How to host a domain without CPanel

With CPanel/WHM hosting a domain is very easy; I use CPanel for my paid server so setting up accounts isn't a problem. But I also run a free hosting service that does not have CPanel and I need to setup a second domain, my friend setup the inital domain.

I know this is probably a "no brainer" to most of you and I probably should know how to do it but I just never needed to use it. If anyone could give me a quick tutorial or how-to that'd be great.

Thx
    Former owner of 275mb, DKMHosting, and Easy-Upload

There's really no quick tutorial...the basic steps would be to add the domain record to named and then to add the virtualhost directive to the httpd.conf.

I'd highly recommend installing some kind of free panel (like webmin) to help you with this. If you don't know what you're doing it can be fairly confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGladen
    With CPanel/WHM hosting a domain is very easy; I use CPanel for my paid server so setting up accounts isn't a problem. But I also run a free hosting service that does not have CPanel and I need to setup a second domain, my friend setup the inital domain.

I know this is probably a "no brainer" to most of you and I probably should know how to do it but I just never needed to use it. If anyone could give me a quick tutorial or how-to that'd be great.

Thx
    in linux, create a DNS file for your domain name, e.g domain name example.com

file example.com

Code:
    $TTL    86400

@       IN      SOA     ns1.yourdomain.com. adminemail.yourdomain.com. (
                            2006102901      ; Serial - todays date + any 2 digit number / must be changed everytime you updated this file
                            10800   ; Refresh
                            3600    ; Retry
                            604800  ; Expire
                            86400 ) ; Minimum

example.com.     IN NS  ns1.yourdomain.com.

example.com.     IN A  123.456.789.012 
    sub1.example.com.   IN A 123.456.789.013
    www.example.com. IN CNAME example.com.
    mail.example.com IN A 333.444.555.666
    example.com.     IN MX 10 mail.example.com.
    then find a file looks like (for example your ip address 123.456.789.10):
    789.456.123.in-addr.arpa

then add this line in that file :

Code:
    10 IN PTR example.com
    where 10 is the last number in your ip address.

then in named.conf add
    Code:
    zone "example.com" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/example.com";
        };
    and if you have a slave server (secondary server)

change the type master to type slave, then add masters { masteripaddr;}

oh yeah, don't forget to restart named.
    Last edited by liandra; 10-29-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    ■ Need an eNom retail/reseller account? PM me

Your post is assuming a lot, most of which isn't even required.

First of all, he doesn't need a ptr record and that has absolutely nothing to do with what he asked for.

Second, that zone file is rather convoluted and looks like something whm would make ()

Also, magically having the zone file isn't going to do anything - it needs to be added to the named.conf (or whatever file you're using to specify zone files).

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    There's really no quick tutorial...the basic steps would be to add the domain record to named and then to add the virtualhost directive to the httpd.conf.

I'd highly recommend installing some kind of free panel (like webmin) to help you with this. If you don't know what you're doing it can be fairly confusing.
    So how far will those basic steps get me?

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    Your post is assuming a lot, most of which isn't even required.

First of all, he doesn't need a ptr record and that has absolutely nothing to do with what he asked for.

Second, that zone file is rather convoluted and looks like something whm would make ()

Also, magically having the zone file isn't going to do anything - it needs to be added to the named.conf (or whatever file you're using to specify zone files).
    I was trying to give example of basic setup for named. I edited my post and added named.conf example.

So how far will those basic steps get me?
    Well I mean, that's generally how you do it. I didn't go into specifics of HOW to do those things, but liandra gave you an alright example of using named. I was also assuming you're using named and apache (since they're the most common).

a good place to start learning about virtualhost would be
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/

assuming you're using Linux+Apache

Your assumptions are correct, I'm using Apache & Linux. So for now I'm going to try liandra's little how-to, unless anyone has a better way or more explained how-to.

Thx for the write up liandra

So for now I'm going to try liandra's little how-to, unless anyone has a better way or more explained how-to.
    You said you already have one domain on there - rather than creating a new file I'd just cp firstdomain newdomain and then add edit it to your liking. Then add it to named.conf (using your first domain as an example).

Why not install a free control panel like webmin? Might be a bit quicker and help you learn how to do it next time.

Alan