Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google + Hosting

Will it happen ?

Will Google move into the hosting industry ? I'm almost scared to ask.

Well, they already offer blog hosting .

Should small (and even large) budget hosting companies be worried ?

Would Google actually compete with their own advertisers ? Would that even be "moral" ?

Lots of questions

wow googles going into hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by yagigain
    Will it happen ?

Will Google move into the hosting industry ? I'm almost scared to ask.

Well, they already offer blog hosting .

Would Google actually compete with their own advertisers ? Would that even be "moral" ?

Lots of questions
    Google appears to fast be becoming the "WalMart of the internet" lol ~

I really look for some HUGE accounting scam to come out on CNN and bury their stock - like Enron~

Google

I don't look for google to become part of the hosting industry, but then again. You never know.
    Last edited by MrZodiac; 10-29-2006 at 10:04 AM.
    ModulaOne Network - Premium, Reliable, & Affordable
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee. 15 Day Money-Back Guarantee.
    cPanel/ WHM | Nginx + Varnish | CloudFlare | Softaculous

Doesnt matter to me I got a fair share of stock in google

Quote Originally Posted by MrZodiac
    I don't look for google to become part of the hosting industry, but then again. You never know.
    I sure hope not - or they will likely become the next tripod haha

Yeah I'm running in terror now
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Quote Originally Posted by Global2
    I really look for some HUGE accounting scam to come out on CNN and bury their stock - like Enron~
    I highly doubt it. That's why they have auditors and all these regulations. Well, they do in the UK anyway
    Sean

Yes, I remember many years ago, when I was doing my search engine submitting (by hand) and submitting my pages to this strange name "Google" ... then it became my friend, but now it could be a monster !

Would they bite the hands that feed them ... or more to the point will advertisers feed the mouth that bites them ?

It's a shame how public companies have to keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger ...... bring back capatilism !

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker
    Google will NEVER be able to provide the personalized service that smaller hosting companies DELIVER and that customers want and appreciate - I read a review on our company recently from a client thats been with us since 99 and she said she appreciates that she doesnt have to push 1 for english or even dive thru some extensive phone system to get to a real person -

I hear things like that and remember them everytime I think about installing a fancy phone system too ..... I hate talking to those things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Global2

Google will NEVER be able to provide the personalized service that smaller hosting companies DELIVER and that customers want and appreciate - I read a review on our company recently from a client thats been with us since 99 and she said she appreciates that she doesnt have to push 1 for english or even dive thru some extensive phone system to get to a real person -

I hear things like that and remember them everytime I think about installing a fancy phone system too ..... I hate talking to those things myself.

Exactly, the amount the my customers pay for a 200mb account is more than the average 5GB reseller account advertised in the offers section of WHT. Customer like this are not even vaguely interested in going to Google, they want a person in the same area as them offering great support. Thye're not ringing me asking HOW to create an additional email account, they ring me to DO it for them
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker
    Exactly, the amount the my customers pay for a 200mb account is more than the average 5GB reseller account advertised in the offers section of WHT. Customer like this are not even vaguely interested in going to Google, they want a person in the same area as them offering great support. Thye're not ringing me asking HOW to create an additional email account, they ring me to DO it for them
    Same here and to be totally honest - I dont care if we NEVER sell 5 GB plans as advertised in the offers section,
    Those customers seem to change hosts weekly/monthly and its for a reason.

Customers looking for reasonable accounts with modest accomodations are quite often the best to have, they stay forever and I sure dont mind a phone call to setup an email account or even empty their mailbox when they forget to download mail.

The call requesting 3 gigs of disk space and 70ips scares the hell out of me everytime tho.

Google also just bought out UTube which is another step towards hosting. I wouldn't be surprised if they started off by offering free hosting and then working there way up

Google is trying to be the next Walmart of the net...

If google gets into this industry there will definetly be a sudden boom in their sales as small comapnies finish then there will be a fall then small companies will come out again for sure.

Its the business cycle ive seen this happen alot, as scared as i am i know google will perish if it expands too much.

It could always attempt to go head-to-head against Yahoo!, though I find that a bit stupid of Google. It'll stop making you feel 1337 [Pardon the AOL kiddie speak] and will just make you feel like another drone, like I feel when I use Yahoo!.

It's not completely out-there, and google is popular enough to pull it off, yahoo!'s done it before aswell. My verdict: If they do it, good luck, and let's hope they put a free hosting offer aswell for gmail users atleast. That would be great if they brought free-hosting, as geocities is now usable only if you pay, and the accounts that geocities gives you for paid hosting are smaller than some free accounts I've used.

Actually I didn't want to mention it .. but they are already offering free hosting in beta form, hence my post here, but you have to use their site design software (at least at this point).

btw what is the big deal with 5 Gig clients/ hosting plans ? I'de say 5 Gig is getting small. A 750 Gig Seagate costs $379 or times 2 for a RAID setup. 200 Meg would barely hold a few average email accounts nowadays let alone modern website / log files / MySQL dbs.

You could still offer 5 Gig plans (or 10 or 20) and offer your clients good service ....

btw what is the big deal with 5 Gig clients/ hosting plans ?

We were previously discussing a host this morning that was offering 500 gig of disk space and an insane amt of bw to go with it for like 5 bucks a month the 5 gig marker was really just used as an example not a literal -

thats what fueled my fire - thats clearly gross overselling at its worst-http://www.xstatichosting.com/

Yeah I agree with that. Check out his TOS, I bet you can't store 'electronic media" or similar !

But 5 Gig is to 750 Gig as 500 Meg use to be to 73 Gig ... i.e Not big overselling.

Yeah I agree with that. Check out his TOS, I bet you can't store 'electronic media" or similar !

But 5 Gig is to 750 Gig as 500 Meg use to be to 73 Gig ... i.e Not big overselling.
    Yer right and thats ASSUMING hes got that kinda hardware -- doubtful most dont.

And I dont know what your profit margins look like but crunch the numbers on that - a 750 gig drive containing NOTHING except site data at 5 gig per account =150 customers per unit - say at 4.95 per mo = 742.50
    Less power - labor,{QUALITY BANDWIDTH NOT CHEAP CRAP} taxes, licenses-say RHEL / Cpanel/Fantastico and those are just 3, excuse my french but not very damn profitable unless you still oversell it about X's 2!! Its a business not a charity unless ofcoz thats what yer running.

hmm, anyway, sorry to get off topic.

well if it does it will be google hosting BETA for years, lol

Quote Originally Posted by retrodata
    well if it does it will be google hosting BETA for years, lol
    no kidding~

I have no problem with Google offering hosting.

If you are offering your clients what they want, and are pleased, then they will stay.

Here's my take.
    To many business owners, Google is not looked at as a professional company, just an over-talked about search engine that doesn't look pretty. Also, most people don't know that Google offers more than just search. If you look at their homepage, it tells you nothing about the extra services that Google provides. Google requires the web surfer to explore the "more" link. I would venture to say that most people only go to Google to search for something, not to "explore" their offerings. This in turn makes people like us advertise free for Google letting others know about what they offer. So when Google starts offering hosting, I will first know from websites like WHT
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

If google would to provide hosting, all the web hosting business going belong to them.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

www.googlepages.com

They already started providing web hosting.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

From a business perspective, Google did not buy YouTube as an entryway into hosting. They bought YouTube because of the number of eyeballs available for advertising.

From a hosting standpoint, it doesn't matter if Google gets into the market or not. Yahoo is already in the market, and hasn't made a dent in the industry. Although some hosts who spend all their time at WHT would make it seem otherwise with their $2.95/month accounts, it takes a good amount of effort and resources to offer quality hosting, and companies have to look very closely at that investment.

Are you referring to http://code.google.com/hosting/?

If so, it looks to be more of an attempt to host programming projects rather then personal/business website hosting. I'd say more of an attempt to do something similar to SourceForge.

Maybe I got the wrong project though. :-)

- Rory

Well it's hard to tell if Yahoo did make a dent or not, if they have 100 of thousands of clients then there must be a dent, but how do you measure it ? Maybe you make 5 sales a day instead of 6 ?

Anyway Google is Google, Yahoo is Yahoo.

From Googles website,

"Don't worry about hosting.
    Your web pages will live on your own site at http://yoursitename.googlepages.com "

Ok, so that is no major threat, unless you run a free hosting company of course.

If they move to offer $5.00 unlimited everything (and they have the resources to do that, they already offer 2Gig of free Gmail space) with no ads it could take a big chunk out of the bottom of the market. Google has the 'name' and (for some strange reason) on the Internet when something has the 'name of the moment' it becomes mainstream very quickly even if it's an old idea (I know all about that .. but that's another story).

Hopefully they will just stick to the Free Hosting thing as a method to expand their ad network. In that scenario it could actually be a benifit to paid hosts as they can use that network to advertise their services to those that want for example a domain name, instead of just a sub domain.

BUT if you take a look at this,

https://www.google.com/a/

You can use their free page creator to upload to your OWN domain, and as it says, it is all hosted by Google .......

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayer1960
    wow googles going into hosting?
    This is how rumours being! Someone will read this, and say to others "GOOGLE IS GOING TO START WEB HOSTING!" I mean.. Did you even read the post?!

But it won't be long, by the look of it.

"Is there a premium version of this service?
    Not at this time. However, if your organization has advanced needs not met by this free service, let us know and we'll get in touch when a premium service is available for your organization."

Quote Originally Posted by thetimehascome
    From a business perspective, Google did not buy YouTube as an entryway into hosting. They bought YouTube because of the number of eyeballs available for advertising.
    Perhaps, but then again you're assuming that the ad revenue from YouTube would begin to cover its estimated $500,000 monthly losses. You're also assuming that advertisers won't catch on to the fact that MySpace and YouTube have extensive user overlap, and devalue the market for advertising like they did when Bubble 1.0 burst. Everyone's now banking on exactly the same business model being somehow more viable than before, my opinion is we're witnessing the inflation of Bubble 2.0.

Realize that Google has been buying up massive amounts of dark fiber in recent years and is building datacenters worldwide. Obviously they intend to get into the ISP/Hosting markets, they need to find some sustainable revenue somewhere. In light of this, it would make sense that they've purchased YouTube as a loss leader for some upcoming hosting/access play, in addition to the eyeball factor. What is YouTube, really, besides free hosting?
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_au
    Google is trying to be the next Walmart of the net...
    He, i agree!

Quote Originally Posted by digitwebhost
    He, i agree!
    Expect they probably pay there workers better than walmart, and there workers are probably not young teens.

Very true! Some young teens can be very smart though...you just have to find the right ones!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBison
    Perhaps, but then again you're assuming that the ad revenue from YouTube would begin to cover its estimated $500,000 monthly losses. You're also assuming that advertisers won't catch on to the fact that MySpace and YouTube have extensive user overlap, and devalue the market for advertising like they did when Bubble 1.0 burst. Everyone's now banking on exactly the same business model being somehow more viable than before, my opinion is we're witnessing the inflation of Bubble 2.0.
    Actually, I'm assuming no such thing, nor did I state anything about ad revenues. The sole purpose for purchasing something like YouTube would be for the eyeball factor, and nothing else. YouTube makes no money, has never made money, and will likely not make any significant money for a long, long time - if ever.

Realize that Google has been buying up massive amounts of dark fiber in recent years and is building datacenters worldwide. Obviously they intend to get into the ISP/Hosting markets, they need to find some sustainable revenue somewhere. In light of this, it would make sense that they've purchased YouTube as a loss leader for some upcoming hosting/access play, in addition to the eyeball factor. What is YouTube, really, besides free hosting?
    Loss leading acquisitions are nothing new. There are numerous other ways to develop a YouTube-like system for free hosting if the provider wants to, especially for Google. Without spending a couple of billion on it. This, to me, is just another example of sinking large maounts of capital into a project that may pay off some dividend at some undetermined faroff point in the future.

Regardless of whether Google is building out datacenters or not, it still matters very little if Google jumps into the hosting world. Just as the world didn't end for the Chicken Littles when Yahoo opened up hosting, it will not end if Google decides to invest part of itself into the hosting market.

Yahoo did it, Microsoft is doing it...why not google.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

LOL - exactly - if anything, they would create a bigger market for the rest of us through their shear incompetance...

it takes a good amount of effort and resources to offer quality hosting, and companies have to look very closely at that investment.
    Exactly - customers - whether they be business or consumers have constantly shown companies that they need to focus on core competencies in order to be successfuly. Corporation after corporation over the last 6-10 years have dropped periphery services and or outsourced these services in order to focus on their core competencies... I absolutely LOVE when companies like godaddy, yahoo and in theory for the purposes of this thread, google - get into a market they know nothing about and have no idea how to service...

Ah, here's that article:

Hiding in Plain Sight, Google Seeks More Power
    By JOHN MARKOFF and SAUL HANSELL

THE DALLES, Ore., June 8 — On the banks of the windswept Columbia River, Google is working on a secret weapon in its quest to dominate the next generation of Internet computing. But it is hard to keep a secret when it is a computing center as big as two football fields, with twin cooling plants protruding four stories into the sky.

The complex, sprawling like an information-age factory, heralds a substantial expansion of a worldwide computing network handling billions of search queries a day and a growing repertory of other Internet services.

And odd as it may seem, the barren desert land surrounding the Columbia along the Oregon-Washington border — at the intersection of cheap electricity and readily accessible data networking — is the backdrop for a multibillion-dollar face-off among Google, Microsoft and Yahoo that will determine dominance in the online world in the years ahead.

Microsoft and Yahoo have announced that they are building big data centers upstream in Wenatchee and Quincy, Wash., 130 miles to the north. But it is a race in which they are playing catch-up. Google remains far ahead in the global data-center race, and the scale of its complex here is evidence of its extraordinary ambition.

Even before the Oregon center comes online, Google has lashed together a global network of computers — known in the industry as the Googleplex — that is a singular achievement. "Google has constructed the biggest computer in the world, and it's a hidden asset," said Danny Hillis, a supercomputing pioneer and a founder of Applied Minds, a technology consulting firm, referring to the Googleplex.

The design and even the nature of the Google center in this industrial and agricultural outpost 80 miles east of Portland has been a closely guarded corporate secret. "Companies are historically sensitive about where their operational infrastructure is," acknowledged Urs Holzle, Google's senior vice president for operations.

Behind the curtain of secrecy, the two buildings here — and a third that Google has a permit to build — will probably house tens of thousands of inexpensive processors and disks, held together with Velcro tape in a Google practice that makes for easy swapping of components. The cooling plants are essential because of the searing heat produced by so much computing power.

The complex will tap into the region's large surplus of fiber optic networking, a legacy of the dot-com boom.

The fact that Google is behind the data center, referred to locally as Project 02, has been reported in the local press. But many officials in The Dalles, including the city attorney and the city manager, said they could not comment on the project because they signed confidentiality agreements with Google last year.

Today even the closest Google watchers have lost precise count of how big the system is. The best guess is that Google now has more than 450,000 servers spread over at least 25 locations around the world. The company has major operations in Ireland, and a big computing center has recently been completed in Atlanta. Connecting these centers is a high-capacity fiber optic network that the company has assembled over the last few years.

"Google is like the Borg," said Milo Medin, a computer networking expert who was a founder of the 1990's online service @Home, referring to the robotic species on "Star Trek" that was forcibly assembled from millions of species and computer components. "I know of no other carrier or enterprise that distributes applications on top of their computing resource as effectively as Google."

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/06/1.../14search.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast