Avoid 1&1 Internet

I do not post against a company unless it is relly bad. I have been hounded by 1&1 Internet for 3 years since I cancelled my services with them. I paid in advance, tried their tools, cancelled and moved on.

Since 2003 they have hit my credit card for annual dues, and when I called to complain they did not return my phone messages and directed me to their online system which forced me to log in, I lost my info, etc. My credit report has been affected 2 years in a row for an alleged $97.84 invoice that they could not collect both years. I have called, complained and threatened them. Finally I paid 2004 to avoid credit damage. They agreed in an email to me that the 2005 invoice would be cancelled. Fine.

I just received a collection call from Pennsylvaia today looking for $97.84. Too much hassle. I would advise everyone to stay clear of this company. Their ads are huge, but their customer service and dispute resolution attitudes are terrible. The guy from PA told me today that they already hit my credit report.

Beware 1&1.

Ouch, sorry to hear your experiences with 1&1.

How could they get away doing that though? Can't you contact them directly - and speak to someone real?

Have you tried emailing them and asking about it?

If you've cancelled services with them - they shouldn't be able to charge you for anything. File a complaint with your credit card company - and the BBB.

why didnt you just contact your credit card company and ask them to stop the payment to 1&1? i use them for one of my domains and i have had no problems with them...yet lol

Quote Originally Posted by VDRS Host
    why didnt you just contact your credit card company and ask them to stop the payment to 1&1? i use them for one of my domains and i have had no problems with them...yet lol
    The problem doesn't seem to be that 1&1 is charging his credit card - OP probably did that already.

It's that 1&1 is sending claims to collection agencies for the 90 and change dollars from the OP - and since the OP cancelled, he isn't going to pay - thus crippling his credit report.

Im going thru exactly what you are.
    They are billing me $60 for hosting i cancelled months ago.

They are a shameless company that should be shot in the street like the rats they are.

Quote Originally Posted by viclopez
    Im going thru exactly what you are.
    They are billing me $60 for hosting i cancelled months ago.

They are a shameless company that should be shot in the street like the rats they are.
    What bothers me is - how can they do that? Isn't there some form of consumer protection in place? Can't you file a complaint against them?

Nightmare senario but I'd still never pay someone money they weren't due, even if it did affect my credit report. If they carry on doing that to you and further down the line it goes to court you can't defend that you paid them
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

i normally stay away from long advance payments as there is always an issue afterward
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

WOW Epact, i'm truely sorry to hear about your misfortune with 1&1. This kind of service and after-care shouldn't be tolerated at all. Perhaps you can call the BBB as mentioned, and also call the Credit Agencies that are after you and explain the frauded charges to your account.

Best Regards,

-ShaunP

If I recall correctly, all a collection agency will do is call you and pretty much harass you for the money. If you do not give them the money, some of them will get a court date set.. If you do not show up to court, THEN your credit gets affected. I would recommend that you ignore them until they get a court date.. go to court and explain your case... If what you said was true, and you have some evidence, you will be fine.

Edit: You could also place a counterclaim for the extra money that they harassed you into paying them.

Quote Originally Posted by FR-Alex
    If I recall correctly, all a collection agency will do is call you and pretty much harass you for the money. If you do not give them the money, some of them will get a court date set.. If you do not show up to court, THEN your credit gets affected. I would recommend that you ignore them until they get a court date.. go to court and explain your case... If what you said was true, and you have some evidence, you will be fine.

Edit: You could also place a counterclaim for the extra money that they harassed you into paying them.
    Brilliant idea! Just dispute the claim, and you should be fine! The of course as mentioned, counter sue! - Yay for america! lol

-Shaun

Thanks for this post! Just helped me scratch off one hosting company

Question is, where would the process take place? In the OP's city? Small chances. So, isn't the OP's time worth anything? Not to mention he'd have to spend money in order to get there and maybe get a lawyer etc. This is no easy feat. I don't know how the US system works, but isn't there any place (guvernmental or nongovernmental organisation) he can complain about this? Customers do have some rights where I live, and things like this don't always have to end up in court. The court is really the last resort.

The main problem I see here is that this issue is occuring for a second time. All systems have errors, but to have a serious problem like this repeat like it did for the OP, this is just too much.

Epact, for review validation purposes, can you share a domain that you hosted with 1and1? If you don't want to make it public, you can just send it to the moderating team via http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=4187771. Thank you and good luck!
    Last edited by ldcdc; 10-31-2006 at 07:35 PM.

The best thing to do when buying hosting use paypal, much safer.

1&1 just made my "avoid like the plague" list, thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Tdothost
    preach it !! I agree completely and this is a rule I now live by

Yes, I would never pay in advance, Paypal is the way to go!

I have used 1and1 for several years without any problems. I've registered lots of domains, and private registration is included for the $5.99 registration fee. I've had to call them a few times, got to speak with a person, and had the problem resolved. The downside of 1and1? Slow server response time for the low end plans, but the pricing is hard to beat:

for $5 a month:
    2 domain names
    100 GB web space
    1,000 e-mail accounts
    1,000 GB traffic
    unlimited domains

For my minimal needs (much more modest that the typical WHT poster!)- some low volume web sites and uploading encryted files for backup, 1and1 is just fine! Sorry to hear about your problems.

I assume they sent notice to an e-mail address that you no longer use?

this is my review of them

I have been with them for a while now on there dedicated servers they are very fast very good but they took it down inuder 10days

Well I joined 1and1 about 2 – 10days ago and the server was very fast I think it was on 100mbp connection with 100mbit of bandwidth it was what I was looking for a servers to host a couple accounts a game server and couple of Shout casts to make a bit of money it was running fine they never had downtime in till I found out today that the site would not load up and obviously it was down contacted them Via email they never replied back to my email contacted them by phone once and still they hanged right up when I said my account number What have I dune it doesn’t really make sense hmm I think to myself I have picked a rubbish host they took my money I paid over £120 for it I might make a claim with it from my bank this is horrible, I have not done anything at all please can someone explain to me why this has happened it was a great server – the only problems I had with it was the PHP file and this downtime!

Anyways please tell me what I have done wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayer1960
    contacted them by phone once and still they hanged right up when I said my account number
    They actually hung up on you? Did you try calling back, talking to a manager?

nope didn't do nothink else ive emailed them about 20 old times but no awnser there system sucks

Thanks for the info. I've been reading reviews about them for about an hour, and I even almost signed up with them, but not after reading what happened to you guys. It's sad to see businesses get away with things of this nature.

Quote Originally Posted by mochafd View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've been reading reviews about them for about an hour, and I even almost signed up with them, but not after reading what happened to you guys. It's sad to see businesses get away with things of this nature.
    It's each to their own though mochafd. Every provider will have bad stories at some point in their life!
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

You should also write to RipOffReport.com.

1&1 are to expensive anyway i wouldnt go near it

From what I've seen, their packages are cheap, and their control panel looked good. Most of their reviews are about bad support, and my website needs are minimal at best, so I was actually going to overlook this and try them for myself.

This review was the clencher for me. I simply can't go with a company where in the back of my mind have to wonder if they may or may not charge me after cancelling.

AIT is another one that doesn't honor cancellations, and goes after you for a loooooooong time trying to get money from you... been there/done that, myself ......... AVOID AIT!!!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

They also have extremely short server execution times. It's not even possible to update phpBB through its own system.

Cramesta, are you speaking of 1&1? I am just asking to clarify seeing as how I interjected with a different provider... sorry 'bout that.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Cramesta, are you speaking of 1&1? I am just asking to clarify seeing as how I interjected with a different provider... sorry 'bout that.

Bailey
    Yeah, I'm talking about 1&1.

I had a great time with 1&1 for 2 years, till it came to moving my personal hosting to hostgator, then it got messy.

They decided that they would remove all my mysql DB's as soon as i called saying id be leaving thier services next month, this was before i even cancelled my account!

after loosing a 2 year gaming community they then decided that my verbal notice on the phone was enough to clear my FTP.

After giving them a call and asking WTF was going on, they let me know that they were taking inititive of clearing my account for the next customer,

loss and damages claim sorted those fools out however.

@ hostnoodle_com: your story is a good reason to always hook up your alternative hosting provider first, transfer all your data across and THEN call/email to cancel.

You just can't trust some of these companies to be "nice" to you, or to use an ounce of common-sense to know that when you said "cancel me next month", you didn't mean "do it right away!"

Love em. Had three accounts over two years... I've opened, canceled and downgraded / upgraded... all with great hosting and no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdothost1 View Post
    Yes exactly. We've heard so many different problems with CC payment. For paying your hosting fee, PayPal is a much better choice.

Wow... I wouldn't think a company would be able to get away with something like this.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/