.

As ever guys, Im grateful for any help..

Why not use a firewall ? even if a software-firewall like iptables? you can drop the packets before they're getting to your webserver.

Thx PPWH, would this still work even though i was using a dns catchall script for the multitude of domains i provide pages for?

Um yes, the firewall works before anything else on the server

Great, now my site is completely down.. Inodes at 96% on the VPS should impress the host... (nothing to do with the advice given above i should reiterate)

I wonder, is there any linux VPS experts here who would do some paid help for me? By all accounts, my 20000 page views per day should be a breeze for my VPS.

The site that is causing all the problems is my domain parking site that provides mini sites for other domain owners. It is a site that is hard coded where necessary and optimised to the nth degree by a really good programmer (who unfortunately knows as much as I about servers and configurations). Each page request requires several MySql queries, but nothing excessive. It also was working fine up to this week.

However, Im not sure (as suggested above) that our server is protected properly, has the right permissions, is configured correctly or has any sort of firewall. It also uses a domain catchall script so that we do not have to park each domain in our DNS... We also have fought massive traffic requests from lots of unknown IP addresses.

Now thats the limit of what i know. So, if someone here wants to try and help me, please post here or PM me with what you can do to help....

Since you now would like to hire someone, moved to employment. Good luck!

Is iptables installed on your VPS? If so, you can easily setup your firewall. There are many resources available online on this topics. And if everything else fails, your VPS host should be able to assist you.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

This topic should be moved to the appropiate forum.
    Patrick Buckner
    INSIDER NODE

Quote Originally Posted by midPeer
    This topic should be moved to the appropiate forum.
    uhhhh, it is
    Dave

it appears we are under some sort of strange flood / Denial or service attack from zvmv.com from china.....

Weve blocked the domain but because the hits are coming multiple IP's its impossible....

aaaargh

if you give me the ip address of your site, i will block your site from that offending Krypt host.. sorry!!
    Tim M./ Krypt.com a division of VPLS,Inc.
    Find us on Facebook!!
    Office: 866-616-9099 x9090 Fax: 866-599-9593