Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ShareFile, in the US, or at least in NY, when I owned a retail store, it was illegal for me to price items including the tax. I had to exclude the tax. There are lots of laws in the US regarding this issue.

Just FYI.

I would imagine it's the same for RackShack.
      0 Not allowed!

I've always thought it strange that they don't own rackshack.com.

Would you like a server with that Kayak??
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

@RS
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack
      0 Not allowed!

Just for the record, sales tax is state based. There is no federal sales tax. You don't pay it to the federal government. You pay it to the state government of your respective state.

In almost every state, sales tax is not applicable to out of state sales, so in all probability, Rackshack has no business charging someone sales tax, if the customer isn't at the moment of sale in their state.

Just food for thought.
      0 Not allowed!

I actually started a thread in the 'Lounge' a while ago about how odd I found it during my last trip to the US when I had to pay more than the 'advertised' price.

It's very very strange indeed when you come from a country where you pay what the sticker says (i.e. probably most countries in the world), but yeah that's the way it works. Crazy.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Drewcifer
    Just for the record, sales tax is state based. There is no federal sales tax. You don't pay it to the federal government. You pay it to the state government of your respective state.

In almost every state, sales tax is not applicable to out of state sales, so in all probability, Rackshack has no business charging someone sales tax, if the customer isn't at the moment of sale in their state.

Just food for thought.

This topic has been discussed multiple times:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=52677
      0 Not allowed!

I am not a customer of RS, but I cant see how they are liars when the sales tax is right there on the order form. If you dont like it, why not just walk no one forces you to order.

8% is nothing, in the UK we have to charge 17.5% to our UK and European customers!
      0 Not allowed!

Look: Over 99,9% worlds population is NOT living in Texas - over 95% not even in the in the US of A. So I really don't give crap about sales taxes there.

ALL THE OTHER PROVIDERS HERE charge you what they tell you. So price=payable amount, PERIOD! Hell even C.I. HOST charged me what their site said and they are in texas too. ALSO I have NEVER received a formal invoice from RS, I have no papers whatsoever so the amount I spend with RS is deducted from my tax report. Face it, this sales tax story is BullS.

I don't care if they are sacking it or not. Fact is that RackShack NEVER EVER had a REAL 99$ server for me, others did.

If you cannot realize that cause you live in US with all the other 4, someting% of the worlds population then it is time to friggin WAKE UP!!! I WONDER though how come that f.e. FDCservers (I have a mchine there) charges me EXACTLY what the site said not a single penny more. What? Is Chicago not US?? Hah??

Well get your set together and THINK for a change and THEN I will pay attention to further replies.

Showing a price and then charge another, YEAH RIGHT
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ShareFile
    Wow, you're getting pretty worked up on an issue that has really nothing to do with you, what is the price after the sales tax is added? What? $5? Are you on welfare? I remeber previous posts of your stating that you purchased 2 companies: eXscape Comm. and Lightone... You can't be that poor, come on...

Anyways, you seem to hate rackshack by reading all your posts, you look like an overly jealous competitor, if you ask me...

Calm down...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by 311
    Wow, you're getting pretty worked up on an issue that has really nothing to do with you, what is the price after the sales tax is added? What? $5? Are you on welfare? I remeber previous posts of your stating that you purchased 2 companies: eXscape Comm. and Lightone... You can't be that poor, come on...
    I am/was invited here by ShareFile to give my point of view on RackShack. What strikes me is that even though I understand they add tax (and not any extra fee) is that it is not mentioned anywhere up untill the last page. They advertise with 99 us$/month servers, but -face it- no one will pay that ammount. The only add a "* set up fees apply". They could at least add that taxes are not included, many hosts do that, and even though you are not allowed to add it in your prize (according to driverdave) you can't tell me you aren't allowed to mention it anywhere.

I wonder if it is not dictated to do so. Here in The Nertherlands you have to say if prices include or exclude tax, I can imagine in the US you have to do that aswell.
    Alexander
      0 Not allowed!

ShareFile - We're not comparing Rackshack with every other webhost, not every other webhost lives in Texas, those specific tax laws are for Texas, anyone in Texas not charging those is violating those tax laws. It's cut and dry. Chicago is not in Texas. If you have any questions regarding Texas' tax laws, you can talk to the comptroller in Texas, they will tell you.
    Last edited by Patrick-EV1; 06-20-2002 at 10:19 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Alex[nl] - Actually, the taxes are mentioned in the second step of the signup when you're picking your server:
    https://members.ev1.net/rsMembers/en...up/signup2.asp

Monthly Fee: $29.00 - Setup Fee: $149.00 - Total Charges w/fees* & taxes: $192.21
    Monthly Fee w/fees* & taxes: $30.91 - Setup Fee w/fees* & taxes: $161.29

Also stated at the bottom:
    * Note: Sales Tax (currently 8.25%) is added to all charges. Complete details can be found in the RackShack TOS Terms and Conditions of Service.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Patrick-EV1

This topic has been discussed multiple times:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=52677
    I wasn't really trying to get on rackshacks case. I was merely commenting on all the people here who seem to be 'professional' and own 'businesses' yet have nary a clue about sales tax, what the rules are, or how it works. Quite alarming really.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Drewcifer

I wasn't really trying to get on rackshacks case. I was merely commenting on all the people here who seem to be 'professional' and own 'businesses' yet have nary a clue about sales tax, what the rules are, or how it works. Quite alarming really.
    I understand, I was just clarifying that Rackshack does in fact have business charging the sales tax. Even in that thread ShareFile admitted that the tax was real after all.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by 311

Anyways, you seem to hate rackshack by reading all your posts, you look like an overly jealous competitor, if you ask me...

Calm down...
    What the HELL has "welfare" or my personal income has to do with this???

Even if they charged 0.05$ more I would be mad the same. This is about whatis right and what is wrong. And as far as this is concerned they are dead wrong!!!

I agree with Patrick (and knew that before too btw, it was not new to me) that they indeed tel you that there is sales tax. But where? One page before signup! As to this point you have already made up your mind to go with them and are looking forward to your server.

I know cause I made the mistake too when I signes up with them 1.5 years ago for their "99$" aka 105$ RaQ 4i.

The only LEGITIMITE tax is VAT. VAT is issued in an invoice and if you have areal company and are not a scam, then you get that VAT back from the IRS. BUT if you purchase from another country, then you do NOT pay VAT.

I am doing business in the whole of Europe since 6 years now and I am a Economist (I studied economic science and management), I even do the tax reports and other IRS issues of my friends, and I know damn well what TAXES are!

You know what? As soon as I get my colo in Denver up and actually BE a COMPETITOR again, I will start advertising servers here for 99$ just like RS does and will charge them 105$ (nice, over 35% more profit!!) and when someone complains I will tell him "Ah comme on m8, what are 6$ more? Are you on welfare?"

no more comment!
      0 Not allowed!

My point was you make it sound like Rackshack customers are told 99$ at signup, then hit with a 105$ charge, which is completely untrue, they're told way before they even sign up for the server, and if they dont want to pay it, they can cancel out of the sign up before they even put in any information about themselves. They can also contact sales at any time and any and all fees would be disclosed.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Patrick-EV1
    My point was you make it sound like Rackshack customers are told 99$ at signup, then hit with a 105$ charge, which is completely untrue, they're told way before they even sign up for the server, and if they dont want to pay it, they can cancel out of the sign up before they even put in any information about themselves. They can also contact sales at any time and any and all fees would be disclosed.
    However that huge 99 us$ sign that does say in small print "set up fees apply"" could imho also add a "* we charge 6 us$ sales tax on top of that"...
    Alexander
      0 Not allowed!

I think Rackshack has done fine, all other online businesses I've bought stuff from don't talk about taxes untill you're ready to buy and have already put in all your information. Rackshack has done a step better then that, they tell you about it before you even get far enough to put in any info about yourself! I say they've done far more then they have to!! I don't like the laws in texas either but if you work there you have to comply with them, as does Rackshack.

Also on another note, I've not had any problems with my duron box from RS. It's been going strong for a long time now even with me hammering it really badly with traffic.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm with Rackshack for a few months now. My experience is that they are great as long as you understand that the servers are unmanaged.

My only recommendation would be to get a Compaq, they contain top quality hardware. At $119/$129 they are a bargain for a brand server.

Jan Derk
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ShareFile
    God, get over it. Go to America, that's what they do there. You buy a packet of gum for $0.99, they'll charge you $1.13

That's the way it is in America.

Yes it's kinda silly and doesn't make much sense but that's the way of life for most Americans.

And like people have said, Rackshack are quite entitled to do that and they do so without hiding the fact.
      0 Not allowed!

Arrow

I do not disagree with you and yes those taxes suck deeply then. All I say is that if you buy a server at f.e. webreseller or so and it is 149 then you pay 149. People in the internet business which is PLANETWIDE should NOT advertise deals like this. They should go with the ACTUAL price as almost everyone else does...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mlovick
    I am not a customer of RS, but I cant see how they are liars when the sales tax is right there on the order form. If you dont like it, why not just walk no one forces you to order.

8% is nothing, in the UK we have to charge 17.5% to our UK and European customers!
    exactly
      0 Not allowed!

Sharefile you are over reacting man, calm down. no need to blow up on anyone.

Well I think both sides have proved their point. Nobody is going to change how rackshack works, so lets just get back to the original topic
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by clocker1996
    Well I think both sides have proved their point. Nobody is going to change how rackshack works, so lets just get back to the original topic
    The original topic is "Thoughts on RackShack.net ?"... and I sure as hell expressed my thoughts
      0 Not allowed!

well i meant lets stop focusing on the silly tax issue
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast