Picking a Dedicated Server Host...Please help me choose..Concerns Inside!

Hello!

Great forum you have here...

I am looking for a dedicated server company...
    I have been looking into LiquidWeb, Steadfast, and ServInt

I love ServInt...I think they would meet my needs in every way, except, they don't provide any type of backup service...Unless you get a 2nd hard drive..and then it just uses a script which you can only do a full recover, not a file by file recovery if needed....

LiquidWeb looks great...I don't think I would hit their bandwidth limitations (50/50) right away...but my fear is as the site grows I may end up "screwing the pooch"...

SteadFast seems like an EXCELLENT idea....Backups would be included, but I would have to pay an extra $75 a month for the "GOLD" service.....It would bring my total monthly cost to about $80 over ServInt...with the only major difference I can see ...backups....

The site is going to have a lot of multimedia content (i.e. FlashPlayers playing MP3, WAV files....JPEG/GIF images....Videos linked to YouTube, etc....)...but obviously I will not be getting TONS of traffic at first...until word of mouth starts flowing.....but I don't want to paint myself into a corner and then be stuck at LiquidWeb for example and be paying out the butt for extra bandwidth because of their 50/50 setup.....

ServInt seems like the company for me....but the no backup idea REALLY worries me....Since I will have a lot of user data for the site...I can't risk not having many backups

Fastservers offers an off-server backup.

I've been with them for... 4 or 5 years... wow time goes by.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel
    Fastservers offers an off-server backup.

I've been with them for... 4 or 5 years... wow time goes by.
    I just can't believe ServInt doesn't offer any true form of file backup

I want to order with them so badly...I just find it so difficult to overlook something like BACKUP....

am I crazy?

Do you feel that 800 in /800 out at LiquidWeb will be sufficient?
    Would I need to have a HUUUUUUUUUUGE site to generate more than that?

All of this different options make your head spin...I don't want to overpay for services I won't use......but it's like every site has its own problem

Why not get a 3rd party backup service like bqbackup.com as its cheap and with it being offsite it give you an extra level or protection
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2
    Why not get a 3rd party backup service like bqbackup.com as its cheap and with it being offsite it give you an extra level or protection
    Because as you can see from my initial post, I'm new to the dedicated game!
    A service like this would be excellent.....

Do you know of other companies that offer similar services so I can compare?

I have a question...Would it be possible for me to send backup data across a service like this even throughout the day?....I am REALLY cautious by nature and would like to back as often as possible...but is something like this possible in a Linux environment while the databases are still being used throughout the day?

In other words if I wanted to back up my data at 2:00pm EST...while the site is still up and running, is it possible to do and get all my databases, files, etc. backed up?....or do I have to wait til early morning hours when my site is not too active?

Well, you may opt for 3rd party management company and get offsite backup (perhaps 30 minutes incremental backup with daily backup separately).

Go with steadfast and get remote backup with bqbackup.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng
    Well, you may opt for 3rd party management company and get offsite backup (perhaps 30 minutes incremental backup with daily backup separately).

Go with steadfast and get remote backup with bqbackup.
    That would be AWESOME

If that is the case, I think I'd rather go with ServInt...as their $199 dedicated service/ 1600 GB transfer would be perfect I think!

and if I use the above stated 3rd party software....I think I'd have the best of both worlds...I checked into bqbackup and it seems Scott is a stand up guy running a great business....Who can beat their prices for $5 for 10 GB!!!

Would someone like Scott at bqbackup be able to assist me in setting up the incremental backup (lets say 30 mins) and then the daily backup at night? What specific software would I need to purchase to do this, including backing up my databases while the site is still running and databases being used?

SteadFast would be about $60 more than ServInt a month....Do you feel that they are worth the price, or is ServInt considered top notch like I hear they are?

Thanks so much for the quick help guys..I really appreciate the time and effort
    Last edited by Wizzah; 10-30-2006 at 07:19 AM.

Wizzah, you may back up all your data with the help of http://mycpanelbackup.com yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyy
    Wizzah, you may back up all your data with the help of http://mycpanelbackup.com yourself.
    Not a very secure, or speedy option if his internet connection isn't up to par, or his client base becomes too large..

Not for the amount of backup intervals he's wanting to do.

I'm sure if you find a 3rd party backup company, they would assist you in setting up your daily/nightly crons for backup. Just be sure to ask before you commit. Good luck!

I believe if you checkout acuntt, they offer backup services, and included in their price is them setting it up for you.

I'd definately recommend LiquidWeb - I loved it there when I was using them (a few years back) - and the 800/800 should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzah
    Hello!

Great forum you have here...

I am looking for a dedicated server company...
    I have been looking into LiquidWeb, Steadfast, and ServInt

I love ServInt...I think they would meet my needs in every way, except, they don't provide any type of backup service...Unless you get a 2nd hard drive..and then it just uses a script which you can only do a full recover, not a file by file recovery if needed....

LiquidWeb looks great...I don't think I would hit their bandwidth limitations (50/50) right away...but my fear is as the site grows I may end up "screwing the pooch"...

SteadFast seems like an EXCELLENT idea....Backups would be included, but I would have to pay an extra $75 a month for the "GOLD" service.....It would bring my total monthly cost to about $80 over ServInt...with the only major difference I can see ...backups....

The site is going to have a lot of multimedia content (i.e. FlashPlayers playing MP3, WAV files....JPEG/GIF images....Videos linked to YouTube, etc....)...but obviously I will not be getting TONS of traffic at first...until word of mouth starts flowing.....but I don't want to paint myself into a corner and then be stuck at LiquidWeb for example and be paying out the butt for extra bandwidth because of their 50/50 setup.....

ServInt seems like the company for me....but the no backup idea REALLY worries me....Since I will have a lot of user data for the site...I can't risk not having many backups
    regarding steadfast, why dont you just buy a off-site backup with them?
    https://www.steadfast.net/services/backup.php

saves you 65 dollar...

bosie

Would someone like Scott at bqbackup be able to assist me in setting up the incremental backup (lets say 30 mins) and then the daily backup at night? What specific software would I need to purchase to do this, including backing up my databases while the site is still running and databases being used?
    Of course As far as backup software, all you'll need is Rsync, which is already installed on most dedicated servers out there.

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    Of course As far as backup software, all you'll need is Rsync, which is already installed on most dedicated servers out there.

-Scott
    I like your reviews
    I like your service
    I like your quick reply
    I appreciate your help

I'll be contacting you in the next few weeks to get an account with your company...I look forward to working with you

This will also allow me to go with ServInt who I've wanted to go with all along...I just need a stable backup solution as I CAN NOT lose database data in any long timeframe...I need FREQUENT/UNINTRUSIVE backups

I would honestly go with Steadfast. I have went through trial and error with soo many providers in the past, Steadfast is the only company that seems to really know how to run a company from all aspects. Especially for streaming, gaming, their network is insanely smooth and quick at all times, I was with a lot of companies where you could never really consistently push solid amounts of bandwidth, Steadfast is the only one I've found that you can ALWAYS push as much as you need.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    Keep them coming!

It's between ServInt, LiquidWeb (I like the idea that they own their datacenters, and everything is 100% LiquidWeb), and Steadfast.....

LiquidWeb worries me about the splitting of bandwidth policy....Having 1600 is great...but having it 800/800 is a little creepy...

I know the owners of www.fark.com love ServInt and swear by them....With the backup application and service from bqbackup.com and Scott..I think this will fit my needs...

ServInt provides quality managed support for the cost of the server...With SteadFast it's roughly $75 extra a month for this same service....They offer the basic Silver package for free I believe...but to add the goodies it's $75 extra a MONTH...

choices...choices...choices....

ServInt provides quality managed support for the cost of the server...With SteadFast it's roughly $75 extra a month for this same service....They offer the basic Silver package for free I believe...but to add the goodies it's $75 extra a MONTH...

choices...choices...choices....
    Just to clarify, the main difference between the gold and silver management is the proactive monitoring and resolution. The silver management still includes full support for all supported software 24/7, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    Just to clarify, the main difference between the gold and silver management is the proactive monitoring and resolution. The silver management still includes full support for all supported software 24/7, etc.
    Karl, Thanks for the reply and nice to see you on the boards

I should have phrased my response better...The main reason to go with the Gold package would have been for the backup....but as someone pointed out you can purchase off-site backup directly through SteadFast for $10 per month for 10 GB..

Would SteadFast be able to assist me in setting up my backups properly on my server?...I would like for the databases to be backup up throughout the day (while the site is still in production and being used)...and one time fully at night (with the two different backups being stored in two diff directories...just to be safe)