Question Considering colocation with Rackmounted. Any experiences?

Hi Everyone!

Well, I have a client who needs to get a dedicated Server, so we have decided to purchase the brand new Quad Core XServe from Apple.

The last couple of days I have spent looking for a good CoLocation facility to host the XServe.
    I stumbled upon rackmounted.com today, and am strongly considering doing the colocation hosting with them.
    They are offering 8IPs, 500GB Bandwidth per month at $55 for one outlet, or $80 per month for two... which, if I'm not mistaken, will be needed to run the XServe as a load-balanced server.

So my question is, does anybody here have any experience with rackmounted.com, or have you heard anything about them?

Also, if anybody knows of a good colocation hosting provider, I'm still looking around, since the XServe does not ship until middle of November, I don't have to decide on a host until then.

Thanks in advance!
    - Highway of Life

talk with colo4dallas.com or zogmo.com they both are the best
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Do you know how many amps your XServe config will draw?

Most co-lo providers make some sort of assumption about power use; and charge you extra each month if your server exceeds a certain number of amps. For some reason, I was left with the impression that the XServe is fairly power hungry.

That could influence your monthly fixed costs of co-lo; and therefor your choice of provider.

I'm interested in the XServe, myself, for a project next year. But the sticker shock and my ignorance about the power issue currently have me leaning towards a beige box.

Quote Originally Posted by brian24294
    my ignorance about the power issue currently have me leaning towards a beige box.
    Ignorance usually has a very simple solution. Just ask Apple what the power consumption is... I'm sure they'll be glad to give you a normal and maximum consumption rating.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2
    talk with colo4dallas.com or zogmo.com they both are the best

I second Zogmo. They have been absolutely great to our company.

Well, now I'm REALLY torn...
    I've been on the phone all day with wehostmacs.com
    They do 100GB Mo for $75
    And he was very VERY helpful.

Here is a few bits of knowledge.
    If you have not placed your order with apple yet, make SURE you get the SAS 15k Hard Drive(s).
    Jeff @ WeHostMacs said he disliked the XServe G5s (and any before) because they were using the ATA and SATA Hard Drives.
    Which he said are good for 8hrs a day, no more, no less...
    They are not made to handle being on 24/7
    BUT they are good for really large files... so if you do large file downloads, streaming audio or video, an SATA is fine.
    But Jeff said they have a really high failure rate, 50% for one of their clients.
    So he has always built his own servers with the SAS drives, but after I told him the New XServes have the option of SAS drives, he freaked out!
    He said he will most likely purchase the new XServes to use as his primary drives now that they have the SAS option.
    He was very much disappointed that apple was not touting the SAS option, but said he would trust one SAS drive over two SATA's running mirrored.

He also said buy your RAM and Hard Drives from another location other than Apple, since Apple has a very high markup on those items.
    Also, when you go with your RAM, it's best to get it in Groups of four, i.e. 4x512MB, or 4x1GB etc.. because then you can take full advantage of the 256-bit wide memory architecture and provide maximum memory performance.
    So get your memory in groups of four (or eight if you need that much).

The XServe uses 650 watts... and ~5 Amps.
    Both Colo facilities it only needs one outlet, so $55 at the one place and $75 at the other.

is 500GB all you need? rackmounted.com says on their site they charge $1/GB overage...that can get pretty hefty if your using a lot of bandwidth...

Check on the warranty if you buy parts from someone other than Apple -- I believe that's why people (especially major institutions) tolerate the markup.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway of Life
    The XServe uses 650 watts... and ~5 Amps.
    Both Colo facilities it only needs one outlet, so $55 at the one place and $75 at the other.
    The power consumption might pose a problem for you, as that is extremely high, and many colo providers may not allow you to use that much power, or they'll charge extra for it. In many places, the power alone will cost the provider $75+/month. In one of the New York locations that we use, the power to run a 5A server would cost over $200/month. Also keep in mind that if a provider is provisioning their racks with about 30A per rack, you're basically tieing up 1/6th of the rackspace just for one server.

Is that really the average power consumption, or is it just a maximum?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Sorry guys... somehow the system did not send email notification requests.

Anyways... yes, well they (Rackmounted) has options for higher Bandwidth, where you don't pay the overage.
    The other host does not offer as much initial Bandwidth, but costs less to go over, and if it looks like you are going to go over, you can switch plans mid-month... anyways, both companies appear flexible if we need more bandwidth.

Both companies host many XServes, and the price quoted above is the price to host the XServe on the power consumption listed.
    I'm no power expert, but both companies (and actually, many others I talk to as well that host XServes) did not appear concerned in the LEAST with the power consumption of the Silver Beast.
    Though because of this topic, I did make it a point to grill each company on that, and I was still met with the same positive response.