Thumbs down Who provides rock solid network (Fed up with softlayer network)

I am fed up with softlayer network problems. If I ping 10 times to server IP I get 20%-30% packet loss and lat problem is also there. They almost do network Maintenance every 4-6 days. Here is there on going schedule:
    30/10
    28/10
    26/10
    19/10
    16/10
    14/10
    WTF?

Do they really need so many network Maintenance? Whenever there is network Maintenance I get ping loss, dns problem?

Is there any stable network provider out there? All I need is basic P4+1/2GiG RAM box running Linux or FreeBSD and around 500GB per month but network should be stable enough. I am seriously considering EV1 because most of my competitor are with them and they are doing pretty well.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

ThePlanet? :p

But EV1 would work, as TP and EV1 are the same company.

So far this year, I've had 0 downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenne1212
    ThePlanet? :p

But EV1 would work, as TP and EV1 are the same company.

So far this year, I've had 0 downtime.
    Oh yea? 0 downtime? Lucky you

So far this year, I've had 2 machines get hosed because an incompetent planet NOC tech installed bad memory in my servers -- AT THE SAME TIME. 1 bad chip in each machine. It's like winning the lotto and getting hit by lightning on the way back from the 7-11 where you bought the ticket.

Needless to say, it was very very annoying, and my ear still hurts from being chewed out by customers. ThePlanet let me down on that one, and I'm still kind of mad, but they are trying to make it up to me, so I can't stay that mad, for that long anyway .

The crazy thing is, even with that issue happening, I still think they are the best around, if you can afford it.

-Sean

Bad luck huh?

I've had as many as 13 servers with them and their various server lines, and have only suffered a total of something like 15 minutes of downtime..over the course of 3 years.

Never had drives go bad or bad memory...yet
    *knocks on wood* :p

Bad luck huh?

I've had as many as 13 servers with them and their various server lines, and have only suffered a total of something like 15 minutes of downtime..over the course of 3 years.

Never had drives go bad or bad memory...yet
    *knocks on wood* :p
    Hey I still endorsed them, didn't I?

I know :p...just thought I'd throw in my other good luck lol

But now that i said all that, I'm probably gonna have some kind of catastrophic failure of one of my servers :x

I know :p...just thought I'd throw in my other good luck lol

But now that i said all that, I'm probably gonna have some kind of catastrophic failure of one of my servers :x
    Nah, I'm sure you'll be fine. What happend to us was most definately bad luck at the worst point. We had just launched our WHT campaign and were increasing capacity to meet the demand. It just slowed everything down -- sales, support, provisioning, etc.

What a way to start out on WHT, eh?

lol....well you made it this far lol....most companies get shot down on here pretty fast if something goes wrong.

But I think we're going off topic now lol...

Goku, just check out TP. lol

Quote Originally Posted by goku123
    I am fed up with softlayer network problems. If I ping 10 times to server IP I get 20%-30% packet loss and lat problem is also there. They almost do network Maintenance every 4-6 days. Here is there on going schedule:
    30/10
    28/10
    26/10
    19/10
    16/10
    14/10
    WTF?

Do they really need so many network Maintenance? Whenever there is network Maintenance I get ping loss, dns problem?

Is there any stable network provider out there? All I need is basic P4+1/2GiG RAM box running Linux or FreeBSD and around 500GB per month but network should be stable enough. I am seriously considering EV1 because most of my competitor are with them and they are doing pretty well.
    EV1 has been doing servers for a long time, and while I haven't used their services, there have been many ppl who are happy with them. The one person I know who switched from them, ended up switching to TP due to pricing... and since they're the same now...
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

what type of management? location? budget? With more information, we can provide an appropriate solution.

Location TX
    Around $150-175
    P4/AMD 1GB - 2GB RAM

But most important I need stable network w/o any problem 99.5% uptime and no packet loss.

I am having problem since morning and they have not replied my ticket yet. Enough is enough I can't take it anymore.

I am looking at Super Server 3+ @ SM. Is it P4 system? I have also noticed some special pricing at EV1. But I am open to all other option. Please give me other options.

You may consider steadfast in Chicago. Or LT in TX as well.

TMS is running an offer in the offer thread, they are in ThePlanet, perhaps they are a good choice too.

Can you give me URL for TMS?

Super Servers are P4's.

If you want to ask some more questions about the servers, check out

forums.theplanet.com

They can help you more their with the specific products, or shoot sales a email.

Goku if you are looking for TX location only than put your money on planet.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, High Bandwidth Servers
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

If you can venture out of TX, consider someone on PEER1's network as they have been having 100% uptime and we personally haven't noticed any downtime or ping/latency issues for more than a year now.
    :: TIMESWAY NETWORK :: Reliable . Powerful . Hosting ::
    :: At Timesway, Top Quality and Top Reliability won't cost you Top Dollar.
    :: Celebrating our 7th Anniversary : Check our Special Offers on Dedicated Servers!

Just ordered 6 softlayer servers this month. They've all been doing great. Have been using a consistent 1mbp/s on each server with no hiccups.

Have also had great results with EV1. Never any downtime until recently, after they merged with theplanet, when had almost 4 hours of network downtime on most servers.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Mark,

You are one lucky guy.

I am thinking about Steadfast.net as well as try to find out someone on PEER1's network.

Even my DSL service provider is more stable and it goes down once or twice in a year and never had any packet loss. This is first time I facing packet loss issue.

Right now I am looking PEER1's @ http://www.dedicatedhosting.com/hosting/index.php

That is weird that we both have had different results. Do they have more than one data center? We only ordered the first server on 10/05, and after seeing the hardware and network perform well, ordered 5 more. Still smooth. I hope that it stays that way.

I forgot to mention that the 4 hours of downtime we had from EV1 recently was in a row. They were seriously offline for 4 hours, which is crazy. I remember when they had a fire and our servers still stayed up. Then once they merged with theplanet, bam, unreliable. Coincidence?

Oddly, my history with theplanet itself has been fair. Have some servers there too. Although they don't perform as well network wise, I don't remember any downtime. I suspect that their DoS protection lags network traffic.

Anyway, let us know if you find something better.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

I've had a sandbox (p4 Superserver) at theplanet for about 2 years without any major issues. I would recommend them based on your budget requirements.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters