best place for colocation

I have a client who is interested to colo more than 20 machines. I dont live in USA.

So, what do you guys think the best and most reliable data center should these servers be colocated?
    current and satisfied customer of softlayer.com and webnx.com

What section of the US does he want them in? What specific requirements does he have?
    Does he need a managed colocation solution? How much power does he need?

Should be around 20-25 Amps.

Location is not the primary issue, but looking for reliable DC where we can contact for support, hardware failure, etc. Management will be done by 3rd party.

It would depend alot on where the client's visitors are located. If he is not in the US as well, consider hooking everything up to KVM and APC for remote administration.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Avoid the bay area.

The plusses of the bay area are:
    - Great carrier connectivity
    - Large pool of tech savvy people
    - Great datacenters

The negatives of the bay area:
    - Highest power rates in the country
    - Highest real estate rates in the country
    - Extremely hot colo market making it impossible to get space or treated like a valued customer
    - Lousy regional power in the summer (think rolling blackouts)

Texas seems to be a good place .. Real estate is dirt cheap, power is reasonable, and there are a huge number of colo facilities out there. Seattle seems to be decent, we're actually moving everything to the Seattle area at the end of the year.

Though, if you do want to go with the bay area, I highly recommend Ethr.net, Layer42, or Dennis Nugent's company ..

Thanks.

I recommend my client to go with ethr.net. I have some servers colocated there and really love their great pre/post sales, support and network.

Quote Originally Posted by mhalligan
    Avoid the bay area.

The plusses of the bay area are:
    - Great carrier connectivity
    - Large pool of tech savvy people
    - Great datacenters

The negatives of the bay area:
    - Highest power rates in the country
    - Highest real estate rates in the country
    - Extremely hot colo market making it impossible to get space or treated like a valued customer
    - Lousy regional power in the summer (think rolling blackouts)

Texas seems to be a good place .. Real estate is dirt cheap, power is reasonable, and there are a huge number of colo facilities out there. Seattle seems to be decent, we're actually moving everything to the Seattle area at the end of the year.

Though, if you do want to go with the bay area, I highly recommend Ethr.net, Layer42, or Dennis Nugent's company ..
    This is not always true. Look at Calpop, it has the lower prices in the US, I would say. I have some machines at Coporate Colo and I consider cheap for the services and the connection that I receive.

North Texas

Here's an article that came out a week or so ago on the best place to colo http://www.informationweek.com/news/...no=1&queryText=

I totally disagree with their findings though.

Sioux Falls, S.D. $9.7 million
    San Antonio, Texas $10.3 million
    Ames, Iowa $10.4 million
    Tulsa, Okla. $10.5 million
    Des Moines, Iowa $10.5 million
    Omaha, Neb. $10.5 million
    Colorado Springs, Colo. $10.7 million
    Albuquerque, N.M. $10.8 million
    Denton, Texas $10.9 million
    Champaign, Ill. $11.1 million

Granted, the only one of these towns I've been to in my life is Denton Texas which is just north of Dallas. But in Denton, I'm not aware of a single data cetner and I know no one is selling colocation there.

I know there is alot of colo in Phoenix and there are probably 4 carrier hotels in Dallas so I think that makes a good argument for Dallas (my home.) Dallas also sports a central business district power grid that is the best in the world and in use in Chicago, Washington DC, NY, and Atlanta. Plus, there are no natural disaster threats outside of tornados and a large high tech workforce.
    Rocky Ahmann
    http://www.aspentx.com

Facilities and fiber in Dallas and Fort Worth TX

I read that article as well, but it's more geared towards large companies building their own datacenters, not recommendations on where to colo.

Hi!
    There is no "perfect" place to colo in the US. I look at travel time, myself.
    I have zero desire to live in Atlanta ever again..however...a monthly trip would be doable..if the price is right. I'm also looking at going North as well..to Raleigh..or perhaps even DC if the price is right. I'm even considering Chicago.

As to power...remember you should never load more than 80%...so..max safe load for a normal 20AMP circuit is 16AMPS max..so you would need two circuits.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

ethr.net I have heard good things, calpop I would never use (ex-customer).
    I would recommend multacom.com, started using them recently and so far they been great.
    Their data center is 2(N+1), thats as reliable as you can get.

Have you looked into Internap that have a great datacenter in Atlanta and have full staff there that makes it easier to manage.