isp doesnt answer abuse emails

Hello, we provide quite a reasonable filehosting service, but recently our service was added to a program called rapget (rapget.com) which leeches the files without visiting the site (other sites as well btw)

so i tried emailing provider but no hope

its hosted at a russian hosting company but the server is in the us

any ideas what to do? this is against out terms of service and since we dont force people to a premium account, our only source of revenue is adverts
    Last edited by dfh_ie; 10-30-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Write an abuse letter to the datacenter and wait for them to contact this Russian company.

As far as I understand it's United States - Texas - Dallas - Layered Technologies Inc and over there you can find abuse Email http://whois.domaintools.com/72.232.182.250

cool i taught it was layered tech, but wasnt sure

but http://www.lt.com/ doesnt seem to belong to them cheers?

anyways here is my email, lets see how quickly layered tech deal with this, on the quirky side i was about to buy servers with them, here is my chance to see what their support is like

Hello

the following website http://rapget.com/
    hosted by http://lighthost.ru

hosted on your server @ 72.232.182.250

http://whois.domaintools.com/72.232.182.250

The following website hosts and provides an application RAPGET for download, this program is used to abuse the service we provide!

also these websites are affected by this program as well:

rapidshare.com
    rapidshare.de
    megaupload.com
    sexuploader.com
    mytempdir.com
    slil.ru
    sendspace.com
    turboupload.com
    speedshare.org
    hyperupload.com
    getfile.biz
    depositfiles.com
    webfile.ru
    file2share.biz
    rapidupload.com
    yourfile.org
    yourfilehost.com
    filehd.com
    mooload.com
    scambia.com
    filepost.ru
    justupit.com
    simpleupload.de
    audiofind.ru
    yourfilelink.com
    files.to
    savefile.com
    filebest.ru
    freefileupload.net
    4shared.com
    netload.us
    uploading.com

ifolder.ru
    oxyshare.com
    filecloud.com
    datenklo.net
    zshare.net
    filefactory.com
    filespace.ru
    badongo.net
    easy-sharing.com
    upload2.net
    dosyaekle.com
    up-file.com
    rapidshare.fr
    uploadyourfiles.de
    quickdump.com
    megashares.com
    box.net
    takdata.com
    bonpoo.com
    share.am
    recfile.com
    speedyshare.com
    free-transfer.de
    dossya.com
    come2store.com
    ultrashare.de
    rapidsafe.de
    rapidshare.ru
    filecache.de
    shareua.com
    up.spbland.ru
    mihd.net

lighthost.ru
    dont sem to answer their emails

Please deal with this promtly and remove the website or the application in question [ http://rapget.com/download/rapget124.rar ]

Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you

--
    MiHD.net
    Your online hard drive!
    Last edited by dfh_ie; 10-30-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Was my info unusefull for you?

You can simply block them in your httpd.conf file or in a .htaccess file.

@JVS_Hosting

block whom? you dont understand that site supplies a program that is used to bypass outonline service, its not a website its a local application

Ok, sorry if i mis-understood, it's been a hectic day so far. If this is the case, then run something like ethereal, sniff the packets, and find out how it's making its request, perhaps to see if it's something out of the norm get requests, or something that makes it's request unique, then add a filter to mod_security.

yea i checked it just sends out standard firefix header , i prevented it from working but that may only be temporary, these people have no life

I agree, does it come from a specific IP all the time? Like as a Static IP address?

I always run into ISPs who don't answer abuse emails. Not everyone wants to go by the rules, sadly.
    I'm female.

You need to be very specific in an abuse email -- you have to provide the proof that their client is abusing the service. If the above abuse email gets ignored (or a follow-up is done), its because your first email did not explicitly say exactly what is illegal. Chances are LT gets many abuse emails, so make their job simpler by looking at their TOS/AUP and citing where the client has gone astray. Saying that it abuses the services you provide is somewhat vague...

A good DC will need to be 100-percent certain something fishy is going on before pulling the plug, otherwise the alleged abuser might raise hell.

they STILL havent answered my email and i think its quite precise

So they supply software that allows people to use your service without seeing your ads. I can understand that you don't like this but I don't see how it would be illegal or against LTs TOS - no different to providing ad-blocking software in effect.

If your users are breaking your TOS by using this software, that's something you can deal with, eg. by using a captcha and / or imposing penalties for use of automated systems.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

an isp ignoring abuse emails? What else is new?
    Russian are probably the worst, we have some spam bots spamming viri links on zone-h forum and they ignored all our reports.
    I think if countries should be allowed access to the world wibe web they should control their users. But anyway, once a ween me and my admins go through the security and dos logs and email abuse reports to various isps. Very very few even reply and if we dont ban the ip or subnet they will be attacking for weeks end on.
    Comcast is probably the worse, they ignore all abuse emails. I know this for a fact because the other day I got a dos alert, someone had 1700 connections, it turns out it was my friend using ftp and he had numerous clients open. Well I sent the abuse report, warned him to tell him if they said anything to contact me, they never did.

I can go on all day about isps and datacenters that ignore abuse emails but countries like russia, china, and turkey are impossible to resolve abuse issues. Most of your illegal sites will be hosted in these countries.
    But since Im on the subject Ill lay a few down a few web hosts that ignore abuse reports:
    Hostdime - if they dont ignore them they deny it, even with log evidence
    Serverpronto - pure idiots and they really dont care
    server4you.de
    agavaweb - russian host with servers in US, viri spammers

and layterdtech, - had a massive socket flood from a layerdtech server that hosted a bunch of proxy sites, they forwarded the abuse report to their admin, he emails me saying I had a large number of visitors visiting from their server and that was it lol.

better just to ban their ranges and be done with it. In the case of the rapget or whatever, you need to fix your scripts where they cant be exploited with such things but I guess its still stealing

Most of the abuse reports we file are for zombie servers trying to brute the ssh or random dos and exploit attempts. I dount I have been succesful in shutting down anything but you just have to try. Otherwise the internet will stay infested with scum.
    Last edited by jon-f; 11-06-2006 at 10:59 PM.

You should carefully examine the requests made by that application to see if they follow certain patterns (check their IPs, headers, URLs, referers etc).

For example, a real visitor using browser will load all images in a page whereas the app will most likely ignore images and just download files. Once you know how to identify requests made by the app, there will be some ways to block them.

Anyway, the simplest solution is to use captcha to block out the app.

Quote Originally Posted by foobic
    So they supply software that allows people to use your service without seeing your ads. I can understand that you don't like this but I don't see how it would be illegal or against LTs TOS - no different to providing ad-blocking software in effect.

If your users are breaking your TOS by using this software, that's something you can deal with, eg. by using a captcha and / or imposing penalties for use of automated systems.
    I am fully with foobic on this matter. I can see your reason to complain and completely understand it, however the problem is the author of the application actually didnt do anything illegal. He/She simply wrote an HTTP client, which operates on the same level as every browser. Admittedly it might implement some sort of automation, but this isnt illegal by definition.

You cant really go for the author but need to focus on the people using the application. foobic's suggestion about captchas might be worth a try. Also look out for some specifics the application might have, which can be used for implementing some sort of blocking - like others already said.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

it wasnt to hard to make it stop from working,
    but its only temporary these people have no life and prob bypass it again?

why should my users be hassled with captchas if these russian thugs have nothing better to do with their lives?

as such i dont mid if people use adblocks (thats a completely different debate) still visiting the website is better than not

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    it wasnt to hard to make it stop from working,
    but its only temporary these people have no life and prob bypass it again?

why should my users be hassled with captchas if these russian thugs have nothing better to do with their lives?
    Getting emotional doesnt help you. Such tools were always written and will be always written. Captchas are meanwhile used by many sites and shouldnt be such a hassle. If you want to prevent users to use such tools they are a good way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    as such i dont mid if people use adblocks (thats a completely different debate) still visiting the website is better than not
    Well, but there are others who actually do mind adblockers as they minimise the generated revenue. But this still doesnt make them illegal, just like the application you are complaining about.

Again, I understand your reason to complain, but you unfortunately wont have a case against the application or the author but have to go after the users who are using it.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Maybe try to forbid download without ref. If certainly they do not spoof it.
    It will help to solve and this and possible similar problems.
    Analyze logs.
    For my site I choose 24/7 solutions - Professional managed hosting. It's O'k for now.

it sends a firefox header, and captchas dont seem to stop ot from leeching from other sites like rapidhare

Why don't captchas work? Do the apps send correct captcha codes, or they found a way to bypass captchas?

Quote Originally Posted by hyperspin
    Why don't captchas work? Do the apps send correct captcha codes, or they found a way to bypass captchas?
    The app could show the captcha, take input from the user, and submit the response, just a a web browser would. They still have to view the captcha, but they still aren't viewing the rest of the site.

Adding the captcha, especially if done in a heavy handed way such as being required for every downloadable item rather than once per session, could irritate your target audience more than it does the leechers that you want rid of.

Also, image recognition is software is getting quite advanced these days - quite god enough in fact to get around most simple (and many that seem advanced) captcha arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by dspillettt
    The app could show the captcha, take input from the user, and submit the response, just a a web browser would. They still have to view the captcha, but they still aren't viewing the rest of the site.
    Yes, the app could do many things, but if he turns captchas on he'll buy himself some time.

It's basically a game of leapfrog with these guys, it's the same game we're playing with the spammers. We work out something to stop them, then they work out how to work around it!

So, I'd implement captchas and then plan your next anti-rapget measure and get it ready and working. When they workaround captchas then turn your next measure on, after a while they may get the message that you're better than them and give up!

Another possibility is to work out how to watermark the images they're seeing so they still advertise his site. He could even insert an advertising image in a corner. This is more like a win-win for both parties, he gets to advertise his site and they get his images!! This may not work for him, based on what he said above, just an idea. And of course, if they wanted the original image they'd need to go to his site to download it without the watermark.