Interview with SoftLayer

I was browsing GeeksGather earlier after being pointed to their new site and saw a pretty interesting interview with SoftLayer. After reading all of the threads here about people asking about SoftLayer and their services, etc, I figured I'd be a good idea to post the interview with them and hopefully clear up some questions people may have.

Link (it's in mp3 format, about an hour long I believe) - there's also a summary of it if you don't feel like listening to the whole thing: http://www.geeksgather.com/interview..._from=&ucat=2&

I found some others to be a bit interesting too. They're nice to read if you've got any free time.
    http://www.geeksgather.com/interviews.php

Enjoy!

Not a bad read, also interesting article about AngelNet too.

This site is nice!
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Nice going GeeksGather crew
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine

Yea I didn't think they were back or even still around.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    Quite interesting to see that nothing has changed there (still everyone else's fault, no planning, poor business decisions, and everything else).

Very nicely designed site with lots of good info, I can't believe they found Donna....

There is no MP3 interview with Donna, only text.

Quote Originally Posted by Yikes2000
    There is no MP3 interview with Donna, only text.
    A little birdy told me that they are in the process of coordinating an MP3 interview w/ Donna

It ought to be a LIVE event with Donna answering questions from callers.

Excellent article !!
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I disagree - as that would turn into a free-for-all bash.

Be thankful Donna even accepted to do the interview.

Very nice site.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Be thankful Donna even accepted to do the interview.
    Yeah, I'm sure "Donna" did the interview.

Donna couldn't do a voice interview otherwise people will wonder who that strong male voice is.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc
    Donna couldn't do a voice interview otherwise people will wonder who that strong male voice is.

Good interview!

I wish SoftLayer would get some pictures of their data center online

Great Article, thanks for the link.

Nice review there geeks.
    Linn Boyd

Thanks for all of the comments so far

To those who doubt this is Donna -- there's not much I can say to the contrary, since most of you are deadset against her. I never really was in anyway part of AN (except to help a friend move out before it crashed) and so I am unbiased in that respect.

Sorry if it disappoints the skeptical.

edit: The article is updated at the end that will hopefully put some skeptics to rest.
    Last edited by PixelManual; 10-30-2006 at 09:36 PM.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

It doesn't disappoint the skeptical. It solidifies the opinions rightly held about Donna, her poor business practices, and her attitude. The softball questions you lobbed at her do nothing to change any of that. Someone on WHT did a dissection of Donna's work history and (if I recall properly) also posted a page about the lies in which Donna had been caught. While all of the articles I came across were amusing, none were more amusing than the one revolving around Donna's military service claims and her appearances on various forums while she was supposedly in Iraq.

I'm surprised that someone who goes to the effort of doing an interview with a person this notorious in the hosting world would not bring in the abundant material that Donna herself has provided and try to get a straight answer on some of it. Obviously, everything she has claimed about being in Iraq, being shot down, and so on, is a complete and total fabrication, but you should still have brought it up as an indicator of her credibility.

Who is Donna?

What she did in past? Does anyone care to explain me..
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

The first question in the article answers most of your question, the rest: Just do a search on WHT for donna mercer and Angel Networkz

thetimehascome: We've only been around for a short time and it takes time to build up a reputation and connections. I'm sure you're aware that for true indepth journalistic scoops you need to have a degree of trust from your sources and it takes a combination of hard cash and time to develop that trust. Because of that, we can't go storming into an interview with Donna and ask her questions that put her straight on the defensive. JFYI we are actually placing our money where our mouth is and giving Donna a very lucrative offer in exchange for an audio interview some time in the near future
    Last edited by PixelManual; 10-31-2006 at 12:48 AM.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Good job mate!

I was going to listen to the mp3, but it's a bit long.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    ...JFYI we are actually placing our money where our mouth is and giving Donna a very lucrative offer in exchange for an audio interview some time in the near future
    So have you talk to her in person yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    The first question in the article answers most of your question, the rest: Just do a search on WHT for donna mercer and Angel Networkz

thetimehascome: We've only been around for a short time and it takes time to build up a reputation and connections. I'm sure you're aware that for true indepth journalistic scoops you need to have a degree of trust from your sources and it takes a combination of hard cash and time to develop that trust. Because of that, we can't go storming into an interview with Donna and ask her questions that put her straight on the defensive. JFYI we are actually placing our money where our mouth is and giving Donna a very lucrative offer in exchange for an audio interview some time in the near future
    That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. It appears that you have a long way to go before you understand the nature of journalistic pursuits.

You do not pay the subject of your interview anything, in goods or cash, and the subject of that interview is not a "source". They are called the "subject" for a reason.

Having Donna talk about how it's all just a series of unfortunate events and how everyone else is out to get her is not a scoop by any stretch of the imagination. It's continuing to feed the mythos that she feels compelled to pull around her while she ignores reality and responsibility.

I don't believe anyone said anything about storming in on Donna. However, you should have asked her some kinds of questions that would allow her to do less dancing and would require her to actually address the issues that she brought on herself, as well as ask her about the obvious lies in which she has been caught. She could have refused to answer, and thereby confirmed that her credibility is nil, or she could have stepped up to the plate and taken the hard pitches in addition to the lobs you gave her.

If you want to be taken seriously as a journalist, you need to a) do adequate research, b) not be afraid or unwilling to ask questions that may make the subject uncomfortable, and c) not blindly trust someone or what they say without confirming any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by goku123
    Who is Donna?

What she did in past? Does anyone care to explain me..
    To make a (veeeeery) long story short, she made a lot of bad business decisions, caused a huge uproar, and had to refund 7k+ people due to her mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by thetimehascome
    That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. It appears that you have a long way to go before you understand the nature of journalistic pursuits.

You do not pay the subject of your interview anything, in goods or cash, and the subject of that interview is not a "source". They are called the "subject" for a reason.

Having Donna talk about how it's all just a series of unfortunate events and how everyone else is out to get her is not a scoop by any stretch of the imagination. It's continuing to feed the mythos that she feels compelled to pull around her while she ignores reality and responsibility.

I don't believe anyone said anything about storming in on Donna. However, you should have asked her some kinds of questions that would allow her to do less dancing and would require her to actually address the issues that she brought on herself, as well as ask her about the obvious lies in which she has been caught. She could have refused to answer, and thereby confirmed that her credibility is nil, or she could have stepped up to the plate and taken the hard pitches in addition to the lobs you gave her.

If you want to be taken seriously as a journalist, you need to a) do adequate research, b) not be afraid or unwilling to ask questions that may make the subject uncomfortable, and c) not blindly trust someone or what they say without confirming any of it.
    We'll be sure take your suggestions when (we still have to work out the details for this with her) we do the audio interview. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TalonKarrde
    To make a (veeeeery) long story short, she made a lot of bad business decisions, caused a huge uproar, and had to refund 7k+ people due to her mistakes.
    Yup, in fact, she owes quite a bit of money too (still, AFAIK). I recommend that anyone who isn't aware of AngelNetworkz's past to read the interview as it includes all events in sequence from Donna's point of view.