Having More Than One Register

HERE ARE QUESTIONs:
    1. Anybody have more than one Register for your Domains?
    2. Is this a good idea to consider?
    3. How many (do you, would you) have?

Looking forward to your Feedback.
    The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Well I only own a handful of domains, but because of the problems I experienced recently I picked two different registrars to move to. I figured if one turned out to be dodgy I'd move to the other one.
    Once mine are set up I don't expect to do anything to them for years so I don't think it makes any difference at all.

It's difficult to maintain all your domains with just 1 single register [sic] ... or registRAR, esp. when you also buy pre-owned/second-hand domains.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave
    It's difficult to maintain all your domains with just 1 single register [sic] ... or registRAR, esp. when you also buy pre-owned/second-hand domains.
    Can you explain what you mean by that? I always supposed it's more convenient to have just one registrar with quality support.

When you purchased a "used" domain, chances are it's registered with a registrar other than your own choice. Of course, you could always initiate a registrar transfer back, but then it would add unnecessary cost (esp. when it's not that close to expiry) or you may need to wait through some registrar-level BS no-transfer lock (with e.g. GoDaddy). So it's very difficult to keep all your domains just in one place.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Thanx, cllear, but what if the registrar of the "used" domain sucks in terms of safety and support?

Hello Again!

Here is a question:
    Are there some Register Companies that process Transfers and New Domains faster than others?

Also, What is the fastest time you have ever had for a Domain Transfer?
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

I would pick one reliable registrar you prefer and put all your domains there. It's just easier than way.
    Signature Under Construction.

I use three registrar and it works best for me

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    I would pick one reliable registrar you prefer and put all your domains there. It's just easier than way.
    Stu, you know quite well that this is next to impossible in this business...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

The Latest:

I am with BulkRegister/eNom at this time.

However, after looking around I have joined the Reseller Programs for StarGate and SRSPlus.

Since the merge of BulkRegister into eNom I do not like the payment policy. I pay via Credit Card and they require a 3% Fee to put my money into a holding fund to draw payment from.

StarGate and SRSPlus have the same fund arrangement but do not charge you a fee. Plus their prices are much better.

StarGate has a $5.95 transfer rate for one year with a $6.95 renewal. I'd have to layout alot of cash to BulkRegister/eNom for that price. Plus as a member of WHTForum there is a deal where you do not need to deposit funds in order to get started. Sweet deal!

SRSPlus has a flat $7.95 rate. Upfront deposit of $250, but this can reduce down and even have an automatic refill option. They have other renewal features without any surcharge fees. Also they have some features that StarGate does not have.

So I will Divide my Domains and Clients between StarGate and SRSPlus and over the next few months transfer them away from BulkRegister/eNom.

One thing I have learned is that when one company is purchased by another it is time to look around and not get caught after the transfer of ownership. I think that in general the clients of the purchased company loose in the deal.

Part of this is my own fault though, I should have been looking around for a cheaper Reseller Registar long ago. I must say that BulkRegister did have good support even though their price was high at $12.00/year. My problem is that I started out with a few Domains and over the past year I added on a lot more.

A Good Problem! :-)
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    Stu, you know quite well that this is next to impossible in this business...
    Well if you are simply registering domains, then I'd stick with one registrar and not split the registrations across registrars. If you are buying existing domains, then it's next to impossible in the short run, but I'd still maintain that you should consolidate domains with 1 registrar in the long term.

I have accounts with between 40-50 registrars/resellers. I have about 10 active accounts with domains in them. I have only three main registrars where 98% of my domains are registered. I'm constantly consolidating the domains to only 1 registrar. Next to impossible, yes. Possible, yes

Some registrars are better for the esoteric tlds than others. For example, eNom are not competitively priced once you get out of .com/.net/.org arena
    Last edited by stub; 11-01-2006 at 09:21 PM.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland
    Since the merge of BulkRegister into eNom I do not like the payment policy. I pay via Credit Card and they require a 3% Fee to put my money into a holding fund to draw payment from.
    3% were deducted from all paypal/cc payments as long as I have an account with them. Merge has nothing to do with this.

3% were deducted from all paypal/cc payments as long as I have an account with them. Merge has nothing to do with this.

Stan,

Under the old BulkRegister billing I had my Credit Card on file and it was a "pay-as-you-go" Renewals and New Domains would be charged to my Credit Card. The operation was smooth and my domains were always active within minutes.

I could register a domain,,go to my server and park the domain,,,and it was active right away. By the time I got that done my Credit Card was charged and I had a confirmation e-mail. The whole process took less than 15 minutes...

This new policy is a eNom policy not the old BulkRegister policy.
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

yes they charge 3% for card and paypal. free for check

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland
    Stan,

Under the old BulkRegister billing I had my Credit Card on file and it was a "pay-as-you-go" Renewals and New Domains would be charged to my Credit Card. The operation was smooth and my domains were always active within minutes.

I could register a domain,,go to my server and park the domain,,,and it was active right away. By the time I got that done my Credit Card was charged and I had a confirmation e-mail. The whole process took less than 15 minutes...

This new policy is a eNom policy not the old BulkRegister policy.
    I had in mind eNom... Sorry for the confusion.