Raid solutions for vps

Hi

i want but the following server

Dell PowerEdge 2950, 8gb ram, HD sata 250Gb 15k or 300gb 10k

or

Dell PowerEdge 6850, 8gb ram, HD Sata 250Gb 15k or 300gb 10k

what Raid solution can i use? i have read that a lot of ppls use Raid 10, how about raid 1 and 5?

thanks

How many disks will you have as that will effect the answer
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

i can use 8 hd on the server

6850 can use scsi fyi
    || Josh Anderson - CVO A&M Hosting
    || A&M Hosting | Virtual Private Servers
    || US | UK
    || No overselling guaranteed

yes i know, but i want know what Raid i need to use, raid 1 5 or 10?

sata is also not available in 15k edition, so maybe he is mistakenly writing scsi as sata.

IMHO, if you want to use RAID1, raid in software is allright. If you want to use RAID5, you can try the 3ware cards, I heard quite some good things about it. Also, SATA is always cheaper, and nowadays, with SATA2, you have same performances (if not better) than with SCSI.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Hello, If you want a high performance go for RAID10, If you want redundancy go for RAID1, and forget RAID5 its the least performing RAID, only a better solution then JDOB it will hinder all IO performance.

RAID10 is best bet IMHO since VPS node means lots of people are going to use it for their heavy stuff.

That's why I was saying RAID5 is to be used in hardware. It takes a lot of CPU to calculate parity, and I would not do it in software. When in software, RAID0 doesn't take more CPU or I/O, and RAID1 takes only twice the I/O (but no more CPU).

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

If you split the storage away from your processor this will give you better performance.
    Vigabyte.com servers
    Email: sales@vigabyte.com
    Web: http://www.vigabyte.com