Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

which is better asp or php?

A friend told me that asp was pro and that php was for newbies...

He seems to know a lot so, is that true?

I personally use PHP since the last couple of years and I really like it. Althought, I did tried ASP once or twice but didn't quite fit into that structure though.

I think that asp architecture is vastly superior to the way that php runs on most sites. But does it reall matter what type of architecture a system is built on if both are good enough?

As for the comment that asp is for pros and php is for noobs, that is one of those dumb statements that would make me question how smart this guy really is.

People program more in PHP then any other language. I highly recommend using PHP over any other language, ASP is very costly and it also runs on windows platform which is not the best operating system for security and does seem to take there time in patching security flaws.

PHP used on most linux/unix platforms, to me.. has better security and performance then anything language, if you set it up correctly. I have worked with rails and it has it's flaws just like any other language. I find php to be the most advanced language for my needs but I do use rails for certain things.

I'd honestly stay away from Windows/ASP/MSSQL very costly and not worth it. I'd stick to linux-unix/php/mysql <- just my opinion tho

I'd honestly stay away from Windows/ASP/MSSQL very costly and not worth it. I'd stick to linux-unix/php/mysql <- just my opinion tho
    I second that thought.

I'm not sure that horizon's opinion counts for much, certainly not if looping over an Array to create a new Array instance with different ordering is an apparently insurmountable personal challenge.

This isn't a personal attack but a reminder that opinions need to be judged in part on the experience of the poster on the topc matter.

As for the topic itself, there are professional programmers and amateurs alike using both ASP and PHP. One uses one over the other more because of operating system preference than anything. You either buy into the Windows OS / .NET way of doing things, or you don't. If not, PHP, or other alternatives - commonly Perl, Python and Ruby - will be appealing to professional or amateur alike.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

This isn't a personal attack but a reminder that opinions need to be judged in part on the experience of the poster on the topc matter.
    Every offtopics subjects that points out another user from another discussion is considered a personal attack. Your point has no meaning under this topic.

PHP has my vote.. It is more compatible with other operating systems.

It would, indeed, be great to have a poll for PHP and ASP on this forum (if it doesn't exist already).

PHP is better. I kinda see PHP5 as like the C++ for web programming as C/C++ is to general programming. ASP.Net has a lot of objects going for it, at a certain point having objects might be nice and might be quicker for programming, but it eliminate the ability to do lower level stuffs. ASP.Net is nicer if you have to do stuffs like web services where ASPX has a lot of specialization for those stuffs. But for other general web program then PHP is better. Sometimes it's just quicker to be able to do things with a single function instead of having to create an object. PHP dominate because of it portability and deployment capabilities. Until there's a .Net for Linux I wouldn't consider doing anything with ASPX.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

AS others have said, with PHP you don't need Windows, you don't need .NET, you don't need as powerful a computer, and it runs almost everywhere.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Quote Originally Posted by horizon
    Every offtopics subjects that points out another user from another discussion is considered a personal attack. Your point has no meaning under this topic.
    I beg to differ. The original poster is asking "which is better, ASP or PHP" and you've ventured forth your opinion. Granted, you seconded the opinion someone else ventured that centred on cost - valid.

I ventured my opinion on the usefulness of yours, in this context, because you can't possibly be relied upon to judge one language over another if you don't even know how to use basic features of a language (PHP) such as looping or understand one of its principal data structures (arrays).

That's a clear headed observation, not a personal attack.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 10-29-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Well it really depends on what you're trying to acomplish. Obviously both are powerful programming languages, but PHP seems to get the job done very well, especially when working with Content Management Systems. PHP has also been claimed to be one of the easiest programming languages to learn and use.
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)

I prefer php. Because I'm good at it.

There is no such thing as 'better'. It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you're stuck with a Unix or Linux platform, you really dont want to do ASP. If you're on Windows, you might not want to do PHP. It also depends on the versioni, both latest versions are quite mature.

Some find ASP work nicely because it integrates nicely in IIS and the OS,
    others find that a disadvantage because it makes tracking down errors harder.

Some find PHP easier because the syntax is closer to C++ and Javascript,
    others prefer ASP because it came from VB and has an easy to understand
    syntax.

It really depends on what you want.

I'd go with PHP. You can run PHP anywhere. ASP, however requires a windows box.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

asp has been replaced by asp.net.

asp.net from a programming point of view is a very neat language. It is truly Oo. unlikyl php which is more similar to c++.

the php vs asp.net debate is like c++ vs java.

it seems to me as linux continues to grow in the hosting industry and some would even voice the opinion that it has out grown the windows market - php would be the one to go with. just my opinion.

The original poster ought to be asked "why only those two choices"?

I think a better question to ask first is "what platforms will you need to develop on", and if the answer includes non Microsoft platforms, then ASP / ASP.NET suddenly are off the table (I don't consider Mono a realistic platform for hosting .NET apps on non MS OS's at this point).

If multiple platform support is gone, then ASP disappears and you are left with PHP. If you want multiple platform support and alternatives to PHP then you have quite a lot of choice:

PHP
    Cold Fusion to some degree (fewer platforms supported)
    Perl
    Python
    Ruby
    Smalltalk, Lisp and other languages the original poster may never have heard of.

Of the non PHP alternatives, Python and Ruby have the most current momentum but there's a ton of Perl web code out there too, running big sites.

If you want universal support on web hosts, PHP wins, although there are more and more web hosts supporting Python and Ruby (on Rails) app stacks. Hint, this might be a good differentiator for all the me-too hosters out there.

rofl ms - your friend is a noob
    lrn2nix

(sorry you know what they say about stupid questions...)

The only thing I have to say here is :
    The question has been around for a while and there is no answer. Php people will say Php and Asp will say the opposite. I had quite an argument the other day on the same topic as a matter of fact. It all comes down to the individual programmer and his/hers ease of use of the platform. You can argue that asp costs more in terms of development of a website but the same goes for a secure php site.
    My question here is : which beer do you prefer
    Cheap web hosting
    Any CMS pre-installed
    Joomla Hosting

ASP is horrid horrid thing. ASP.net is different story. I like C# better then PHP but I dislike all the tools and stuff Microsoft built around it and I chose to work with PHP rather then ASP.NET. Which is better depends on many things: your skill, platform cost, target market and personal preference to name a few. In my case - I simply cannot stand windows desktop, I do not understand why would I have to pay for less then perfect software and finally I am control freak so my choice (even as I said that I love C#) is PHP running on linux. When mod_csharp becomes available on apache I might make a switch.

About PHP being for "noobs" - It takes only notepad and cheap hosting account to get going with it and you can download bunch of freely available stuff and call yourself PHP programmer. So yeah, I would say there is much large noob/pro ratio in PHP community. That being said I saw what kind of code some pro ASP.NET, MS-certified-gold-partner-and-whatnot, shops put out and they are not too far from being noobs themselves. It always gets down to the person writing the code not the platform itself.

ASp sucks. ASP.net rocks.
    Their code behind approach is very nice.
    For those who are searching for an ASP.NET clone in PHP, try Prado framework

Quote Originally Posted by grabmail
    ASp sucks. ASP.net rocks.
    Depends on your needs.

If you got basic need, the code behind is really far from being needed.

Beside, ASP 3 is an older version that isnt as object oriented as c#/vb.net is. It's different.

Just to dispel some of the FUD here, PHP is used on many large sites, like Wikipedia for example. If you want something comparable to ASP.net without relying on microsoft, try taking a look at java servlet/jsp. There are many other options out there, give them a try instead of just listening to language zealots.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast