Smile Need recommendation for Reliable Shared Hosting

Hi all.

I'm building this site that I feel has a good potential of exploding with hits. The thing is I'm not exactly sure, but I guess I"m just hoping. This is why I want to start w/ a shared hosting service and not a dedicated.

I'm looking for a reliable host server that allows instant creation and GOOD TECHINICAL SUPPORT (help with mysql db, backups & perl modules).

I tried hostrocket, but there techinical support couldn't have gotten any worse when they messed up on a routine server switch and lost all my data. Then when it came down to doing the dirty work by reinstalling the site, modules , etc....they ignored my support tickets because I gave a poor attitude since I was upset when they lost my data.

My site has the potential of receiving 700 - 20,000 visitors a day. It will most likely increase dramtically over the months. My estimated goal is within 12 months, I will have about 20,000 members coming to my site.

When it does grow, I plan on getting a dedicated server, but to start up with little cost, I need a good reliable hosting server that is very friendly when it comes to installing PERL modules. A host where I can sign up, setup my script, install the necessary modules and have the site running within or less than 24-48 hrs.

Also a host that won't be slow and can handle good MYSQL transactions when I get lots of visitors.

I have not really used shared hosting service for about 3-4 years ago, my last stump with HostRocket. A lot has seemed to change when it comes to looking for a good hosting service. I checked out ipower.com but they're plans seemed a little bit too good to be true and I have a feeling if my site would get lots of hits, they're uptime might not go as well.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bobby.

What's an approximate budget for you?

Hello Bobby, welcome to WHT

What are your needs in space and bandwidth?
    Do you have any preference in control panes?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hey,

thanks. sorry to leave those details out!

I'm looking to spend about 10-30 bucks a month for now. Ipower seems doable but paying such a low price for that many features, I feel like theres something gotta give if I choose them.

I need at least 50-150 gb bandwidth (this is not a major concern, because I'm willing to increase my budget for more bandwidth if the time comes)

Not too much space...i wont have lots of files or images---so ne thing around 100mb-400 mb is a good amount. It seems like most hosting services offer so much now at such low prices.

Also, another question---- is there any real difference other then support by choosing a reseller or a actual hosting company , like lets say hostrocket?

Thanks,
    Bobby

An actual hosting company - do you mean one that owns it's own servers?

If so, the difference between an "actual" host and a "reseller" would be found in the level of support they could provide, the speed of the support, and simply the professionalism of service.

Most "resellers" you'll find are probably high-school students working out of their bedrooms.

You'll find another difference that "resellers" tend to be less stable than actual hosts.

When something goes wrong with the server - the resellers need to report it to their "actual host", whereas the actual host can fix it themselves. (Speed in getting your issue resolved)

Again, it all depends on how the company runs. Some "resellers" are actually pretty good - sometimes being equal or even better than "actual hosts".

Hey,

thanks for the 411.

I think I'm going to choose hostgator since im a rush to find a good host by this evening.

I e-mailed them about perl modules and they said they can have it up and running in 15 minutes after I request installation.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Bobby

* HostGator

Quote Originally Posted by b0bby08
    Hey,

thanks for the 411.

I think I'm going to choose hostgator since im a rush to find a good host by this evening.

I e-mailed them about perl modules and they said they can have it up and running in 15 minutes after I request installation.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Bobby
    Free or for a fee?

Gene

Probably they are going to do it for free.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore