Need help finding a host

I'm creating a site that deals with secure information and will have secure client logins. I need to find a reliable, inexpensive host with php and a mysql database. The site won't have bulletin boards or a shopping cart, but needs to be very reliable, safe and secure. The email system needs to be secure and have a good spam filter program.

I was thinking of starting with shared hosting, then maybe getting a dedicated server. Not sure if I need a dedicated server. Any suggestions on hosting and which server I need?

I've used ipowerweb for a few years on simpler sites and find them alright. I've also begun to use MediaTemple on a site, and so far they've been good.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Do you require SSL ?
    Also have a look here for mediatemple http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=559133

Perhaps a VPS would be good start for you.

"Virtual Private Server" - That is where you have full root access on a part of server.
    4cheapwebhosting.com - web hosting directory

any idea of the space and bandwidth needed?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlz
    I'm creating a site that deals with secure information and will have secure client logins.
    You will need a dedicated ip and an ssl certificate.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

I can recomend you servers4you.

Doodlz,

I'm glad you have taken the first step to finding a reliable provider instead of just going with some cheap $3/month host, have a look at the following:

www.fluidhosting.com
    www.pair.com
    www.steadfast.net
    www.myriadnetwork.com
    www.segpub.com

A good membership software is also needed to achieve your objective.

Consider amember (quite costly but I heard good review) as the script. Make sure your hosting can run the script of your choice with not much problem...
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

Thanks for all of your responses and suggestions. I'm not quite sure about the bandwidth. The site itself is fairly straightforward, brochure style with mainly text and some pictures. There should be adequate email storage. If you can't tell, I'm a bit new at this and am trying to figure things out.

A question to edu4vision: What is membership software? Is that for the login part?

I would recommend a VPS and a short DNS ttl until you find a host that you know is 100% reliable.