Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Hosting

Yahoo Hosting

Is it me or is Y! Hosting really that slow? I have a relatively big website [260 pages] and now I'm thinking about implementing Joomla. I bought their Starter Package back in March '06 and since August I'm having problems every now and then. My site doesn't just go down, it's just SLOW. Is it my package, Y! or other problem?

It not you, it them, They over sell server so much, that much space on server and Server resource. I would suggest you to move to different host, even if you go next package it not going to help much.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

What is the site you have hosted with Yahoo? I could help and see what exactly is wrong with your site - before actually pointing fingers at Yahoo.

Yahoo oversells just like the other giants.... we see this all the time. most likely this is your issue.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Is it my package, Y! or other problem?
    It can very well be your ISP. Have other from other parts of the world check how fast your pages load.

http://www.alertra.com/spotcheck.htm

Watch the page loading times and speed. Works best with a decent size page (eg 200 - 300k).

Thanks for the reply, guys.
    What is the site you have hosted with Yahoo?
    I wouldn't want to put my website here, because, [no offense] even though I know most of the people at these forums are good, you should always be careful.
    over sell server
    What does this mean?
    even if you go next package it not going to help much
    I thought so, but thank you for clarifiyng.
    It can very well be your ISP
    Mine is Verizon.
    Have other from other parts of the world check how fast your pages load
    I think it's going to be pain, but I'll try.
    Watch the page loading times and speed
    I don't get this part. It's loading pretty fast. Am I supposed to sign up for the service?

No, go to http://www.alertra.com/spotcheck.htm

On the top right corner, you'll see a field saying "Enter URL" and a button saying "Check"
    Enter the domain of the host that you may want to test (or to your site at yahoo) and aletra is going to "test" the speed from 6 differents locations around the world
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Time (US/Eastern) Checked From Result KBytes Secs Kbps
    10/30/2006 23:08:55 Chicago USA OK 2.2 0.47 38.13
    10/30/2006 23:08:55 Orlando USA OK 2.2 0.48 37.12
    10/30/2006 23:08:55 Atlanta USA OK 2.2 0.48 36.74
    10/30/2006 23:08:55 Frankfurt GERMANY OK 2.2 0.47 37.59
    10/30/2006 23:08:55 London UK OK 2.2 0.73 24.44
    10/30/2006 23:08:55 Oklahoma City USA OK 2.2 0.90 19.81
    Great!!! WTF IS ALL THIS?!
    Now this is where Joomla is:
    Time (US/Eastern) Checked From Result KBytes Secs Kbps
    10/30/2006 23:14:42 Atlanta USA OK 16.2 1.71 77.84
    10/30/2006 23:14:42 Chicago USA OK 16.0 1.71 76.75
    10/30/2006 23:14:43 Orlando USA OK 16.0 2.87 45.84
    10/30/2006 23:14:43 Frankfurt GERMANY OK 16.1 2.97 44.44
    10/30/2006 23:14:43 London UK OK 16.2 2.19 60.57
    10/30/2006 23:14:42 Oklahoma City USA OK 16.2 2.17 61.23
    Last edited by Willdex; 10-31-2006 at 12:15 AM.

Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Ummm, o..k..
    So, I got the "The results include a timestamp for the check, the location checked from, the result of the check, amount of data received in kilobytes (KBytes), the response time in seconds (Secs), and the transfer rate in kilobits per second (Kbps)" part. What I saw was that Joomla's part of the site takes way longer than the other part, text mostly. Duh! However, what I don't understand is why it takes Yahoo's very graphical site only
    10.5 0.34 254.96
    10.5 0.75 113.65
    10.5 0.21 403.09
    10.5 5.05 16.96
    10.5 0.23 368.64
    10.5 1.34 64.15
    ...and mine
    16.2 1.71 77.84
    16.0 1.71 76.75
    16.0 2.87 45.84
    16.1 2.97 44.44
    16.2 2.19 60.57
    16.2 2.17 61.23

On your site
    16.2 is the kb size of the file tested
    1.71 is the time that it took to download it
    77.84 the Speed (taking in consideration the file size and the download time)

Got it. So, getting back to the topic...it's not the Y! problem, is it? It's mine/my ISP, isn't it?

Y! is a good search engine but it doesn't necessarily mean that their good at hosting. If its a basic site it wouldn't be a problem but if you are planning on implementing Joomla etc I would too suggest you to move to different host.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

I would too suggest you to move to different host
    Great...Any ideas?

Well, we could start with how much resources you would require - in terms of webspace and bandwdith (traffic) along with a rough budget.

Does your site require any sort of databases, php, asp, etc?

webspace: don't know exactly, about a gig for now.
    bandwidth: about 10 gigs...maybe
    rough budget: I pay Y! $12/mo. I guess the same will do...as long as it's fast and reliable.
    databases, php, asp, etc: my main concern is Joomla b/c my site will be a Joomla-based forum for students [it's a hell of a project and a real pain, but...hey, someone's gotta do it]. Joomla is a PHP itself.

You have enough money for a decent host (at least for so long as your site does not get too big). Do Search the comments on this site for any host that you consider. Don't go for another big host with massive standard plans.

hmm seems to load great for me... must be your isp bro
    Last edited by 2gigfree; 10-31-2006 at 06:29 AM.

looks good here too
    praise janet

praise janet
    What's that?
    Anyway, I'll start searching for a new host b/c the Y! hosting is just unbearable, pathetic and retard.

