DNS forwarding using shell

Hello,

I neet to know how to solve one (I guess not so complicate) issue:

We have customer who has account on our *nix box server and who wanna move to our h-sphere reseller platform because now he want to use asp and mssql.

If it`s .com domain, for example, I would be able to easy change NS1 and NS2, but since this is ccTLD (and we will wait 10-15 days) I need quick solution for DNS forwarding.

ns1.oldnameserver -> ns1.newnamerserver
    ns2.oldnamesrever -> ns2.newnamerserver

se when I run ping for example, I have to have reply from new server.

I have shell access but I don`t know how to modify zone or named, since obviously I can not do this using whm.

Thank you,

Strahinja

The two simple approaches that come to mind are:

Delegate records from the existing DNS servers to the new DNS servers.

or

Make the existing DNS servers slaves for the new DNS servers for that zone.

Your server admin should be able to help you get that setup.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Eric,

thank you for reply, delegate record for that zone sounds like a good solution, would you plese provide more details about further steps?

It would only work for records off the root domain, so it's a little kludgy. You'd have to configure the MX records on the current DNS servers to point to the new mail server address manually, and you'd probably want to have a redirect setup on the local webserver to redirect domain.tld to www.domain.tld. Once that is done, you just need to reference the records to move over like this in the zone file:

www.domain.tld IN NS ns1.newnameserver.tld
    www.domain.tld IN NS ns2.newnameserver.tld

Basicaly you are treating each record as a new subdomain and delegating the authority to the new name servers.

By far the cleaner approach would be to make the existing servers slaves of the new servers for that zone. It's only about 5 lines of configuration on named.conf on the new and old servers. Basically you just need to change from type master to type slave on the existing servers, define the new servers to be masters, and make sure you allow transfers on the new servers from the previous servers. You can find all kinds of applicable documentation here:

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

If you need more help, consulting with a server management company would probably be the best path to take.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."