hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Need Info about I hosting!

Forum Jump

Need Info about I hosting!

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Exclamation

Need Info about I hosting!

Hi I just recently bought a server. I need steps to make my server work as a webhost. But Here are the details of my server and internet connection.

3.0Ghz Intel P4
1GB DDR RAM
2TB Hard Drive
No OS (Which is choose?)

Internet is 6MB Speed Download, but I don't know about the upstream. I got Cable. Comcast Internet.

So how can I make my server work?

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

ffs

Just lost about 10 minutes worth of typing *grrrrrrr* damn kb!

Anyway. long story short, host a domain just for you using MS 2k3. Install IIS, open ports 80, 25 & 110 and have a play. You'll see the difference between what you are running and what purpose built servers are running very quickly. You won't want to provide hosting to companies on it after that!

GL

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Everything depends on what software you want to install and the type of websites which you'll host.

You should install an OS which is also compatible with the control panel you plan to use. Then you should install Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, etc. - everything depends on the requirements of the website(s).

I assume you're running the server at home. A 6Mb connection is not enough for a server unless you'll only host a small website. This is not recommended if you plan to jump in the web hosting business, please search for similar threads if you want to know the reason why it won't work. You should send the server in a data center.

NEW:
Pure SSD Hosting and CloudFlare Railgun™

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

If Comcast is like TimeWarner you probably have less than 500 K upload speed, which is what those accessing your server would see. Not good. Also, Comcast probably blocks port 80 for incoming requests to prevent users from running web servers from home. But like SH-giles said, install Win2K and IIS. In fact, Win2K Professional with Personal Web Server will do. See how effective it is or if it even works.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
CW3 Web Hosting Listing 2014-10-21 08:44:19
CW3 Web Hosting Listing 2014-10-21 08:46:36
Nutty About Hosting Listing 2014-10-21 08:46:31
Book Your Spot in the WHIR's 6th Annual Hottest Hosts Directory Before it's Too Late! Blog 2014-01-10 12:31:05
Jelastic PaaS Moves into the Netherlands with Info.nl Partnership Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:22:27