3tera and AppLogic

Hi Everyone,
    Has anyone had experience with 3Tera and AppLogic? They seem to be getting a bit of press lately (along with a product launch) though much of it is from press releases. They offer grid based hosting that enables it to be easily scalable and is catered towards web2.0 type applications. This is exactly what I'm looking for but they seem to be a new company so want to check what experiences other poeple have had.

Seems they do linux setups, do they also do microsoft setups?

Also, do people know of other companies who provide this type of service?

Thanks!

See discussion on GridLayer.

I went to 3Tera's web site, and it is really interesting.
    Their first partner is UtilityPath, and 2nd being GridLayer.

It looks like UtilityPath is targetted more toward serious business, while GridLayer is aiming traditional dedicated/high-end-VPS market.

I'm still wondering if MT's system has a bit of relation to this, but I don't know at all.

As 3Tera started out from the top of the market, and descending into dedicated/VPS segment, I'm expecting to see partners in reseller and shared hosting segment.

And then, there will be smaller hosts using GridLayer to offer smaller packages.

Ideally, GridLayer or other server provider should be creating turnkey no-brainer cPanel/Rvskin/fantasico small host VM-image.

But I guess we have to see how things will go with GridLayer and UtilityPath.
    Also, many people may think twice because of MT....

Another thing I'm wondering is if 3Tera is willing to sell their OS to individual users or small business for their internal website and other uses.

Although they may not want to provide support for individual users, there are definitely more potential clients out there.
    For a small business using 10 - 20 PC, a system like this can reduce the headache and downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    I'm still wondering if MT's system has a bit of relation to this, but I don't know at all
    MT is not in any way related to 3Tera. With all due respect, the folks at MT just learned that product development and operations are two very distinct competencies..

As 3Tera started out from the top of the market, and descending into dedicated/VPS segment, I'm expecting to see partners in reseller and shared hosting segment.

And then, there will be smaller hosts using GridLayer to offer smaller packages.
    Also, watch for the middle. Quiz: what's in the middle between a full grid and a single grid server?

Ideally, GridLayer or other server provider should be creating turnkey no-brainer cPanel/Rvskin/fantasico small host VM-image.
    They already do. Call 9:26:26 AM and ask Jeremy for more detail - I am sure he will post it here as well...

But I guess we have to see how things will go with GridLayer and UtilityPath.
    Also, many people may think twice because of MT....
    Progress is inevitable: your choice is to jump on the train, miss the train, or be ran over :-)

Another thing I'm wondering is if 3Tera is willing to sell their OS to individual users or small business for their internal website and other uses.

Although they may not want to provide support for individual users, there are definitely more potential clients out there.
    For a small business using 10 - 20 PC, a system like this can reduce the headache and downtime.
    We would love to make AppLogic available to everyone. The challenge is that we are still small and do not have the support infrastructure to serve large number of small customers.. This will change over time.

However, a small business like the one you mention can get a dedicated hosted AppLogic grid. Both LT and UtilityServe will sell you one, as long as you are willing to get at least 4 servers.

Hello Vlad,

Very good to see you here and discussing with us these products.

You have a very nice platform and I am glad to see your desire to support customers stands above the ability to make a "quick buck" selling large amounts of a platform in smaller quantity to people who may not be qualified to operate the software. It speaks volumes for your desire to maintain a solid platform and support structure.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen)
    Hello Vlad,

Very good to see you here and discussing with us these products.

You have a very nice platform and I am glad to see your desire to support customers stands above the ability to make a "quick buck" selling large amounts of a platform in smaller quantity to people who may not be qualified to operate the software. It speaks volumes for your desire to maintain a solid platform and support structure.
    Stephen,

One thing I learned from 20+ years of running software companies is that you never know as much as you think you do. My favorite quote goes like this "The successful man is the one who figures out what's wrong with his business before his competitors do".

I believe that the world is moving toward utility computing, and that the hosting industry will play a key role in this. 100 years ago, electrical power was the hot technology, and most businesses who wanted to take advantage of it had to build and operate their own power stations. Today, this sounds funny - you just plug into the outlet and forget about it.

Today, less than 20% of all servers are hosted - the remaining 80% are operated in house. By the time we are done with this transition, only the largest 100 or so global businesses will have a valid reason to have in-house IT - everything else will be using a hosted utility over the network. This means the market for hosting will grow by a factor of at least 400%. This is a huge opportunity for all of us.

No one knows yet what the utility service will look like. One thing is for sure, though - it will require hosted infrastructure, it will require a new generation of software to run that infrastructure, it will have to scale quickly, and it will have to be "self-serve" for the customers the way electricity and telephones are today.

So I am here to learn from you guys as much as I am to help you learn about AppLogic. I am not in the hosting business, and I realize that I can never understand it as well as you do. I'd like to think I understand the infrastructure software business and scalable systems better than most people. Building the utility will require new partnerships between hosters, infrastructure software vendors, application software vendors and many others. It is time to start building these relationships...

Thank you very much for the clarifications.
    I was impressed by the line up of your advisors.
    I felt that it shows the amplitude of the impact you are forseeing.

Quote Originally Posted by VladMiloushev
    MT is not in any way related to 3Tera. With all due respect, the folks at MT just learned that product development and operations are two very distinct competencies..
    This should assure (sadly, to some degree) many people, both users and hosts.

I don't think many people in hosting industry understand what "infrastructure" means.
    I come from transport industry (among other experiencs), and nobody really praise us when things work.
    Yet we spend so much time/energy/money to make it work and keep it working.

I am just a hobbyist in hosting and yet I feel like many hosts think like less than amature.
    Although that is only my personal perception, several other truly professional people had similar opinion.

So, you may need to do lots of education, or selections if you want to keep higher "utility " level standard.

Also, watch for the middle. Quiz: what's in the middle between a full grid and a single grid server?
    To be honest, I don't know.
    I have been thinking about different form of clustering or redundancy, but I'm just a newbie in this area.

Also, there are lots of potential in many segment.
    It's your marketting choice/strategy. as well.
    Where to hit first, hard, continuously, and so on.

In my view, people in hosting industry is driven by money, more than technological interest or social structure or other theme.
    It means they will go after anything that will give them at least the same or better revenue than they are getting now.
    Also, many people in hosting industry aren't that clever.
    So, you have to make things really easy.
    Otherwise, many of them can't take it.

Of course, you can choose to abandon them and go with more reliable partners and sweep them away to the remaining nich market, or simply use them as a driving foctor, or a sort of fuel in booster tank to launch things.

And there are zillions of unsatisfied end users.
    You can go after them, directly, or via partners of one or more layers.

It's like structuring a company.
    Only difference is you may not have direct control, and thus you have to be very careful and smart in conducting all marketing/supporting strategy.
    It's a venture of huge size if I'm understanding your intention correctly.

They already do. Call 9:26:26 AM and ask Jeremy for more detail - I am sure he will post it here as well...
    That's nice.
    I'm not a fun of cPanel, at all.
    But it will sell for those who need it, and I think there are many of them.

Progress is inevitable: your choice is to jump on the train, miss the train, or be ran over :-)
    Actually, I'm flying over, as I used to do for traffic watch of a radio station.
    As I'm not an active player in the hosting industry, I can see things without the fear of loosing income.

For a smaller hosts, it's different as things are already tough.
    They have the pressure of larger highly competitive hosts in one side, and the pressure of more reliable redundant hosts, as well.

I don't know how many of them would be around in a few years.
    But I don't think many will disappear in very short time.

We would love to make AppLogic available to everyone. The challenge is that we are still small and do not have the support infrastructure to serve large number of small customers.. This will change over time.
    Well, properly guided community of talented people can make huge diferences.
    Even MS has used that model in WindowsCE.

I don't know if you want to go closed tightly controled way, or more open method, or mixture of these, though.

However, a small business like the one you mention can get a dedicated hosted AppLogic grid. Both LT and UtilityServe will sell you one, as long as you are willing to get at least 4 servers.
    I'm not so sure about the model of big powerplant serving everyone.
    Maybe it will come to that, later.
    But many business would like to keep their existing hardware in their building, IMO.
    I think they are ready to implement something that would dramatically increase the availability and security of existing system while cutting down time/money of the maintenance, though.

If Applogic is something similar to beowulf/scyld, and it can be even installed like knoppix LiveCD (over and/or under existing OS), it can be very interesting.
    Put the CD, and then entire existing network transforming into a Grid!
    Well, maybe I'm dreaming a bit too much.
    Last edited by extras; 11-16-2006 at 10:00 PM.