MediaTemple's GridServer: Bait & Switch Warning

Hello folks,

Just want to let people know that MediaTemple is attempting to shortchange all its Shared Server customers by switching them to the GridServer Lite, and therefore losing half the bandwidth allotment.

Shared Server --> 1TB

Grid Server "Lite" for former Shared Server users: ---> 512GB

If you are a former Shared Server client now with the Grid Lite Server, consider opening a support ticket and claim what is rightfully yours, don't let them unilaterally change the hosting contract, even if you don't use that amount.

Kinda confused, I was under impression that making the switch was entirely optional. If I'm wrong sorry, if I'm not how is this bait and switch again?

The "bait" is to state that your plan will have 1TB with no resource limits, and then switch you to the GridServer (in my case they switched me as a response to a support ticket when the GridServer was not yet released) and then you get half of the bandwidth promised and the resources are "pay as you go" with the GPU units or whatever it's called. That's a breach of contract, promising 1000GB and giving you 512GB

Quote Originally Posted by Cripto
    The "bait" is to state that your plan will have 1TB with no resource limits
    All shared plans have resource limits; the problem is you never know what the limits are until you hit them. Did you seriously think that on the old plan you'd be able to use as much cpu and memory as you wanted? If so, read the AUP you signed up to.

The GPU model is a step in the right direction - towards defining resource usage in the same way as disk space and transfer. Still meaningless though until MT can define what a GPU can do and what it will cost.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Common guys, who really takes a host seriously that says you get 1 TB of bandwith? I highly doubt they are going to pay the 10's of thousands of dollars per month that it costs to get 1 TB of bandwith from any main stream provider.

Have a look here.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/chartbusiness.htm

Do you really think you will get that for like $6.95 per month? LOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
    Common guys, who really takes a host seriously that says you get 1 TB of bandwith? I highly doubt they are going to pay the 10's of thousands of dollars per month that it costs to get 1 TB of bandwith from any main stream provider.
    You're exaggerating quite a bit. Even at $1 per gig (which I think is high) you would be paying $1000 not 10's of thousands.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/chartbusiness.htm << Have a look for yourself sir.

JVS, do you understand the difference between the use of the term "bandwidth" in the strict sense (data transfer rate, bits per second) vs the common usage in hosting (monthly data transfer)?

It's hard to imagine that anyone here is talking about 1 terabit per second connections (or even, since it was "1TB" 1 tera-byte connections!). And if you could find one I don't think it would be in the "10's of thousands of dollars per month" price bracket either...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I know what bandwith means sir, however the more bandwith your require, the bigger/faster connection follows suite, thus the faster the connection, the more you have to pay. Think of bandwith in an easy way;

A regular garden hose will only spray a certain amount of water at full blast, however if you require more water, you must get a "fatter" hose. Same goes for bandwith Transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
    I know what bandwith means sir, however the more bandwith your require, the bigger/faster connection follows suite, thus the faster the connection, the more you have to pay. Think of bandwith in an easy way;

A regular garden hose will only spray a certain amount of water at full blast, however if you require more water, you must get a "fatter" hose. Same goes for bandwith Transfer.
    First off, it's bandwidth. I recommend you change that on your site as well, especially since you have so much knowledge about it.

Second, even if the "hose" is huge, it's still only going to produce the amount of water that the nozzle can handle.

(in my case they switched me as a response to a support ticket when the GridServer was not yet released)
    So ask them to switch you back if you didn't ask for a move. Also, I guess it can be argued that when/if you did ask for a move, the details of the deal were not yet specified. If they changed the limit to 1Gb of data transfer, the principle would be the same, and you couldn't possibly accept that as a fair deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    First off, it's bandwidth. I recommend you change that on your site as well, especially since you have so much knowledge about it.

Second, even if the "hose" is huge, it's still only going to produce the amount of water that the nozzle can handle.
    haha! Come on now we are talking about transit right? Steve that was a very good way of putting it

For the OP, I agree with Dan, if you didn't ask to be moved, you shouldn't have been moved, plan and simple really. Why they would do that to their customers is beyond me. However, if you asked very very nicely they may move you back.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve

the "GridServer" hose is really small, I was using a monstrous corporate connection and I could only get 500KB/s downloading a file from this "Gridserver"... I was getting 1600KB/s download speed from a normal shared Dreamhost account, same file.

Also, Media temple's "GridServer" is NOT redundant, goes down rather often and the MySQL database is CONSTANTLY being unavailable, "too many connections" (where's the redundancy?), "network unavailable", all kinds of error messages. FTP is equally unreliable, you get mini outages at least three per hour.

And they are pretty cheeky first luring you to pay for an entire year in advance promising 1,000 MB of transfer a month, then switching you to a new technology and giving you only 512 MB and not even bothering to inform you... also, the GPU system of charging by usage was not included in the original plan I signed for. They are not respecting the original contract.... and "support" is slow with the tickets, and on the phone you get someone that simply listens to you and does nothing. Stay away if you plan to host a production site. Maybe if you are playing or experimenting, etc. not for serious sites.
    I'd say forget about this alleged "GridServer", look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Cripto; 11-01-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Nooooooo! How could they even think of doing this to us? My $20 per month website uses 800 GB of bandwidth every month. They are going to be screwing me over!

So they switched you without your permission, or you requested it? I'm not real clear on that. If you requested it, were there new terms to read for that grid thing, or did they just tell you, ok, here you go, good luck?

Quote Originally Posted by americantechie
    Nooooooo! How could they even think of doing this to us? My $20 per month website uses 800 GB of bandwidth every month. They are going to be screwing me over!
    Actually, when you take it all into perspective they are normalizing their rates with true market conditions. If anything you were taking advantage of them by getting that deal. I get that you have to pay more but surely you knew from the start it would happen at some point.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Come on guys, I was being sarcastic. There is no way my website is using 800 Gigs of bandwidth. Not unless I am running something like a download site. If I had a site that was using 800 GB then I would probably be running a business off it and I wouldn't trust the site to a $20 hosting account.