We have had MANY customers come from Yahoo and it's always the same thing... Slow and you are very restricted in what you can do
    AtlNetworks
    Performance Web Hosting
    http://www.atlnetworks.com

So, atlwebhosting, how is yours better?

Quote Originally Posted by atlwebhosting
    We have had MANY customers come from Yahoo and it's always the same thing... Slow and you are very restricted in what you can do
    Hmm, no personal attack nor flame intended, but other than obviously trying to make a sales pitch, how exactly is your site considered better?

None taken, we just take a lot of pride and value our customers. No customer is somply considered a number.. We make mistakes and recently we went througha large expansion which caused us to slack off on our support, however, we have changed that... We do not overload our systems, we are very careful about this...
    AtlNetworks
    Performance Web Hosting
    http://www.atlnetworks.com

Yahoo hosting and domain service is by far one of the worst on speed and performance as well as customer service. DONT EVER DO DOMAINS WITH THEM! I lost a few of mine!

Take a look at asmallorange.com.

Yahoo hosting and domain service is by far one of the worst on speed and performance as well as customer service. DONT EVER DO DOMAINS WITH THEM! I lost a few of mine!
    Hear, hear!!!

Yahoo Domains...

How EXACTLY did you lose your domains from Yahoo? I just registered one throught then that I had been waiting years for !

Well - for one - you can't make them name servers without going through yahoo and countless emails. next - they walked me through a procedure that ultimately caused them to be canceled and then tried to walk me through how to retrieve them - but to this day - unsuccessful. They literally are the worst. Well - in my experience they are.

Yahoo

(note: I am new at this and may be asking a stupid question. I'd take this off this forum and email Jerett directly but since i just signed up i dont have priveleges to figure out how to email members)

Jerett, you cant make *what* name servers? I am planning on having someone else host the domain I purchased via Yahoo, once I purchase that space, is it *that* difficult via Yahoo to get my domain pointed towards its new address?

Or were you talking about Yahoo's hosting?

If I'm not wrong Yahoo just resell domains from http://www.melbourneit.com.au/

Yahoo just resell domains from http://www.melbourneit.com.au/
    Are you sure about this?

Hmmm.. in a 99%

Edit: in a 100% now

(a) Yahoo! has chosen Internet Names Worldwide (a division of Melbourne IT Limited), or "INWW," an ICANN accredited registrar, to provide the Private Domain Registration features of the Service. With respect to all matters concerning the Private Domain Registration feature of the Service, you agree with all of the terms and conditions of the End User Agreement between you and INNW, which are located at the following link: http://www.melbourneit.com.au/policies/yahoo-gtld.php.
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/tos/tos.php

This becomes ridiculous. I gotta switch to probably Dreamhost Level 1 for now. I don't know what's up with the 97-day money-back guarantee, though...But, they do provide:
    24 hour Technical Support via E-Mail,
    Disk Storage at signup is 200 GB
    Automatically Increases Weekly By: 1 GB
    Monthly Bandwidth at signup 2 TB
    Automatically Increases Weekly By: 16 GB
    MySQL Databases Unlimited
    POP / SMTP Access [!!!]
    Free Domain WHOIS Privacy [Y! doesn't hide your name, btw]
    PHP4 Support
    Full CGI Access
    Passworded Directories [.htacces]
    WordPress, phpBB, Advanced Poll, ZenCart, MediaWiki, Joomla, Gallery, WebCalendar.....they look pretty good.

On the other hand, look at ******'s Pro:

100 GB of Web Space
    1000 GB (1TB) of Data Transfer/Month
    Host up to 7 Domains on 1 Account
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    Unlimited Web mail Accounts
    Unlimited MySQL Databases
    1-Year Money-Back Guarantee
    Free 24/7/365 Phone and Chat Support
    Free Setup
    Forever Free Domain
    Free DomainPrivacyGuard™
    Free GloBlog™
    Free ****** Photo Gallery
    Free GloBuild&#174;
    Free PromoPak™
    Free VideoEgg Software
    Free E-commerce
    SSL Included

Nothing about Joomla or any related products, though.

Don't search only based on price and space and bandwidth.

Are you really going to use 200 GB of space and 2000 GB of bandwidth?
    If not, then, way to pay for it?

I suggest to search reviews about both of them, hostsearch.com is a good place to start

Yahoo Hosting, unfortunately, too rigid and slow. I could not configure mysql databases except direct html pages. They do not have proper setups too.

For example, I bought domains in yahoo domains. I paid for my domain purchase. Later I got the starter package, and I paid full starter package. When I found the package is not working, I canceled after a month.

Now the problem : My domain is gone! No control panel feature from yahoo eventhough I paid money!! Poor Yahoo!!!

I took up with support guy and finally he gave auth_info and advised me to transfer my domains.

For me, yahoo hosting is the last options.
    Silicon
    jiltin.com

I don't know what's up with the 97-day money-back guarantee, though...
    It's available only for those paying by credit card. Other than that, I don't see any issue with it.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting-moneyback.html

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    It's available only for those paying by credit card. Other than that, I don't see any issue with it.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting-moneyback.html
    Yeah but the monthly fee thing is a marketing gimmick, you still have to pay a year or 2 years in advance to get those prices.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast