Unhappy fired an account today

Fired an account today for outright lieing to me.

first he told me he was 13, then 3 days later he told me he was going to be 18 in august.

he was 45 days past due and I was willing to help him out a bit more till atleast 60 days maybe even 90.

but he lied, and I caught him.

I don't feel so good, never in any of my careers did I ever enjoy firing clients. I think I will go to bed now.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

To bad Mike, shame that people will lie to save a bit of money on a hosting account Anyway, I think you did the right thing giving him the boot. If he lied about that he could have lied about other things. Think on the bright side you could have just stopped some spammer or warez guy from hosting with you
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

well no-one likes getting rid of customers. After all it's what pays the bills, but when they decide that paying for their account is something *other* people do, then it's time to poke that button marked trap door.

Simple economics. No pay, no play.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Lol.. i like that.. "Fired" an account.. hehe

Ok, back to the topic!

There seem to be plenty of clients that should not even be 'hired' lurking about.

There seem to be plenty of clients that should not even be 'hired' lurking about.

Isn't this the truth!
    Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

I have a potential solution for this - a sliding scale of payment based on how foolish their questions are.

Hello JohnDoe - lets calculate your account costs. 3 emails a week asking basic web development questions. 2 last week about POP before SMTP. 10 the week before when your repeated MySQL queries against an unindexed column in a table with 43,000 rows killed the server. Yes, lets see, your foolishIQ is 10 - right off the scale - your 100MB web hosting will cost 2,000$ per month!

Hi JaneSmith - your costs? Ah, no questions - please be our client at the special rate of 2$ a month.

Originally posted by mwatkins
    Hi JaneSmith - your costs? Ah, no questions - please be our client at the special rate of 2$ a month.
    ... provided that she sends in a photo and is approved by the "jury"

Liked that too btw:

Lol.. i like that.. "Fired" an account.. hehe
    Hehe account

Suck up who lie to get better hehe... j/k,alot of people do it nowadays.

10. You fired an account because he lied about his age?
    wow, that is very strict !!!
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Originally posted by [email protected]
    You fired an account because he lied about his age?
    wow, that is very strict !!!
    Yes. Lie about your age when you are asking me very specific questions, you would most likely lie about other things. Also because he owes us money he should have known not to lie.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Agreed, if they lie about age, and they owe you money, then the honesty to credit factor plummets. You don't get credit cards by signing the application "Donald Duck" ;-)

I think he was being generous since he did say the account was 45 days past due , most host wont even let you go more than 10-15 days over due before they cut your account off.
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Oh, sorry about that, I was replying to the wrong thread. I was wondering what happened to this reply...
    Last edited by mlip129; 06-20-2002 at 08:02 PM.

I am young and everytime i go with a hosting company i lie about my age saying i'm like 22 for example for the sole reason being that you get treated like rubbish and as if your credit cards stolen although it's not what you guys are really talking about but i just thought i should mention it.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Originally posted by ned patter
    I am young and everytime i go with a hosting company i lie about my age saying i'm like 22 for example for the sole reason being that you get treated like rubbish and as if your credit cards stolen although it's not what you guys are really talking about but i just thought i should mention it.
    Character is more important to me than the money issue. I prefer people that shoot straight with me. I had an e-commerce account that went 60 days just recently, and he was a 16 year old kid. he explained the problem. then I asked him would he be willing to take some business advice. He said yes. after looking over his books and doing some crunching I got him on a payment plan to his other vendors and to myself. explained to him how to do better collection. and helped him along on his marketing.

Not a bad kid, now doing 8K a month in automotive polished parts sales and is only 30 days past due with me. I figure he will be caught up by october.

again, I don't care about age, I care about the character of the client.

sidenote : he just sent me a picture of a 427 chevy big block, blueprinted, and polished to a mirror finish. never saw one so pritty.

mike

Ok but i have heard about other hosts that won't accept credit card payment from under 18's becouse of some credit card issues but then again if you's don't accept an under 18 year old then it's your loss but i would rather prefer the same choice of hosts that adults get..

Originally posted by ned patter
    Ok but i have heard about other hosts that won't accept credit card payment from under 18's becouse of some credit card issues
    I think that might be wrong. some host won't take the business from a client that is under 18 when there is a liability issue involved ( like for having resellers ) but otherwise I can not see this as a problem at all.

mike

We've had more than one account who's name on the creditcard suddenly becomes a different name when they e-mail support. From supporting them it's usually pretty obvious they've gotten permission to use their parent's creditcard. As long as the bills are paid we're happy with the arrangement.

However money coming in is what keeps our businesses alive. Without it you pretty much don't have a business at all. While I don't suggest pulling the plug on people the day they go past due there has to be a limit which you go to.

Character is more important to me than the money issue. I prefer people that shoot straight with me.
    Very well said. Having a relationship with your customers, and them with you is very important. They have a much better chance of going past due and staying online if they've been paying well for the previous 6 months. If it's the first time they've been charged again and their card fails then you have to take precautions. Fraud checking is hardly an exact science after all.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

You should have just cancelled his account after he decided not to pay for 30 days.

I think after 7 days of non payment it's pretty obvious that you aren't going to get paid, i pay as soon as i get the prompt and after i ask my mum obviously but it's only like 7 a week so my mum doesn't really bother if i ask her or not but paying for using a streaming server well that doesn't half empty my mums bank account.(hint to you streaming server guys. drop the price)