.com/ .net/ .info for dns name server

Hey there,

We have been using .net for our name servers. And, we are thinking what to use for our new server. It never came to my mind regarding the difference, if the name server is of .com or .net or .info for domain name.

So, can someone let me know if there is any difference if the name server is of .com or .net or .info for domain name. Or, is it best to use .com name server than .net??

Thanks,
    Sid

I don't really see any potential nameserver performance issues based merely on the
    domain's extension. I've used .com, .net, .org, even .info nameservers yet all worked
    with little to no hitches, it really depends on how they're technically configured.

However, I did encounter DNS issues before when I applied .info nameservers to one
    of my .com domain names. Some kind of "compatibility" issue involving "glue" records.

You know what, I'll check with my sources about this. The Verisign COM NET Registry
    recently switched to the Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) system that has been
    used for the past few years by the Registries for .org, .info, and .biz domains, so I'd
    imagine the problem I described above will hardly happen anymore.

No difference Sid

Use .com or .net. Which ever you prefer. I would suggest .net for you in case you forget and one day reference it as .net when it's now .com and before you know it you don't have a website.

Each to their own.
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

The .info registry responds faster than the .com/.net/.org registries. So using .info as a DNS server name will shave some milliseconds off of the lookup to determine your DNS server's IP address. Will anyone notice? Probably not.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for resolving my doubts. Actually, we want to use new domain's name servers rather than creating further sets of current domain. So, I wish to confirm this so, that our clients don't have any problem.

Your answers have certainly cleared the problem.

Thanks again,
    Sid

when doing dns lookup using dnsstuff.com
    and if the nameserver is not .com, it always show this :
    Took off 3 points for ".net" TLD (extra lookups may be required to find the parent servers).

try it
    ■ Need an eNom retail/reseller account? PM me

I can say with all my authority here: if there's difference (and there *IS*, if domains have different tld's, as mentioned above by few people), it is so small that no human being will be able to tell the difference.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

no difference, I have nameservers that is .info and .com and both works

Quote Originally Posted by solidar
    no difference, I have nameservers that is .info and .com and both works
    As I have pointed above, there *IS* difference, however no human could possibly sense it.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).