Question [cPanel smartcheck] Possible Hard Drive Failure Soon

I keep receiving the following messages (email):

S.M.A.R.T Errors on /dev/hda
    From Command: /usr/sbin/smartctl -q errorsonly -H -l selftest -l error /dev/hda
    Warning: ATA error count 44 inconsistent with error log pointer 5

ATA Error Count: 44 (device log contains only the most recent five errors) Error 44 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 6264 hours (261 days + 0 hours) Error 43 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 6253 hours (260 days + 13 hours) Error 42 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 6253 hours (260 days + 13 hours) Error 41 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 6253 hours (260 days + 13 hours) Error 40 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 6253 hours (260 days + 13 hours)
    ----END /dev/hda--

The HD is a maxtor 80gb, so I used maxtors hd checking tool and the hd passed.

So are the messages an os problem?

cPanel/WHM
    CentOS 4.4

Thanks

I trust Maxtor disks about as far as I can throw them. I would suggest to be safe that you ask the datacenter to replace the disk with a Western Digital RAID Edition disk and then copy the information over. Even better would be to setup RAID-1. The disk might only be 8 months old or thereabouts but it could just die very quickly
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

agree with a2b2, Maxtor has been giving faulty drives for most of the servers we have used after a year in production. You should change it as soon as you can..
    Tweakservers : Authorised Reseller of SmarterMail | SmarterStats | SmarterStats | Mailenable

A few years back we did a block of 10 servers when starting out which had some 40GB Maxtors in, real budget end machines. Anyway with 6 months I ended up replacing every single disk as they all died with Segates, and most of those are still going today.. I might of got a bad batch but I'm just avoiding them now
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

You didn't get a bad batch. Maxtor drives simply cannot handle heat especially the poor cooling involved in a server environment.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Maxtors seem fine in pc's, all my pc's have maxtor drives. Thats why I decided to go for a maxtor in my server, but they dont seem to like being on 24x7!!

There IDEs are bad, the SATAs are nice.

I would move off the drive asap.. Tell your provider the drive is going back, ask them to clone it to a new drive, ask them to leave the old drive in the server so you can mount it if any problems.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 10-29-2006 at 01:41 PM.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn